My rifle scope saga continues…

z987k

WKR
False.

Just be consistent and know your dope.

If you don’t want to max your power SFP scope choose a power that you will always use on that scope for stadia holdovers like 6x and learn your dope at that power and the lowest magnification. It isn’t that hard if you like shooting. Just be consistent and always go to your selected power. So easy Fudd’s have done it for years.
I would like to see that done in a field position with a timer and a couple different wind values. Unless the shot is very long and you have all day to take it, in which case just go full zoom and have the reticle accurate, I can't see very many people being successful with this.

Macintosh

WKR
it doesnt take much distance until being off by 50% on your elevation solution because you fumbled your “magnification correction” under pressure—on top of all of your other field error such as wobble, inexact range, gun precision, etc—causes a miss or a wounded animal. Accidentally holding .75mil or 3mil instead of 1.5 mil at 350 yards due to neglecting to correct the reticle subtension for your magnification in a 2fp scope would easily do it, that would introduce an additional +\- 1 foot of error at that range. At that rate I honestly think just using a duplex reticle + holding high is MORE accurate.
Plus, for me if its that far Im typically dialing, its more about having a way to measure your wind call in the reticle regardless of magnification.
Again, Im sure some people can do it. I just think based on the people Ive seen FAIL to do it when any pressure is added (including me), that its not nearly as easy as some make it out to be.

Last edited: