First Elk Hunt Second rifle Colorado

Hunting the second rifle season with my grandpa this year and it will be my first time. He has only been once, and didn't have any luck. I hoping I can help him change that. I have read multiple forums about boots, packs, and other essentials. Even though I still haven't found either of those, I haven't seen many forums on packing out an Elk. Does anybody have a link to a video, and have actually used the technique? I've cleaned whitetail since I was about 6 years old and I know there has to be something I would miss that others have figured out like: type/brands of tools, game bags, and is it better to debone to minimize weight? Also, I will gladly take advice on packs. Seems like your body type has a lot to do with the brand. I'm 6'2 210lbs and 34 waist. I would love to go with the EXO K4 5000, but not sure if its necessary for a guy that might go once a year.... if that.
Thanks in advance,

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
You able to get Pms yet? just sent you one but since you're new to the forum you may not get it yet

Jaquomo

WKR
Assuming you'll be hunting from a fixed base camp, get a good adjustable pack frame. You don't need a 5000 cu pack for a day pack. I'm about your same size, have a Kelty Cache Hauler and an ALPs frame for packing out meat. Both very adjustable. I hunt solo but carry two in my camp, one for me and one for a helper.

There are likely more videos showing how to quarter an elk than you can watch. We also just had a thread about the gutless method on here.

There's literally more information than you can consume before October.

Use the search function. Get your required posts and buy a pack from the classifieds. Game bags and knives are frequent topics...

Scheels has Stone Glacier packs on sale, last time I was in one.

Dave0317

WKR
Depending on how you hunt, you probably don’t need to spend much on a pack. If I was bringing someone grandparent age, I would imagine a backcountry mobile bivy type hunt is not the plan. Especially in second rifle weather, which could bring some single digit temps and snow.

So, if you have a comfortable base camp and will day hunt, I’d be more likely to say just bring a simple day pack, and keep some pack frames in the truck. You may still find Kelly Cache Haulers used, other companies make some similar frames too. You could also rig something together with military surplus ruck frames.

If you will live out of your pack, then yeah, spend the money on an Exo or something else good if you like. Just know it’s not needed if you mainly day hunt from a truck or basecamp.

Hunting the second rifle season with my grandpa this year and it will be my first time. He has only been once, and didn't have any luck.
I think most out of state hunters don’t realize how low their chances of success are. Last year the statewide elk second season success rate was 14%. I’d wager that when you just look at nonresidents, its quite a bit lower than that. So, I always tell my nonresident buddies to just enjoy the hunt and if you kill something that’s a bonus.

Marble

WKR
I think most out of state hunters don’t realize how low their chances of success are. Last year the statewide elk second season success rate was 14%. I’d wager that when you just look at nonresidents, its quite a bit lower than that. So, I always tell my nonresident buddies to just enjoy the hunt and if you kill something that’s a bonus.
This is pretty dang true. I've read different stats over the years, and it ranges from 5-7 years for moat people to kill their first elk.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
When you factor in private land hunters and guided-outfitted hunters, plus the better draw units, the real success rate for public land DIY OTC hunters is mid single digits. And that includes antlerless.