My new muley target on the way

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been punching arrows into my old Walmart target for a few years, losing enough by blowing through, (I never miss :) ), to pay for a better target several times over.

I'm slow to buy gear, not so much the money, as I don't have a bunch of time to research it all. That's what has been great about Rokslide and all the gear freaks on here.

Jared Bloomgren recommended the Hips targets and I decided to give them a try. I just ordered mine.

I'm gettting the X2 Series
http://hipstargets.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_1

in Muley of course.
attachment.php

that's just a pic from their website, but I'll take some field photos when I get mine and can test it out.

The target is advertised to take both broadheads and field points. I've heard that before from other manufacturers, but am usually disappointed when I try to pull my broadheads out.

These X2's seem more promising, though, as instead of layered foam, they have heat welded endurance foam, which is essentially a "solid", and will stop the arrows with less penetration, and should make it easier to pull the broadheads out as the layered foam's edges grab the blades. The foam is also advertised as self-healing.

I'll let you know.

Anyone else test these out?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well to answer myself, I just viewed the Mule Deer Project and Cindy is shooting one of these targets, too. Guess I'm a copy cat or she just has good taste, too.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Will do, good to hear from you.

I'll be watching for the UPS truck every day now.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Hips targets for quite a few years and have been satisfied with their performance. On my third target of theirs now and got the Big Game X2 series target.

I LOVE the Hips Muley Target and I think you will too. We've shot broadheads and field points in to it and it's stellar!

PhillyB

WKR
I have been using Hips targets for quite a few years and have been satisfied with their performance. On my third target of theirs now and got the Big Game X2 series target.

Jared- How long does a target last when shooting BH's? One, two, three seasons?

I bought a Rinehart and have been really disappointed. If these hold up for a couple seasons with serious broadhead use, I would be more than willing to give one a shot.

Cindy,

How are the Slick Tricks treating you!?!?! I am assuming that that is what Darin has you in based on our discussions.

You're right, that is what the plan is. I haven't received any yet. My husband shot his arrows with broadheads in to the target.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All right,
I got my new Hips target. I like it so far: light, stops arrows easily, and a good lookin' buck to shoot at (helps the mental game).

Here's some video I shot today.

[video=vimeo;46198291]http://vimeo.com/46198291[/video]