NAPA CV Axles

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
Not NAPA, but I bought a set of Sawyer Auto for the front of my GX470 off Amazon and have been surprised how good they are for being a cheap China product.

CorbLand

WKR
Have NAPAs on my tundra. They burned up really quick on the first set but NAPA was good about warrantying them. Not a single issue with the second. Don’t drive the pickup ton but they have been on there for 3 or so years.

Yes, no problems with them. Napa is usually my first choice for stuff I'm not tricking out or putting a lot of money into. They also tend to have a more experienced set of people working retail than other auto parts stores, and are better at helping with things like diagnostics or working through a problem. Just be sure to double-check that the part you get is identical to the part you're swapping out when you pick them up, and do it at the store if at all possible. Screwups happen, parts get stuck in the wrong boxes, sometimes parts just don't fit in your particular situation even though they're specified for it in the computer, etc. It's a cold time of year to be working on front-end stuff man, good luck on the part swap.

Any vibration with the aftermarket axles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No vibration. However, if you're doing that kind of front-end work, you may need to have your tires realigned. You might try rotating the tires to see if you experience any change in that vibration at all.

CorbLand

WKR
Any vibration with the aftermarket axles?

Not that I have noticed.

I use NAPA for most everything I can. Never had an issue with brakes, CV, oil, filters. When I worked for Les Schwab, we got all of our parts from them and my buddy worked for a mechanic shop, they did too.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Not that I have noticed.

Glad to hear, the OE’s are 4x the price of Napa’s. I emailed Raxle to see what they cost, based on the internet info, they seem to be the best aftermarket option.

CorbLand

WKR
Glad to hear, the OE’s are 4x the price of Napa’s. I emailed Raxle to see what they cost, based on the internet info, they seem to be the best aftermarket option.

A lot of it comes down to who owns the store. The guy that owns the ones here, is a good dude. He owns 4 of them and cycles through working them so you actually get to talk with the guy.

He asked me to bring the pickup in when I was asking about warrantying the first set. Brought it in and he said “I just wanted to make sure you didn’t have a massive lift or anything putting them at weird angles.” He ordered them and had new ones there in a couple days. Easy as could be to work with.

First gen Tundras have two different brake sizes depending on when you got it. I ordered a set from NAPA and forgot that. I called to see if they had the right ones and they didn’t but told me to bring the ones back. When I got there, they had called OReillys and had them set aside a correct pair for me.

I just replaced CV axles for a friend. I had done one about a year ago (from Carquest). The boots were already cracking. The NAPA ones looked like better quality, but well see. I'm going to attempt to warranty the Carquest one.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I just replaced CV axles for a friend. I had done one about a year ago (from Carquest). The boots were already cracking. The NAPA ones looked like better quality, but well see. I'm going to attempt to warranty the Carquest one.

That’s what has me thinking about spending $900 for OE’s, I do t want do the job twice.

CorbLand

WKR
That’s what has me thinking about spending $900 for OE’s, I do t want do the job twice.

I don’t know what vehicle but CVs generally aren’t hard. Took me about an hour to do both on my Tundra.

First time I had a lift and it was 20 minutes.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Napa has changed manufacturers of their cv axles several times in the past 5 years but they’ve held onto the latest one for I think 2 years now, and this manufacturer has released several revisions but the latest axles seem to be doing good. I’ve installed a lot of them at my shop with no complaints yet…

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I don’t know what vehicle but CVs generally aren’t hard. Took me about an hour to do both on my Tundra.

Im not worried about the difficulty of the job, just the price of the parts but I’d hate to put in some aftermarket parts in and get a vibration.

Found some mixed internet in for on the NAPA ones.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Napa has changed manufacturers of their cv axles several times in the past 5 years but they’ve held onto the latest one for I think 2 years now, and this manufacturer has released several revisions but the latest axles seem to be doing good. I’ve installed a lot of them at my shop with no complaints yet…

Good to hear, thanks

Went through a couple sets of napa axles in as many years. Rebooted my oem's and have been going strong again for a few years. Only good thing about the napa axles is the warranty.