National Forest CLOSED for 60 days, For "Public Health and Safety"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

WKR
Im defiantly not a fan of gov overreach but cmon guys. Its been raining like crazy here in a state that does not get much rain. The roads are ****** and there are large and small slides everywhere. I can see the intent behind the closure. Passable roads could be ****** up for a loooooong time if they let people drive all over the place right now.
But Californians are experts at driving in the rain.

Don't love this but am also not going to get my panties in a wad over it. Resources are stretched pretty thin right now and I am not going to get bent over steps to make sure they don't get stretched even more.

MattB

WKR
I don't care if every access road and trail head in the entire State is trashed. Why should that stop me from marching through the backcountry on my own two feet?
When I left my parents house I assumed all responsibility for myself. I have two eyes and a brain to judge what's safe and unsafe. If I fail at that it is on me. And to prevent people from exercising that is inhuman.
Do you have the wherewithal to write a $10,000 check to cover the state/federal costs of recovering you from your march through the backcountry if something goes wrong?

Edit: If not, then stay home.

MattB

WKR
That can happen any day of the year... Why do you even go in the backcountry at all?
Just stay at home bud if you cant take care of yourself.
Says the guy who assumed all responsibility for himself when you left your parent's house. Sounds like the government tit is your silent partner.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
Says the guy who assumed all responsibility for himself when you left your parent's house. Sounds like the government tit is your silent partner.
I didn't say I would call for help, just stating examples.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
MattB, Question. Because of its high risk of death or use of emergency services should mountaineering be illegal?

Did you read the actual order and exemptions?

"... Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
(2) Owners or lessees of land in the area, to the extent necessary to access their land; ... "

You're good to go mister public land owner. 👍

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm pretty sure the government believes that holding every person's hand and protecting them in every situation is their prime directive. "We the people" definitely need to re-educate them. But unfortunately the majority of our population believes that's the government's prime directive as well. Spending money they don't have while holding everyone's hand. So that's what they vote for.

Last edited:
It's funny how everyone jumps to the political conclusions on anything like this.

Not saying I agree with the decision, but its not political. Its liability. If they say "yeah sure go ahead hike on in at your own risk", and a person hikes in and dies... how many of those hikers loved ones do you think would sue the forest service? Spoiler alert - the number is far greater than zero. The "at your own risk" sign holds about as much water as the signs on the back of dump trucks that say "stay back 100ft" and "not responsible for damaged windshields"(Spoiler alert - they are responsible regardless of what the sign says).

Fatcamp

WKR
Im defiantly not a fan of gov overreach but cmon guys. Its been raining like crazy here in a state that does not get much rain. The roads are ****** and there are large and small slides everywhere. I can see the intent behind the closure. Passable roads could be ****** up for a loooooong time if they let people drive all over the place right now.

Nature is dangerous. Should probably just keep people inside their apartments.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's funny how everyone jumps to the political conclusions on anything like this. That's because when the government is involved, it is ALWAYS political. It's the difference between two totally different ways of thinking......nanny state versus personal accountability and responsibility.

Not saying I agree with the decision, but its not political. Its liability. If they say "yeah sure go ahead hike on in at your own risk", and a person hikes in and dies... how many of those hikers loved ones do you think would sue the forest service? Spoiler alert - the number is far greater than zero. The "at your own risk" sign holds about as much water as the signs on the back of dump trucks that say "stay back 100ft" and "not responsible for damaged windshields"(Spoiler alert - they are responsible regardless of what the sign says).
And that so-called "liability" is the difference between two totally different ways of "thinking".......which makes it political. Your way of thinking is the same as those that believe gun manufacturers can and should be sued for the irresponsibility of the individual that used their firearm in a reckless, criminal, or irresponsible manner. The other way of thinking is "personal accountability and responsibility". We're Americans in a nation that was founded on principles of independence, personal liberty, rights, and freedoms. With those go personal responsibilities and accountabilities. If a person can't be held 100% responsible for their own actions, and people have to look elsewhere to blame someone else, then they shouldn't be out in our society to begin with.

If the FS can be found liable when a person dies in the forest when it's wet, then they can be found liable when the forest is dry as well, and the bottom line would be that the FS is always liable when people are out there of their own accord. That kind of thinking has no place in our nation......even though that's the sad and illogical direction our nation has gone. Always looking for someone else to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.