Mystery ranch Beartooth 80

I just got my new Beartooth yesterday and it seems to be all I hoped for. I really like the access on this bag. I love my Marshal and metcalf for multi-day trips but I really think this pack solved some problems. So far I really cannot see a difference in guide light MT frame other than some buckles and the wings. Have not put any weight in it yet but it is extremely comfortable. There is more foam and padding around the hips. Looking forward to loading this thing up. My biggest disappointment is that it looks like it will be somewhat difficult to make my pintler fit due to the number of buckles that I will need to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
I know it might be a PITA but if you know your going to use the pintler for a hunt can't you just take the SJ autolocks off the Beartooth and put them on the pintler? It would just be the four side compression straps and the over the two over the top straps?

The bag to frame interface for the overload is completely different. I see more that changing a few buckles in your future. I’d continue to use the pintler on the original GL frame and sell it early 2020 and buy a GL MT compatible Pintler bag only.

The bag to frame interface for the overload is completely different. I see more that changing a few buckles in your future. I’d continue to use the pintler on the original GL frame and sell it early 2020 and buy a GL MT compatible Pintler bag only.

I will however add that this purely speculation on my part. My Beartooth doesn’t arrive until Monday. Haha

OP
Huntindog45

Actually side by side they are not that different. The sleeve that fits over the frame of my pintler is replaced with a buckle system so you don’t have to undo the overload straps but the pintler fits fine on the new frame. The way the side buckles and the bottoms two buckles are sewn in the biggest issue. It won’t be a simple replacement... but yah the frames themself loom almost identical... will take some pics later

Last edited:

JD619er

WKR
Don't change the buckles on the frame? Just change the buckles on the bag to match the frame. You won't be using two bags at once so just take the six buckles I previously mentioned off the Beartooth bag and put them on the pintler and Wala it attaches to the new frame

OP
Huntindog45
Don't change the buckles on the frame? Just change the buckles on the bag to match the frame. You won't be using two bags at once so just take the six buckles I previously mentioned off the Beartooth bag and put them on the pintler and Wala it attaches to the new frame

Yah I won’t change anything on the new frame or bag. Would hate to screw that up. Unfortunately the buckles are hard sewn in so it will involve unstitching and replacing.. don’t really want to do that either... so I will just keep both frames. Not a big deal. My buddy can borrow one when I need him to help pack a critter out. :)

Headed up to do some snow camping this weekend so will get my first good review of it soon.

JD619er

WKR
I don't want you to think I'm trying to argue or anything man but how hard is it to just pull the compressions straps out of a couple buckles? I change from regular buckles to autolocks all the time, a buckle works by the friction created by the strap running through it. I don't see how you would "screw" anything up by just swapping buckles. I'm not talking about the buckles on the frame.

Trial153

WKR
I wish I knew what if any bag only options would be available in the future for the new frame. That would help me decide with pack to buy first

NDGuy

WKR
Gah damn you guys for making me want to try a new pack. I like the Metcalf just wish the inside had more pouches for storing small things!

OP
Huntindog45
I don't want you to think I'm trying to argue or anything man but how hard is it to just pull the compressions straps out of a couple buckles? I change from regular buckles to autolocks all the time, a buckle works by the friction created by the strap running through it. I don't see how you would "screw" anything up by just swapping buckles. I'm not talking about the buckles on the frame.

Will look again but pretty sure the buckles on both the bag and the frame in that location where the buckles that were sewn in on a short loop of strapping. I have mcgyvered a bunch of packs and move buckles around quite a bit including some sewing so im fairly used to doing it. Will check it out again though.

Last edited:
OP
Huntindog45

You were right... took a look at it and can change out the buckles on the pintler... thanks for pointing that out

Pezboat

WKR
I feel like it carries light weight much better. That was one of my issues with my Metcalf. It was only comfortable once I got 20+ pounds in it.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
How functional is it compressed in “day pack mode?”

Thanks in advance

ID_Matt

WKR
c1bb66a8bb97c4060287d131861029e4.jpg
a8784f07794793e9d6f531ca39e7018a.jpg

It’s definitely big but once you figure out how to cinch it down right it works great.

Reactions: pew

JohnnyB

WKR
I love my Metcalf and I also love my Pintler. The only complaint I have ever had about the Metcalf is the side zip access. I put my tripod legs in that pouch so it is a minor ordeal to access the main bag- side or top.

Metcalf is still my go to. I think everyone should have few. Looking at the Selway or Beartooth as the next so I can try the new frame.