National Forest CLOSED for 60 days, For "Public Health and Safety"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes

WKR
The congress and senate are raising the debt ceiling hopeful They don’t hold us hostage for long , California, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Washington , Montana
will cry till the rest of the usa pay for their stupidity
What are you talking about here?

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
If the FS can be found liable when a person dies in the forest when it's wet, then they can be found liable when the forest is dry as well, and the bottom line would be that the FS is always liable when people are out there of their own accord. That kind of thinking has no place in our nation......even though that's the sad and illogical direction our nation has gone. Always looking for someone else to blame.

I think this is where the closure comes from. Too many idiots in society as a whole.

We have all seen the worst of human behavior in our national forests.

If the two options for land owners are 1. private land owners, or 2. This kind of government ran public land

Which do we choose?

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
We don't own the public land, the government wants us to think that way.
The US Govt owns the land and allows you to access it. Way different than actually owning it.
I don't care how the laws are currently written. I care about a fundamental right to access free land that cannot be claimed, sold or blocked by any individual or agency. Like any other liberty we have. If you are doing nothing wrong, you should have the right to every liberty at all times no matter how inconvenient it becomes for those who would find it more expedient to suspend those liberties, for the sake of "order".

Government employees are public SERVANTS. We the people employ them through taxes to MANAGE our land. I understand that this is being reversed.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
I think this is where the closure comes from. Too many idiots in society as a whole.

We have all seen the worst of human behavior in our national forests.

If the two options for land owners are 1. private land owners, or 2. This kind of government ran public land

Which do we choose?
Yeah it sucks that people do dumb stuff, but thats part of being a human on earth.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
I think people should stop worrying what other individuals do with their life, enjoy your freedom, and defend it against those who want to take it. Isn't that why we go to war...? I know thats what I joined the infantry to do.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
"To provide for public health and safety, Forest Order 05-07-00-23-02 was issued on January 13, 2023 temporarily closing the Monterey, Santa Lucia, Santa Barbara and Ojai Ranger Districts for 60 days. The temporary closure is effective through March 14, 2023. The Mt. Pinos Ranger District is open and not affected by the Forest Closure Order,"

Here's for all the people who said the preemptive "Fire Closures" where a good thing...
Now the Government Employees have taken it upon themselves to keep you safe during wet conditions too, by keeping you the hell out of the forest. I thought it was their job to put up warning signs and maintain "improved" areas...?
If you believe an individuals safety is not the responsibility of any Government agency, then please call the Los Padres Regional at 805-968-6640, and tell them.

This is Government laziness and overreach at its best. I find the suspension of liberty much more dangerous to humanity than the elements of nature.
"To provide for public health and safety, Forest Order 05-07-00-23-02 was issued on January 13, 2023 temporarily closing the Monterey, Santa Lucia, Santa Barbara and Ojai Ranger Districts for 60 days. The temporary closure is effective through March 14, 2023. The Mt. Pinos Ranger District is open and not affected by the Forest Closure Order,"

Here's for all the people who said the preemptive "Fire Closures" where a good thing...
Now the Government Employees have taken it upon themselves to keep you safe during wet conditions too, by keeping you the hell out of the forest. I thought it was their job to put up warning signs and maintain "improved" areas...?
If you believe an individuals safety is not the responsibility of any Government agency, then please call the Los Padres Regional at 805-968-6640, and tell them.

This is Government laziness and overreach at its best. I find the suspension of liberty much more dangerous to humanity than the elements of nature.
Maybe a missed opportunity here? For sure don’t rut the roads, respect gates and whatnot. Be reasonable regarding the “tragedy of commons” issue. Muddy runoff info streams where steelhead spawn should not fly. But, a beautiful and unique part of the American experience is the availability of public land available to all. It’s an anomaly from a global perspective. Cherish and defend it. Nonviolent resistance, on this of all days, should ring some bells.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
Maybe a missed opportunity here? For sure don’t rut the roads, respect gates and whatnot. Be reasonable regarding the “tragedy of commons” issue. Muddy runoff info streams where steelhead spawn should not fly. But, a beautiful and unique part of the American experience is the availability of public land available to all. It’s an anomaly from a global perspective. Cherish and defend it. Nonviolent resistance, on this of all days, should ring some bells.
I just ran 10 non-violent miles on "closed" public land in the dark. You'd have a hard time finding my foot prints.

Unfortunately this is somewhat of a trend that I never remember happening before early 2020 when forests, boat ramps, rivers, parks ect were closed for Covid.

In September of 2020 the area I have done a lot of blacktail deer hunting and bear hunting had huge wild fires. For over two years the forest service had basically the entire fire area closed to all entry, including foot traffic. The map of the closure area was the perimeter of the giant wildfire.

I completely understand the roads they had to work on or around being closed. For over two years I could drive and park at a spot to access where I hunt. The only problem was after hiking 4 miles through the wilderness I hit the “closure”. Nothing has been done in the roadless areas that I know of since the fire. Now it’s open again.

So a giant area was closed to all access for over two years after the active fire, and in wilderness areas/roadless areas where there were no repairs being done.

This fire area was national forest

Glad it finally opened up for foot access at the end of last year. Can’t wait to get up there this spring when the snow melts

Okhotnik

WKR
It’s only going to get worse until Congress pulls their heads out of their asses and give more funding to land management agencies to increase salaries to retain employees. We’re seeing these types of closures in California as it’s almost the breaking point for many employees that work for the circus there. The morale of working for a land management agency anywhere in the country is pretty bad.
working from home to manage federal land for 3 years is super stressful. lol

Fishdog7

FNG

Sad it has to come to this!

Wyobull

FNG
It’s the forest circus, doesn’t seem to matter where you reside anymore. They (The federal government) are trying to keep us from using and protecting OUR land. This is why there are so many who want to put the control of the forest into the states hands. Although maybe a better idea then what we have now…many believe this would lead to the sale of public land to private entities. As residents of the good ol USofA we again get the big ol shaft.

MattB

WKR
I don't care how the laws are currently written. I care about a fundamental right to access free land that cannot be claimed, sold or blocked by any individual or agency. Like any other liberty we have.
The rights we have are enumerated in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. Where exactly do you think this right to access public land is laid out? If I had to guess, you are a 20 or 30-something who feels deeply entitled to rights and liberties that don’t actually exist.

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
I believe most of them do very little and never held accountable for anything.
Common sense is just non existen.
great pensions though 🤬

Don't know the details about this closure, although I know about a lot of the fire closures in New Mexico and supported them.

They probably aren't so much worried about people getting stuck - they're worried about the cost of road repair to the damage done by people driving on forest roads in super wet conditions. Many of the same people griping about government incompetence also gripe about crummy roads while road maintenance budgets get slashed.

I like the idea of viewing public land as "our land" and advocating for public land access, but remember that recreation is just one of several uses of these lands. It's not your personal playground or mine, not legally at least. And unfortunately a lot of members of the public treat the land horribly. It's really hard to protect the resource and keep people happy.

I believe most of them do very little and never held accountable for anything.
Common sense is just non existen.
great pensions though 🤬
The pensions aren't as great as they used to be...

working from home to manage federal land for 3 years is super stressful. lol
For the paper pushers they hate going back to work, but for the rest of us there’s been boots on the ground. Oh and the land management way? Higher GS grades to sit in the office while taking away jobs from those to go outside.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
The rights we have are enumerated in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. Where exactly do you think this right to access public land is laid out? If I had to guess, you are a 20 or 30-something who feels deeply entitled to rights and liberties that don’t actually exist.
Laws change everyday. I think its something that needs to be addressed and probably "enumerated" in the bill of rights. If it doesn't exist then it should.
I think it should be plainly laid out, so that the forest service employees cannot block public access when it's convenient for them, or at all.
And you dont know jack shit about me. Dudes like me are willing to kill and die for what we believe. We are willing to die for stagnant people like you, so you can sit on your couch in peace.
If you agree with the forest service closures then you are getting your way. Enjoy.
I am defending my way of life. Maybe you should figure out what you are willing to die for and focus more energy on that, instead of picking arguments with dudes who are on different path than you.

MattB

WKR
Laws change everyday. I think it’s something that needs to be addressed and probably "enumerated" in the bill of rights. If it doesn't exist then it should.
So you don’t know if this “fundamental right” actually exists, or the difference between rights and laws? Rant on and good luck with all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.