Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45

Robbie928

FNG
Hey guys! So I’m looking at picking the MR sawtooth 45 For an archery elk hunt in November. Itl be my first pack and I’m doing as much research on it as I can since there is no where locally that I can actually try out this specific pack but I have tried another MR pack and thought it was very comfortable. I’ve read tons of good reviews about it but I’m curious if that are things people didn’t like about the pack and what we’re your experiences with it? Thanks

Tahoe1305

WKR
If you are overnighting and new to backpack hunting it will either be too small or you some how figured out how to dial your system in from day 1, which is great too.

I’d go next size which is Marshall I believe. Lids offer good flexibility too.

Edit: meant metcalf not Marshall

OP
R

Robbie928

FNG
If you are overnighting and new to backpack hunting it will either be too small or you some how figured out how to dial your system in from day 1, which is great too.

I’d go next size which is Marshall I believe. Lids offer good flexibility too.

Edit: meant metcalf not Marshall
Thank you, I’ll look into that! Also how do you edit your posts?

TheHammer

WKR
I do not think the sawtooth is too small. I run a pintler which is a few square inches smaller then the sawtooth. I have no issues getting 4-5days in with the day lid. I also bring a few things most don’t due to my quirks, so extra weight. I also try to stick to my 6k daily calorie intake. The pack is very full, don’t get me wrong. But it is also capable. I have the mr forager belt pockets and rangefinder holster on the shoulder strap, other strap I have the bear spray holster that I typically have a water bottle and electrolytes in. I had some issues with my bladder this year. So idk what I’ll do about that moving forward as I also run a nalgene. I have the mr zoid bags (1 of each 3 sizes)

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I recently came into a Sawtooth bag on a trade.

I haven’t run it yet but I have been tinkering a bit. The two vertical straps that run over the top (and connect to the load lifters) can be repurposed to add a lid. I was considering running this configuration for a 7-day back country hunt this year, I’m just a little concerned with the lack of support from the load lifters now.

I’ve previously owned a Pintler, Metcalf, and Mule. Now I much prefer my current Beartooth/ Sawtooth combo. With that being said, a November elk hunt is probably going to require more gear than I typically carry. By the time you purchase a sawtooth and a lid you’d probably just be better off with a Metcalf or Beartooth.

OP
R

Robbie928

FNG
I recently came into a Sawtooth bag on a trade.

I haven’t run it yet but I have been tinkering a bit. The two vertical straps that run over the top (and connect to the load lifters) can be repurposed to add a lid. I was considering running this configuration for a 7-day back country hunt this year, I’m just a little concerned with the lack of support from the load lifters now.

I’ve previously owned a Pintler, Metcalf, and Mule. Now I much prefer my current Beartooth/ Sawtooth combo. With that being said, a November elk hunt is probably going to require more gear than I typically carry. By the time you purchase a sawtooth and a lid you’d probably just be better off with a Metcalf or Beartooth.
I have been research the Metcalf since it was suggested by Tahoe a few hours ago and I do like the sounds of it. With the extra capacity I would imagine it’d be better t have the extra capacity and not it than to run into the issue of not having enough capacity for certain hunts. I’d imagine that Metcalf is enough pack for anything I’m going to do

TheHammer

WKR
The lid comes with the same quick clips as the pack is equipped with, they mount through the strap loops, MR has two loops below the strap for the load lifters that the clips snap into. Once I finish my day at the shop I can take a picture or 2 and post it. I took a scissors to the backpack straps the lid comes equipped with to eliminate weight and a feature I am never going to use, also saving the buckles and connectors to add a couple spare components to the spare parts arsenal.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I have been research the Metcalf since it was suggested by Tahoe a few hours ago and I do like the sounds of it. With the extra capacity I would imagine it’d be better t have the extra capacity and not it than to run into the issue of not having enough capacity for certain hunts. I’d imagine that Metcalf is enough pack for anything I’m going to do
the Metcalf seems to be the gold standard of MR bags, but i prefer the Beartooth.

Last edited:
Sawtooth is a great bag. Could handle an overnight or two. For a longer stay with more gear, I would go bigger. Metcalf is a sweet bag for 2-5 days for me. You can add stuff to the meat shelf for longer trips and it is still small enough to pack around as a (bulky) day pack.

BDRam16

WKR
Metcalf for sure. Mine is packed for 5 days out from the truck at a time right now and it’s tight.

Tahoe1305

WKR
OP. The real variable is days in field. This will obviously impact food which can take up a lot of space. Water does as well but can be sourced so it isn’t as critical. I like to budget for the water space just in case I struggle to find it (I try and have space for 4-5L). I think the sawtooth with an extra hood could work, but it would be same price as metcalf at that point and it’s much easier to cinch a pack down then create more space (to a certain extent). Hate to have to buy a new pack just because you want to take a week long trip.

I’m out in the CO hills hunting right now. I have a kuiu 4000 and it works for 3-4 days. My buddy just got the beartooth and I am really impressed with it. It’s basically same bag as sawtooth and metcalf plus another 1000ci.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I have the sawtooth and I've only had it for 1 season but I find for day hunts it's great. I haven't gotten into overnight backpacking hunts yet but if I did feel like it was a little small for multiple day hunts but maybe I just need to learn how to pack a little better. Quality is fantastic with the zippers and load lifters and it sits very comfortably. I feel like a good combo might be the sawtooth for day hunts and the beartooth for multi day hunts. Just my 2 cents

Love my st45! I have yet to stay overnight with it however I did pick up the lid to add space for this past spring...again hoping to stay overnight (snow pack kept us down low). With the lid I was able to pack for 3-4 days which is minimal but not minimalist. It's helped me haul out an elk quarter and a spring bear without problem. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Working on receiving a frame back from MR right now. My frame squeaked SO loudly that it would have alerted animals if I’d hunted with it recently. Just beware of this.

I've carried a few elk out in my Sawtooth and it works just fine.

A bigger backpack = more stuff to bring that you don't need. I can fit 3 nights/4days worth of stuff in there just fine. Tent will be lashed to the bottom and I'm not bringing extra clothes except for a extra pair of socks, small puffy and light jacket.

If your going to be dealing with cold temps in November you might want to size up for the bigger sleeping bag.

Generally I've exhausted a area backpacking after 3-4 days and its time to go back for a resupply and plan B area anyhow.