Mystery ranch Beartooth 80

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the reply and for posting the picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Huntindog45
Ok gotta say I love my beartooth. My older smaller packs will still get lots of use but if it is longer than a day this is now the go-to. Cannot wait to take it on some longer trips.

PRS

FNG
What is the max number of days you feel like you could get out of the beartooth on a hunt?

jaweav12

FNG
You were right... took a look at it and can change out the buckles on the pintler... thanks for pointing that out

I ordered a kit from the MR support team for $20 sent to my door with the buckles needed to attach the pintler to the new frame. Send them an email and they will hook you up or call them.

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Beartooth 80 - is there any reason to wait until the Pintler or Mule packs use updated buckles to fit the new frame? Is the kit they sell just a set of adapters?

I just picked up a Beartooth 80 - is there any reason to wait until the Pintler or Mule packs use updated buckles to fit the new frame? Is the kit they sell just a set of adapters?

I have a kit en route. What Tom at MR explained is that it is a set of buckles that replace the ones on the old pack. Sounded simple enough. I will take a pic when it arrives. They are selling the kit direct from the MR repair shop now and will have the kit on the site next year.

My Beartooth is set to deliver today and I feel like it's Christmas morning. Sitting in my office waiting for my Ring app to notify me. Can't wait to give it a test run.

Tatanka17

FNG
How does this compare to an EXO 5500 with the K2 frame? 5.4 pounds compared to the MR Beartooth 80 being a bit heavier and not having a roll top lid?

pdp

FNG
Very helpful post for those of us tormented by picking a new pack. Appreciate the picks.

I got the Beartooth 80 in summer of 2019, just in time for archery season. We had a good year and between my partner and I, we got 3 bulls, all backpacked in. Needless to say the pack got a lot of testing in 2019. Overall, really happy with it. There were a couple little things here and there and I'll mention those below. I'm still messing around with it as far as adjustments go to make sure I have it in the best position for my body.

The compression pockets on the sides have an angled cut to them on the top, naturally I like my nalgene bottle in one of those, but the bottle comes out way too easily if you don't get the buckle through the top of the bottle cap. I think the compression pockets could be designed a little better with bottles in mind. I don't like having to put the strap through the lid because it makes it so I can't reach back on my own, while I have the pack on, and grab my bottle. My partner has to unbuckle it or I have to drop the pack.

I also felt like the bag portion itself hung a little low below the waist belt when fully loaded. I could feel it brushing against my butt some. I noticed my buddies EXO stayed up nice and high at or above the bottom of the hip belt in the rear. I ended up tightening the straps that go under the bag but that does reduce your volume some.

Lastly, I wish it had the extendable top to the bag like the Metcalf.

These are negative points that I touched on, but my overall feeling on the pack is really positive. I like it a lot and think it's a great pack.

I also felt like the bag portion itself hung a little low below the waist belt when fully loaded. I could feel it brushing against my butt some. I noticed my buddies EXO stayed up nice and high at or above the bottom of the hip belt in the rear. I ended up tightening the straps that go under the bag but that does reduce your volume some.

I feel the same way. Even with 65lb in there, it sinks down quite a bit.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I'm torn between the Beartooth 80 and the Metcalf. The only downside I can find with the BT80, which most people think is what makes it stand out, is the zipper. I'm afraid of zipper failure and then being stuck. Thoughts on whether I'm over thinking it........

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Slightly overthinking it, I don’t see the zipper being a failure point, and there’s two on the large opening, which if positioned at the top the bag can used as a top loader, this allows you to not have to unbuckle the side buckles and compression straps to access contents. The zipper looks and feels quality as well, if you ever get a chance to use it before purchasing, you can see where I’m coming from. There’s a lot of good reviews on the Metcalf, but the BT has some extra features, that I feel improves on the Metcalf.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
Slightly overthinking it, I don’t see the zipper being a failure point, and there’s two on the large opening, which if positioned at the top the bag can used as a top loader, this allows you to not have to unbuckle the side buckles and compression straps to access contents. The zipper looks and feels quality as well, if you ever get a chance to use it before purchasing, you can see where I’m coming from. There’s a lot of good reviews on the Metcalf, but the BT has some extra features, that I feel improves on the Metcalf.
Great. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll order the BT80. Now to pick a color.......

Rokbar

WKR
Back up to the top. I got a BT 80 with the Guide Light MT frame/belt. Overall I was really impressed with it. With the lid attached I had tons of room when my son and I did a backpack trip. Pretty comfortable with 70lbs. During hunting season I left the lid at home and used the BT as a day pack. It really impressed me. Didn't stick up to much. It was comfortable on my hips. Sometimes I would use the belt and other times not. Going hunting a few times I would ride my bike to where I hunt, 3miles. In the morning I would put my Abolt 2 in the side compression pocket. Use the 3 side straps and take off. Never did shift with me. I have a Sawtooth 45 I planned on using for day hunts, but the BT functioned just fine and wasn't cumbersome. I felt the internal pockets and the one big external pockets were fine. If I can think of one con it would be the buckles. You have to get used to them and figure the correct configuration. I would highly recommend the Beartooth 80.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I got one Black Friday. Did an overnight for coues so far. Overall I like it. Size is the perfect . I have a Marshall that is overkill, and have had a metcalf that wasn’t big enough for me. This one handled my bulky slik bag and old north face tent easily. I’d guess 3-4 more days of food would have been pretty easy to add.

Access to the main pouch through the zipper is nice. I like the little top pouch for headlamp and other small items. The bigger back pouch for glassing stool, puffy jacket and days lunch.The new hip belt is a solid upgrade over the guide light.

The new fabric is too loud.

Rokbar

WKR
I got one Black Friday. Did an overnight for coues so far. Overall I like it. Size is the perfect . I have a Marshall that is overkill, and have had a metcalf that wasn’t big enough for me. This one handled my bulky slik bag and old north face tent easily. I’d guess 3-4 more days of food would have been pretty easy to add.

Access to the main pouch through the zipper is nice. I like the little top pouch for headlamp and other small items. The bigger back pouch for glassing stool, puffy jacket and days lunch.The new hip belt is a solid upgrade over the guide light.

The new fabric is too loud.
I had forgotten that I bought a Marshall back in the spring. It was nice but seemed to swallow you up. I never had any problems with the BT sticking up too far above your head catching on logs or limbs. Of course I ran it in hunting season without the lid. Great pack.