Need a replacement for my zen ray primes

Bryant

FNG
A few years ago I purchased some zen ray prime 8x42s after reading good reviews on this and other sites

I loved the glass. It is really amazing for the price but I have had issues with the build quality

now zen ray is out of business and I have one barrel fogging on me

what should I be looking for as a replacement set of binoculars. I want something with a great warranty from a company that is not likely to go out of business

hoping to find some that have glass comparable to the zen ray primes for a fair price

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gen 1 razors would be comparable and typically a good value on the used market.
What's your budget?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bryant

FNG
Maybe 750 or so. Possibly more if I limp through this season with cheap glass and save up.

wish I could find a deal on used swaro slc’s!

the viper HD’s at cabelas for 300 are tempting. Would I be disappointed?

Last edited:

fatrascal

WKR
I once owned the Zen Ray's. I would say the Vortex Viper is similar or look at Leupold BX4. If you have $750 and have the possibility to save more then I would go for a used deal on the slc's from rokslide classifieds. Or look at Meopta.
Nowadays you have lots of options. Fatrascal

OP
B

Bryant

FNG
I once owned the Zen Ray's. I would say the Vortex Viper is similar or look at Leupold BX4. If you have $750 and have the possibility to save more then I would go for a used deal on the slc's from rokslide classifieds. Or look at Meopta.
Nowadays you have lots of options. Fatrascal
Did you have the zen ray primes or a different model? If the vipers are comparable to the primes I might go that route

vipers for $300 seems like a good deal.

Firehawk

WKR
Optically, I really liked my Primes. They were stellar. Until.....the little black speck showed up in my left barrel and the focus knob broke. I was really sad, but had a better bino already for my daily use. Just recently, I pulled out those Primes and again remembered how much I liked them. Seemed so well built, but obviously not. Too bad for sure.

Anyway, I had replaced them with a Maven C1 and I thought the image was similar, although the Primes have a much wider FOV. I just bought an 8x42 Viper that I am waiting to show up and I will compare them, but decided I wasn't going to send the Primes to the folks at SOR to fix as it could cost several hundred dollars. And I still wouldn't have a warranty on the bino. So I bought the Viper now as it will be a great back up bino (son has the C1 still) and if they break, Vortex will take care of them. I will let you know how the image compares.

FH

fatrascal

WKR
Bryant, it was so long ago that I cant remember if I had the Primes. But I remember everybody on the forums talking about how good they are and they were right up there with Swarovski. So I got the latest greatest that they had at the time and like many bino's that people rave about and swear they are just as good as Swarovski, I found them to be blury around the edges and cheaply built. They made me dizzy looking through them. I have found this to be true with lots of new latest greatest bino. Not bad for their price but nowadays there are better options. Fatrascal.