Mystery ranch NICE vs Guide light MT for filbe pack

MedMan55

FNG
Hey guys,

I’m looking to replace the plastic frame on my USMC filbe pack. I’m between buying the NICE frame with load sling for $430 or just using the discount and buying a pack with the Guide light MT frame and putting it on the USMC pack. Which option would be best? Is the NICE frame worth and extra $100? Will both fit the pack the same?

Bmarino

WKR
I have a Foliage NICE Frame and 2 different Load Slings.
The lid is already sold.
20220411_213447.jpg20220328_182148.jpg20220328_182651.jpg20220328_182714.jpg

Welcome.

I don’t want to sour you deal, but I own a couple of nice frames and one of them is wearing a filbe. It is a fine pack, but there are better options IMO. nice frames are bombproof but heavy. They also don’t have a lot of lift. You will be giving up a load shelf and some other functions as well.

IMO unless you can get that NICE fairly cheap, I would Think twice. For around or even less than $400 you can find a brand new MR Metcalf, beartooth or what ever on the latest gen guidelight MT frame.

OP
M

MedMan55

FNG
Welcome.

I don’t want to sour you deal, but I own a couple of nice frames and one of them is wearing a filbe. It is a fine pack, but there are better options IMO. nice frames are bombproof but heavy. They also don’t have a lot of lift. You will be giving up a load shelf and some other functions as well.

IMO unless you can get that NICE fairly cheap, I would Think twice. For around or even less than $400 you can find a brand new MR Metcalf, beartooth or what ever on the latest gen guidelight MT frame.
How well do you think the new MT frame would work with a FILBE pack? My worry is the load lifter tower on the frame getting in the way of t boning a system and a rifle sling

How well do you think the new MT frame would work with a FILBE pack? My worry is the load lifter tower on the frame getting in the way of t boning a system and a rifle sling
My filbe/nice has become a loaner pack for me. So, unfortunately it’s in my buddy’s garage a few hours away and I probably won’t see it for a while so honestly not sure how it works on an MT frame, if at all, but I assume it does. However, you will need an adaptor kit because the MT has newer buckles. FWIW the filbe works on the nice but not as well as an MR pack - minor misalignment of straps and buckles, not as much compression, etc.

Nice frames Are $$$ because they are US made and berry compliant - nothing wrong with either, but they don’t add a lot of function - on top of being about 2# heavier than the MT.

if you are willing to drop $400, wait until black ovis or somebody has MR packs on sale and pick up something that suits your needs. I am a big fan of the pintler, Metcalf and beartooth, depending on size needs.

if you don’t care about a load shelf and swapping pack bags, look for a MR SATL in decent shape for $200-250. They are awesome packs and will give you better function than your FILBE on a nice for less weight and money.

OP
M

MedMan55

FNG
My filbe/nice has become a loaner pack for me. So, unfortunately it’s in my buddy’s garage a few hours away and I probably won’t see it for a while so honestly not sure how it works on an MT frame, if at all, but I assume it does. However, you will need an adaptor kit because the MT has newer buckles. FWIW the filbe works on the nice but not as well as an MR pack - minor misalignment of straps and buckles, not as much compression, etc.

Nice frames Are $$$ because they are US made and berry compliant - nothing wrong with either, but they don’t add a lot of function - on top of being about 2# heavier than the MT.

if you are willing to drop $400, wait until black ovis or somebody has MR packs on sale and pick up something that suits your needs. I am a big fan of the pintler, Metcalf and beartooth, depending on size needs.

if you don’t care about a load shelf and swapping pack bags, look for a MR SATL in decent shape for $200-250. They are awesome packs and will give you better function than your FILBE on a nice for less weight and money.
I definitely understand your point however I have to stick with the FILBE pack unfortunately. I recently had a back injury however and am looking to swap frames for something fitted rather then going with a Alice style