My Puppy Ate My Caribou Skull

Yeah I've lost a couple skulls that way. I even had a raccoon carry off a set of antlers. I have a skull 1/2 buried in my backyard right now and a massive wooden box over the top of it so the dogs can't get to it. It been buried since I killed it back in November.

KHNC

WKR
I have at least 10 whitetails with Mountain Mikes Reproductions skulls. If you take your time and do it correctly , its a very nice fix. Most people cant tell when its on the wall.

WCB

WKR
just finished cleaning a skull and had it sitting on the rocks right by my sidewalk to dry. Went in to get something to drink...came out and it was gone. looked two yards over and there it is in a yard. Walk over and of course the neighbors dog chewed the nose off. It was a small enough buck I just capped it and screwed it to a shelf in the garage but was kinda pissed anyways. Same dog took a Pronghorn Sheath a month later. Needless to say all my skulls get wired high on a branch now when drying.

Funny thing is I was out of state hunting and get a picture of a rally wide capped set of mule deer antlers sitting on our front step. Same neighbor (2 doors down) just walked up and set them on our step. My wife watched them walk back home. Apparently their dog took someone's antlers and they just assumed they were mine? No one has claimed them yet as I posted it on our Neighborhood FB page.

KHNC

WKR
I didnt see where he said he had a GSP. If so, then you are spot the hell on! Ours is 9 months old and cant be trusted more than a minute, and thats pushing it alone!

OP
coloyooper
Brittany/golden mix. She is a domestic terrorist, but man she’s got a hell of a nose on her.
I didnt see where he said he had a GSP. If so, then you are spot the hell on! Ours is 9 months old and cant be trusted more than a minute, and thats pushing it alone!

yhc

WKR
I think I’ll just leave it as is. Sucks, but as @DenverCountryBoy said- in 16 years I’ll be able to think back about when that little shit chomped the snout off my first caribou.
More character and more stories to the skull mount than a simple Alaskan caribou hunt!! I would leave it as is as well if I were you.

I have one of my Kodiak brown bear rugs in the floor of my reloading room. Since I have 3 dogs roaming the house, I make sure the door to the room is always closed unless I am in the room. I jokingly say that is to preven me from needing to replace the damaged bear rug with a dog rug!! 😉

Austink47

WKR
My dogs literally spent a day eating the antlers off of my first archery elk. I wish I had a picture of both of them laying on either side of the skull chewing away with only about 5 inches of antler left. Also which I had a picture of them squaring side by side the next morning trying to crap out a whole elk antler.

Elk97

WKR
Sent a bear hide to a taxidermist (sort of) and he brought it back with one ear completely gone. He said his dog chewed it off like it wasn't important. No, didn't pay him.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I just got this year archery whitetail cleaned up and drying, mom and dad came over and wanted to see it so i brought it out to the porch. Left on the table on the back porch and a opposum ate the whole nose off. Nothing to but but hang it in the shop and laugh.

I feel for you, I had a nice 6x5 elk that I boiled out to do a European mount and left in the garage, my lab chewed off the nose portion. I was so pissed at the time, but it's on the wall next to a few others and is always a conversation piece, Lab has since passed away, so now every time I look at that mount it reminds me of that dog, which I loved to death. It gets easier, trust me.

TheGDog

WKR
Could be worse.

Just imagine having a sub 2Lbs pup (a very small super-adorable Chi) you recently added to the family... and the one freakin day you actually had to make the ride in to the office for a meeting, the lil booger gnawed on all the corners of all the base moldings in the condo (that you were soon going to be selling to move-up to a House), and on the first 4 inches or so of all the album covers on all these oldschool original pristine Vinyl LP Albums you'd inherited from your departed GrandFather, all along the bottom of the shelving unit you stored them in for display.

And... it's a Dog... so you have to catch them in the act, or it's meaningless to try to reprimand them now.. and there she is.. just a lookin' up at you... tail-wagging.. all happy as heck that you're back home now! In all her cuteness!

Right about then your one eyes develops a "Oh F*** He Just Lost It!" tick! From experiencing both conflicting ends of the emotional spectrum at the same time! HaHA! :)

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
After spending an entire day cleaning a buck for euro one year my neighbors dog came into my yard and did the same thing. I almost shot the dog I was so pissed.

TheGDog

WKR
I think I’ll just leave it as is. Sucks, but as @DenverCountryBoy said- in 16 years I’ll be able to think back about when that little shit chomped the snout off my first caribou.
Yeah man, in the grand scheme of things... having that memory permanently tied-in with your dog like that... Those kind of experiences, in the end, work good at showing us how we need to cool our jets, and not let stuff upset us soo much. Reminds us what's more important, those relationships. Some of us (myself) need reminding from time-to-time.