N560 for 6.5 PRC / 7 SAUM

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to share a little bit of my recent findings and testing with this powder. I couldn’t find a whole lot of information on it as it is not currently the most popular powder choice. I think a lot of that has to do with vitavhouri and not claiming it to be temperature stable. Anyways, I had been shooting H1000 out of my 6.5 PRC and a buddy shooting out of 7 SAUM. Both of us struggled with bad es and sd, and after playing a little bit on Gordon’s reloading tool determined that it’s probably too slow of a powder for our shorter barrels. According to the burn rates this powder was the sweet spot. My only concern was just how temperature sensitive it was. I looked high and low and only found one bit of solid information on it and temperature sensitivity on another forum. So I constructed my own little tests trying to simulate both the rifle and ammunition at different temperatures to determine muzzle velocity shifts due to temp. My results were quite in line with the ones I had found online. With the migration in velocity being less significant in my own personally realistic hunting temperatures 0- 60* F I think this will prove to be a great option. And while yes it’s not the most temp stable I think if it can be calculated or accounted for with most ballistic calculators now anyways then it’s not a worry for me. I know I didn’t go into great detail on my rifle specs or test method and would be happy to answer any questions but I just wanted to share my findings because I couldn’t find much out there on this. I think it’d prove to be a great option for lots of guys with shorter barreled magnums (6.5 prc, 7 SAUM etc) D23938EB-1492-4A3F-B08B-7FE8E28CB298.pngF94C36D0-A12E-4264-8DFD-C7C48B5594A3.pngto get great velocity’s as well as much easier to find in stock.

huntnful

WKR
I've been shooting N560 with a 210M in my 6.5 PRC's with great results. It produces good velocities with bullets from 124-147gr with anywhere from a 60gr. charge for the lighter bullet, to a 55gr. charge with the heavier bullet. Currently shooting 56gr. behind a 140 berger to get the first firing on my brass and speed up the barrel. Had an ES of 20fps over 15 shots on new brass and new barrel. And it is definitely available more often!

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting N560 with a 210M in my 6.5 PRC's with great results. It produces good velocities with bullets from 124-147gr with anywhere from a 60gr. charge for the lighter bullet, to a 55gr. charge with the heavier bullet. Currently shooting 56gr. behind a 140 berger to get the first firing on my brass and speed up the barrel. Had an ES of 20fps over 15 shots on new brass and new barrel. And it is definitely available more often!
Glad to hear man! I’m shooting it out of a 6.5 prc with adg brass, 210m, 53.5 gr N560 and 147 eldm on those tests. Being able to determine and calculate the temp sensitivity factor makes it a very legitimate option in my opinion.

huntnful

WKR
Glad to hear man! I’m shooting it out of a 6.5 prc with adg brass, 210m, 53.5 gr N560 and 147 eldm on those tests. Being able to determine and calculate the temp sensitivity factor makes it a very legitimate option in my opinion.
Definitely dude! I'm shooting peterson brass, so similar quality. I also have a pile of 4831SC but I got it after developing with N560 so I didn't feel like testing it out yet. Looks like it has great temp stability also.

ID_Matt

WKR
I have just started testing N560 with 162's in my 7 saum. Has been extremely accurate over several powder charges. Like you mentioned, in the typical hunting temperatures it does not appear to be an issue with sensitivity.

huntnful

WKR
I have just started testing N560 with 162's in my 7 saum. Has been extremely accurate over several powder charges. Like you mentioned, in the typical hunting temperatures it does not appear to be an issue with sensitivity.
Good to know! Good speeds and ES also?

ID_Matt

WKR
Good to know! Good speeds and ES also?
In a 22" tube it maxed out around 2935 FPS and shot well at 2775, 2825 and 2865. Have 25 loaded up at the 2865 mark (62 grains) and am going to test further. Initial testing cross the 3 powder charges were all under 0.5" for 5 shots. ES on the 2865 node was around 16 FPS I believe

huntnful

WKR
In a 22" tube it maxed out around 2935 FPS and shot well at 2775, 2825 and 2865. Have 25 loaded up at the 2865 mark (62 grains) and am going to test further. Initial testing cross the 3 powder charges were all under 0.5" for 5 shots. ES on the 2865 node was around 16 FPS I believe
That’s excellent!

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely! Especially in a regular temp range. But now that my data lined up with the other I came across I feel pretty confident too that any shift in velocity can be accounted for with all of our calculators and such. Makes me feel fully confident in it regardless of conditions forsure!

Benjblt

WKR
That's been my #1 question; temperature stability of the N560. Do think Alliant RL 26 would be similar with regard to stability?

Dcamm94

FNG
New to the forum - I know this is an old thread but to the OP: you mentioned shorter barrels for your 6.5 and your buddy’s 7 SAUM. Curious what your barrel length is. I have a 6.5 PRC in the Bergara HMR Premier Pro (26”) barrel and it’s just too dang heavy, so I picked up a Bergara Canyon in 6.5 PRC with a 20” barrel. I was just able to find some N560 and thought it looked promising based on speed and the fact that at SAAMI max most data shows it loaded at less than 95% capacity.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
New to the forum - I know this is an old thread but to the OP: you mentioned shorter barrels for your 6.5 and your buddy’s 7 SAUM. Curious what your barrel length is. I have a 6.5 PRC in the Bergara HMR Premier Pro (26”) barrel and it’s just too dang heavy, so I picked up a Bergara Canyon in 6.5 PRC with a 20” barrel. I was just able to find some N560 and thought it looked promising based on speed and the fact that at SAAMI max most data shows it loaded at less than 95% capacity.
You'll never look back man. 20" with a can is the sweet spot if you ask me!

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
My barrel length is 20” as well my buddy’s saum is 18” sounds like a sweet setup you’ve got! n560 should work great for you. Just start low and work your way up! Best of luck man!

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
7PRC with 18 inch barrel. I'm between this an RL23 both have been most consistent with speed that I want. Just have to play with seating depth to gain some accuracy.
Screenshot_20240313_091402_Digital Link.jpg

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
7PRC with 18 inch barrel. I'm between this an RL23 both have been most consistent with speed that I want. Just have to play with seating depth to gain some accuracy.
View attachment 686616
That’s awesome man. I’ve thought about trying an 18” 7 prc as my next build haha seems like it’d be fun! Those are some killer speeds for that length I bet you’re stoked with that!

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
For sure. I was wanting 2800 from what I seen I figured it was achievable so anything over is a plus. I maybe try the eldx see how accuracy is with them. See if anything changes with once fired brass. Happy with velocity for sure it's gonna be a fun gun I do believe. Be better once I get a chassis an get away from the savage magazine. Lol. Makes in intrigued about a Tikka 7wsm in a shorty now just because lol , Maybe a 300

For sure. I was wanting 2800 from what I seen I figured it was achievable so anything over is a plus. I maybe try the eldx see how accuracy is with them. See if anything changes with once fired brass. Happy with velocity for sure it's gonna be a fun gun I do believe. Be better once I get a chassis an get away from the savage magazine. Lol. Makes in intrigued about a Tikka 7wsm in a shorty now just because lol , Maybe a 300
Makes me excited for when I recieve my 7 PRC with 18 inch barrel in a few months.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Once fired brass this charge was .1 less than what I'd been shooting wasn't that fast before she was hot....needless to say I'll back it down I was playing from lands to .030 off .010 was best group. Gonna try rl23 1 more time but I'd say I'll probably go with N560
Makes me excited for when I recieve my 7 PRC with 18 inch barrel in a few months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_102046_Digital Link.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_102046_Digital Link.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240325_092453.jpg
    20240325_092453.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 10
Once fired brass this charge was .1 less than what I'd been shooting wasn't that fast before she was hot....needless to say I'll back it down I was playing from lands to .030 off .010 was best group. Gonna try rl23 1 more time but I'd say I'll probably go with N560
I may have missed it what bullet are you using? 3000 FPS from 18 inch barrel is crazy!

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
162 ELDX at moment I ran out of Ms yeah I didn't expect it like a said hot load lol I'm back in down for sure