Mystery Ranch to sell REI type packs to the masses of asses.....

blackah02

FNG
We are staying 100% made in the United States with American components.

Except for the Kifaru ball cap I bought earlier this year which clearly states, Made in China.;) There are still USA baseball cap manufacturers that will do custom logos. Americap USA, and USA Cap Inc. for example. Aside from that, I am happy with my Kifaru as well as my Bozeman, MT USA made Mystery Ranch packs. When Dana told me in person that the entire outdoor and hunting line were going overseas, I looked at him in disbelief. I do not agree that all packs made overseas are lower quality compared to USA made packs, because I have owned sturdy packs made in China and have also owned packs made by USA companies including Kifaru where I was not happy with the consistency of the stitching. I try to support Made in USA products for much more than just good quality, and for that reason I will not be a returning customer for any newer Mystery Ranch pack that is made overseas given that there are USA companies like Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, and Horn Hunter still available. I am not wealthy, but I have no problem forking over the money for a quality USA made product.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Except for the Kifaru ball cap I bought earlier this year which clearly states, Made in China.;) There are still USA baseball cap manufacturers that will do custom logos. Americap USA, and USA Cap Inc. for example. Aside from that, I am happy with my Kifaru as well as my Bozeman, MT USA made Mystery Ranch packs. When Dana told me in person that the entire outdoor and hunting line were going overseas, I looked at him in disbelief. I do not agree that all packs made overseas are lower quality compared to USA made packs, because I have owned sturdy packs made in China and have also owned packs made by USA companies including Kifaru where I was not happy with the consistency of the stitching. I try to support Made in USA products for much more than just good quality, and for that reason I will not be a returning customer for any newer Mystery Ranch pack that is made overseas given that there are USA companies like Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, and Horn Hunter still available. I am not wealthy, but I have no problem forking over the money for a quality USA made product.
Don't forget about the end caps of the cylinder stoves and hooded sweaters too.

2ski

WKR
Global economy. Its amusing to me that we are okay with shipping goods out of the States, but balk and bringing other products in. Its a global economy. If MR was selling to niche markets, hardcore hunters, ect, then how do they grow? Can MR do something to make that niche market increase in size? So now in order to grow, they have to find new customers. If you're not growing you're stagnant, and if you're stagnant, you're dying. So where do they find new customers? Lower the MSRP and start selling to people that don't want super duper expensive packs. Kifaru has started coming out with quite a few new products, and I'm sure they're growing, but if this takes off for MR like I expect it to, then they grow faster and they make more money because of it. Who doesn't like making more money. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that we're talking they will now be available at archery shops where MR knows that customers will get more personalized service and people that know the product. Even Schnees is hit or miss on if you get someone that knows the SG line intimately. (BTW I haven't been on RS much in the last year so I don't know if its been talked about, but if anyone comes to Bozeman for whatever reason, SG has a shop and retail area, really not to far away from MR, so stop in and check it out and talk to the guy there and buy some swag)

Just one (brilliant)man's opinion.

brewer427

WKR
Kifaru has started coming out with quite a few new products, and I'm sure they're growing, but if this takes off for MR like I expect it to, then they grow faster and they make more money because of it. Who doesn't like making more money. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that we're talking they will now be available at archery shops where MR knows that customers will get more personalized service and people that know the product.
The problem is most of these local shops won't no the ins and outs of the pack line, unless MR takes the time to train each and every individual. Go into any store now days and there is very few products that employee's no about, other then what they read on the product description. I've bought a lot of items when people have told me it's a great product and it's worked great for them personally, but the first time I take it in the field, I found out quickly, they were just blowin smoke out there ass and have no idea what the item is like.

I'm sure Kifaru is growing, but that is because they are turning out awesome products with even better customer service. You don't need to speak to somebody in person to get "personalized service". In the case of Kifaru, when you have somebody like Aron, who uses the product regularly and can give you the pros and cons, that is way better "personalized service" then somebody who has just handled the product in house and has maybe been out hiking a couple weekends with the pack on.

IMO, MR would be way better off to stay "small" in Bozeman, and put more videos out, for guy's to know how to properly fit and use there packs. Then let people be able to get in touch with guys who hunt with there packs and use the packs on a year round basis. That would be way better "Personalized Service" then joe blow down the street tellin someone to buy this pack because "It's the best pack in the whole wide world", when he has no Idea what it's going to feel like when you get it loaded with 80lbs.

They probably will make more money in the long run, but there product will suffer, due to having to mass produce cheaper packs. Some locations where these packs will be sold will definitely no there stuff about the new packs, but I would bet money that those kind of shops are going to be few and far between.

slick

WKR
Global economy. Its amusing to me that we are okay with shipping goods out of the States, but balk and bringing other products in. Its a global economy. If MR was selling to niche markets, hardcore hunters, ect, then how do they grow? Can MR do something to make that niche market increase in size? So now in order to grow, they have to find new customers. If you're not growing you're stagnant, and if you're stagnant, you're dying. So where do they find new customers? Lower the MSRP and start selling to people that don't want super duper expensive packs. Kifaru has started coming out with quite a few new products, and I'm sure they're growing, but if this takes off for MR like I expect it to, then they grow faster and they make more money because of it. Who doesn't like making more money. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that we're talking they will now be available at archery shops where MR knows that customers will get more personalized service and people that know the product. Even Schnees is hit or miss on if you get someone that knows the SG line intimately. (BTW I haven't been on RS much in the last year so I don't know if its been talked about, but if anyone comes to Bozeman for whatever reason, SG has a shop and retail area, really not to far away from MR, so stop in and check it out and talk to the guy there and buy some swag)

Just one (brilliant)man's opinion.

Personal opinion, but I would push people to go to the Stone Glacier showroom rather than Schnees. I haven't talked to anyone at Schnees that knows anything other than what they are told to say. I would imagine most people on this site know more about the SG packs than the guys working at Schnees. I've talked to 3 people there that were oblivious to what they were selling. Mostly thought it was "cool" because of the price tag. You could just call up Kurt or Pete, or Colby and have top notch service without being fed lines of bull by some joe blow.

2ski

WKR
Personal opinion, but I would push people to go to the Stone Glacier showroom rather than Schnees. I haven't talked to anyone at Schnees that knows anything other than what they are told to say. I would imagine most people on this site know more about the SG packs than the guys working at Schnees. I've talked to 3 people there that were oblivious to what they were selling. Mostly thought it was "cool" because of the price tag. You could just call up Kurt or Pete, or Colby and have top notch service without being fed lines of bull by some joe blow.

My experiences too. I was psyched when you could walk I to schnees and actually get your hands on a SG pack. I taught the guy I talked to why a person should buy one over a badlands.

I needed a new SG hat because a girl stole my original one. (She was pretty cute so I didn't mind) shnees never had them and never had them so finally I happened to see there's now a shop for SG. Went in. Talked to the guy and had a great conversation with him. And I bought 2 hats instead of one.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yeah I had that same experience, the kid in Schnees had no clue. Good thing I knew the packs actually have different belt sizes, because if I would have been depending on them to know their stuff, who knows what I could have ended up with.