My rifle scope saga continues…

Hnthrdr

WKR
I agree most FFP reticles can be hard to see at lower magnification. This is why there should be more 3x FFP scopes out there. A lot easier to use with less magnification, and the reticle can be a lot bigger in the lower range to start with.

I'd also argue that all SFP reticles are useless in that 4-6x range because the reticle is only useful at maximum magnification. Sure you can see it better, but the marks are entirely meaningless. A 3-15 SFP at 6x means anything but a simple duplex is a waste of time since it's off by a factor that you will not be doing in your head.
This is why I like a SFP with an exposed elevation turret. I dial, I don’t hold over generally.

z987k

WKR
This is why I like a SFP with an exposed elevation turret. I dial, I don’t hold over generally.
Most people dial and hold for wind I think. But then your wind holds are only useful at max power. The solution as I see it there is to not overpower your scope. 9-12x on top max and you can actually be at that magnification if you're shooting at a distance that wind matters.

ElPollo

WKR
Ok I’ve been here done this but I just can’t make a decision. Quick catch up. I own a NULA(the OG one, not after they went to crap) in 30-06. I live in WV but hunt west once a year. I’m not a “long range” guy. I’d like to get comfortable out to 4-600 at targets. I’ve been practicing at 300 lately. It currently has a vortex diamondback on it. It works. It’s worked for 2 or 3 years. But I read the horror stories. And my hunting buddy had one that he put away fine, and right before our trip last year, got it out to shoot, and it wouldn’t hold a zero.

So now I’m terrified it’s going to go ka-poop on me in the moment of need. I don’t like carrying gear that I’m constantly worrying about.

So I want to upgrade. If I do it, I want to do it right. I’ve looked at nightforce pretty heavily, but they seem on the heavy side. Do I go with their weight even on such a light rifle? Or is there something just as reliable in a lighter design?

I’d like something in the 3-4 min power. Up to 12-15 probably

50mm max

I’m not really picky on mil/moa

Don’t necessary need to be able to dial but nice addition

Illuminated intrigues me but not needed

Like to stay under $1000, but willing to pick one up used so MSRP can be more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested in what you decided on.

amassi

WKR
Tough to beat the s&b 3-12 x42
21 oz
Reticle useable through the entire range
At 3 power it’s a simple duplex with an illuminated + at center. At ~5x with my eyes the reticle becomes useful for wind holds and or holdovers
Will dial 4.8 mils so plenty to get you comfortable shooting long range and learning mils
Little out of your budget but worth the wait

ElPollo

WKR
Ended up picking up a lightly used NF SHV 4-14. Little heavy but their reputation won me over. Really like it. The mils is a game changer for me.

NF are durable scopes you can count on. I would be interested to hear how much you end up using the top end magnification. I tend to like it on paper at the range, but don’t ever seem to use it in field practice or hunting. My scopes usually stay on 6x and rarely get turned up above 8-10x. Lower magnification tends to mean that I am quicker to get on target and more likely to spot my impacts.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Most people dial and hold for wind I think. But then your wind holds are only useful at max power. The solution as I see it there is to not overpower your scope. 9-12x on top max and you can actually be at that magnification if you're shooting at a distance that wind matters.
That’s a fair point. 2-12 or 2-10 would be about perfect IMO

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
NF are durable scopes you can count on. I would be interested to hear how much you end up using the top end magnification. I tend to like it on paper at the range, but don’t ever seem to use it in field practice or hunting. My scopes usually stay on 6x and rarely get turned up above 8-10x. Lower magnification tends to mean that I am quicker to get on target and more likely to spot my impacts.

My last scope went to 12. I like the power. I keep it cranked down but if I have plenty of time I zoom it in. Aim small miss small. Like to pick out a specific hair

ElPollo

WKR
My last scope went to 12. I like the power. I keep it cranked down but if I have plenty of time I zoom it in. Aim small miss small. Like to pick out a specific hair

I have a buddy who says that and shoots a light magnum rifle with a 6-24x scope. He also says he’s never been able to see where his shots hit and doesn’t know where the critter goes after the shot unless he is way out on the flat prairie and it has no where to hide. It all works fine until it doesn’t. We go back and forth about it in a good natured way.