My Puppy Ate My Caribou Skull

This is purely a venting post. While waiting for my hook to come in to hang my euro mount, I had stored the skull on the bed in our guest room. My wife went in to do some computer work and didn’t shut the door when she was done. I walked down from putting the kids to bed and my hunting pup chewed the first third of the skull clean off. At about $1100 into it, getting it shipped from AK through getting it boiled. I am not a happy camper. Pouring a stiff drink or two to cool off. First Alaska hunt. Pretty bummed.

Anybody ever have a skull ruined?

Attachments

• 96D6E793-E0CA-4830-BA4D-D3B173944E7C.jpeg
    96D6E793-E0CA-4830-BA4D-D3B173944E7C.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 437

RMM

WKR
Don't tell anyone your dog did it, instead make up a good story about how you had to fend a grizz off from eating your whole caribou. Anything from firing a warning shot to scare it, to straight up hand to hand combat to protect your trophy. The world is your oyster.

KsRancher

WKR
That sucks. But make the most of it. I think you can buy a fake skull and cut your antlers off and screw them to it. Here is a picture of my dad's mule deer from a few yrs ago that he dropped off at our local vet to have him extract samples for a CWD test. He just cut the antlers off and sent the whole head in. Dad was PISSED to say the least. But we got them put on a fake skull and they look pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG952017111495113029853.jpg
    IMG952017111495113029853.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 2017111195173307(1).jpg
    2017111195173307(1).jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
I'd just take it as a sign and get a shoulder mount done. I have a whitetail that this happened too and have a fake skull it's on. It's in the garage high up and I constantly consider ripping it down and adding to the antler pile and tossing the skull.

rclouse79

WKR
I was watching my brothers dog and it ate my antelope horn while I had it off the skull. I was mad enough and can only image how you feel.

Sorry to hear but stuff happens especially when kids and puppies are involved!

Everyone’s different but antlers and skulls mean nothing to me. I gave both of my moose heads away and couldn’t tell you where my top 5 whitetail racks are “they all came from out of state hunts that I had a bit of money invested in.” I have the photos and the memories.

When I was a teenager I had a very big for my area rainbow trout mounted. When I was in the Marine Corps the movers broke it, I was pissed at the time but I don’t think it would be on my wall today anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
D’oh! That stinks. I’ve dog sat for friends dogs before and quadruple-barricaded the “trophy room” which has a bunch of euros and other stuff I’m sure a dog would love to chew apart. One reason why I don’t have a dog! That would not make me happy!

Sounds like it's time to do a euro of the puppy to replace the caribou. Kidding of course. Have you ever seen what a pug's skull looks like though, geez it's terrible looking. Google it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That is terrible.. Shouldn't have done it, but couldn't help it...

jhm2023

WKR
That is terrible.. Shouldn't have done it, but couldn't help it...
Yea, my wife was dog sitting a pug a while back. I couldn't help but think how ugly of an animal it was and wondered what it's skull could possibly look like. Took to the interwebs to find out and it's something that I don't guess I'll forget.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That sucks man, puppies tend to do that though lol. Mine chewed up a coyote skull on a desk he couldn't reach the week before.

Rich M

WKR
Neighbors dog got ahold of a skullcap i had and ate that. Not much can be done.

They sell plastic skulls you can acrew the antlers to.

My wife knocked a whitetail euro mount off the wall a few years back and smashed the snout about as far back as you that one. We swept the broken bits and hung it back on the wall. If someone asks about I just say he died of a sinus infection or something.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
It wasn't as bad as yours but I killed a really nice whitetail a few years ago and after skinning the head out I put it on a bench in the shop and went for a ride on the quad to get rid of the cape. While on my ride my daughter let our labs out to run around. My female immediately found the freshly skinned skull and went to work on it. I ended up cutting the jagged chewed up portion off. It doesn't look that bad I am still looking for the right knothole in an old tree I can nestle the nose into to hide it.

I was in my backyard skull-capping a bull I shot a few years ago. My phone kept ringing incessantly the whole time. I got the ivories out, set them aside on a cinder block and went to wash up. When I got back to the ivories, a squirrel had stolen them.