Need a new scope after 20 years...market has changed

ElPollo

WKR
I actually looked at the Swaro Z3 when I first started looking...based on swaro reputation. I have since read some things about this particular model (Z3) that leads me to believe it may not be appropriate for a muzzleloader. Reliability/ability to take recoil is my number one consideration here.
Recoil is definitely a thing on modern in-line muzzleloaders. I used a Primary Arms 1-6x on one several years ago. It wouldn’t hold zero either. Ended up selling the rifle when New Mexico banned scopes on muzzleloaders for hunting. I calculated the recoil energy on that gun once and it was 2x the recoil of a 9# 300 win mag.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
My read through these forums has me definitely interested in a SWFA, but looking around they seem to all be on backorder. Not sure if this a long-term thing, like reloading components.

Last edited:

TFrank

WKR
Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 (cost vs use)
I picked one of these up last year. Like you, I hadn’t been in the scope market for many years. Very happy with the nightforce and they get a lot of deserved praise.

Nightforce all the way. Have SHV about a year now. After a whole season sitting in rigs and side by sides bouncing around when I went to sight it in was still spot on.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I have found myself in need of a new scope. I haven't purchased or researched scopes in about 15 years, and the scope I need to replace is over 20 years old. My has the market changed. I need some help/recommendations as I am not familiar with a lot of what is offered today. The scope I am replacing is a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. It has been great up until this year when something internal let go and POI started shifting all over the place. The gun I will be rescoping is a Thompson Center Omega muzzleloader, .45 caliber. This is a hunting gun, and is very accurate. Typically shoots around 1 MOA or less with the load I use. Range is 300 yds maximum...and that would be paper only. Useful hunting range is 200 yds and under, with typical shots usually in the 50 yd range.

My priority for the new scope is as follows, in order of priority:
1) Holds zero and doesn't break under recoil
2) Generous eye relief
3) Uncomplicated reticle
4) Glass quality and brightness, especially low light/dawn/dusk

I have reviewed much of the scope reviews on this site. That saved me from a purchase I almost made. As a result, I have a list of possibilities:

1) SWFA SS HD 3-9x42
2) Zeiss Conquest V4 3-10x44
3) Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40
4) Burris Signature HD 2-10x40

Also considered but leaning against:
1) Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 (cost vs use)
2) Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 (reviews of the company)
3) Leupold VX-3 HD 3.5-10x40 (Almost purchased...rejected after finding reviews on this sight)
4) Leupold FX-3 6x42 (not available)
5) SWFA 6x42 SS (not sure if I want a fixed power)

Thoughts or any others I should consider? I have rejected most sub $200 scopes due to quality, poor reviews, and country of origin.
I’d give a strong look to the Trijicon Credo. They are blowing the 3-9x40 models out on sale at EuroOptic for under $550 shipped. I do not own this model but I own a Credo 4-16 that I like a lot. I like it so much that I am considering buying one of the 3-9x40 models just to have around as I don’t have an extra rifle to mount it on. For a little more money, they have the Credo HX (regular credo is mil and HX is MOA, I think) in 2.5-10x56 but the bell is enormous. Trijicon has great customer service; I have at least three of their products and they always respond promptly with answers to questions. Never had to actually use their warranty, though.

I also have a Zeiss Conquest that is very nice but honestly, after reading other people’s complaints about Zeiss’ warranty and customer service, I doubt I’d buy it again.

OP
L
Looking at the Credo 3-9x40...specs look good...Any reticle recommended over the other? Does red or green matter?

OP
L
Looked harder at the Credo. From the looks on the website and several reviews, I think I like the reticle on the SWFA better. The SWFA reticle just looks like it would work out better for my uses.

it's 4.4 mils for me to get my 50 cal thor from 100 to 300 yards, so IMO a 300 yard muzzy requires dialing. i have had a swfa 3-9 and currently have a 6x on my inline, either is a fine choice IMO.

The downside is that swfa's are super hard to buy. i've had a 3-9 backordered since 1/17/23, when it arrives it'll go on the inline.

of the stuff that's actually available, an SHV or a trijicon is the way to go. I tried a credo hx 1-4 on my inline last year, but the eye relief was terrible and the reticle was laughably thin. sold it after 1 range trip.

OP
L
Has a drop test actually been done on the SWFA 3-9x42 here? I found one for the 6x SWFA and the Credo 3-9x40.

OP
L
So here is where I am now

1) SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 - Top choice right now...but backorder only
2) Zeiss Conquest V4 3-10x44 - eliminated
3) Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 - would love to see a drop test on this one as it seems popular on rokslide...but can't imagine it would pass. Eliminated.
4) Burris Signature HD 2-10x40 - eliminated due to country of origin.

Added for consideration:
1) Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with forceplex reticle...cost still an issue, but it is available
2) SWFA SS 6x42 - Still would need to backorder and I still favor the 3-9x42
3) Trijicon Credo 3-9x40: Like the SWFA 3-9x42 better, but the Credo is available

I am not pressed to have this scope "right now". With ReseachinStuff having a SFWA on order since January...when would one expect these things to become available? Is there some sort of pattern to it...like a big shipment around November...or is it entirely random when they show up as available?

I emailed swfa yesterday about the next 3-9 shipment and the answer was they do not have an eta on its arrival.

Marshfly

WKR
That people are suggesting the SWFA for this gun makes zero sense. No reason for exposed turrets for this gun and use. I own SWFA scopes but they are for situations that need dialing. Having exposed turrets when not needed is asking for issues. It’s only a liability.

Trijicon Credo 3-9x40. Done.

Simple. Light. Illuminated. Reliable. Everything you need for 300yards and less. The quality and clear view of the Trijicon will make you smile when you use it.

Even though they work, the SWFAs do not. They are simple tools and function as such. They work. But they are boring and ugly and feel cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, and to shoot my muzzleloader at 300 yards it's a 4.4 mil come up. The credo 3-9 pictures I've seen are a duplex reticle and capped turrets. I don't see a way to use that for 300 yard muzzleloader shooting.

Marshfly

WKR
Yes, and to shoot my muzzleloader at 300 yards it's a 4.4 mil come up. The credo 3-9 pictures I've seen are a duplex reticle and capped turrets. I don't see a way to use that for 300 yard muzzleloader shooting.

This is not duplex. They make multiple models of that scope.
e1570ab8712cd638be3ab1731a6099ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I had to pass on a 212 yard shot last year because my inline was wearing a duplex scope with capped turrets. That's why it's wearing a swfa now- cheapest reliable dialing option.