bee44b37f1ca3e69b5d84b12fe8ef946.jpg

Last edited:

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
Was a fun afternoon yesterday!

Lathered it on thick

View attachment 657001
View attachment 657002

After a 15 minute soak (it really slurped up the first coat), I rubbed it down and sat in the least dusty place in the house (wood stoves are great, but sure make a mess).

It’s showing pretty dark right now, but will lighten up with the next stages. I’ll let it sit a couple weeks now to dry before starting on wet sanding.

View attachment 657003View attachment 657004
View attachment 657006
View attachment 657005

5lb 8oz as it sits now
your grand dad can be proud of you.

Hey @Decker9 , quick question about your inletting, was the reasoning behind sinking it further intot he stock to allow material for removal during the finishing process? I think you may have mentioned it, I quickly read through it...

Also on the TruOil convo, for what its worth, I used it on a guitar I made my dad from scratch and I really liked how it came out. I wouldn't say it was an easy button for me, but maybe that's because it was the first time I had used it lol. Can't speak much to the durability of it, but it sure looked (and still does) great. I did two heavy coats, and then 10 thin ones cut 50/50 with mineral spirits, then wet sanded and one last thin coat.

Attachments

• image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 17
OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Superb work right there @Stearinlys ! Defiantly a special piece! I’d love to build my dad a rifle stock, he’s been married to his custom model 54 since before my time though, a stock built by me would sit in his cabinet I think lol.

I sunk the metal into the wood more for personal preference. I like a flush smooth transition from metal to wood, vs how factory rifle tangs tend to sit on the wood.

I asked around a bit to see if there was a reason for it, what Iv found is inletting into the wood can cause a chip out behind the tang if there isn’t a hair of clearance, which I found out on a previous build. With a proper tight bed though, the clearance can be so minimal it’s hard to see with an eye, and still feels like a smooth transition.

Iv had this rifle out a couple times on the pack, so far the finish is holding up well. I do find it a tad slippery under recoil, I’ll get it checkered here this winter I think.

IMG_4485.jpeg

Superb work right there @Stearinlys ! Defiantly a special piece! I’d love to build my dad a rifle stock, he’s been married to his custom model 54 since before my time though, a stock built by me would sit in his cabinet I think lol.
Hahaha that's fair! I probably would have been less inclined to do this if it would have just sat there, but he always wanted, and was in the market for, a Tele... and his birthday was coming up, so I knew it would get used. But man, what a process, and seeing his face light up when he first saw it.... Made it all worth it haha.
I sunk the metal into the wood more for personal preference. I like a flush smooth transition from metal to wood, vs how factory rifle tangs tend to sit on the wood.

I asked around a bit to see if there was a reason for it, what Iv found is inletting into the wood can cause a chip out behind the tang if there isn’t a hair of clearance, which I found out on a previous build. With a proper tight bed though, the clearance can be so minimal it’s hard to see with an eye, and still feels like a smooth transition.
Makes sense, I'm with you on the transition... Feels cleaner and more streamlined, which is what I prefer. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. How're you finding the area around your hinge plate? Not having any issues with snagging at all?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID