My Method of Developing Sight Tapes

dkime

WKR
There are a ton of questions out there on the forum right now around sight tape softwares and methods that are being deployed to establish and create these tapes. The method I use is a method that was given to me years ago while on the tournament trail and is by no means the end all be all method for creating these tapes. It is simply the method that I use and it has proven itself to be my most accurate method of sight tape development. I have simply adjusted this method to work for the most common bow sights on the market as well as sights that have the tape itself attached to the dial. (Fast eddie, HHA, etc) The only sight I have not used this on is a Dialed sight because of the variable sight radius it creates.

This may be broken into several posts due to the amount of information and images needed, so if you show up early try not to post to interrupt the flow until I've put out all the info I can.

Prerequisites

A Fully tuned bow:
An improper tune creates poor trajectory; poor trajectory creates slow sight tapes. Use whatever method you want; I covered my tuning methods with @realunlucky on the Rokcast a few months back. https://www.rokslide.com/tt30-bow-tuning-with-daykota-kime-and-the-cold-bow-challenge/

Archers Advantage subscription: This software is invaluable when you learn to use it at a high level, yes it costs $20 a year but that $20 is worth its weight in gold when your buddies want to argue over trajectory of heavy vs light arrows.....

www.archersadvantageonline.com

Initial Peep height measurement while at full draw. This is done easiest in a Drawboard. Don't obsess over getting this measurement perfect. Just get it within 1/8" to start with a tape measure. If you don't have a draw board then just use your buddy.

Peep to sight radius measurement while at full draw: Again either a draw board or a very trusting friend would make this all possible. Get this measurement within 1/16" using a tape measure.

Calipers: Calipers are going to be your best friend when pulling measurements off of your sight. A tape measure is not going to be accurate enough to create a truly bomb proof sight tape.

Adhesive backed paper or similar and pen: This is going to be used for your sight tape blank., pen will be used for making marks on this for your 3 different yardages.

0-70 Range: In this method you will develop 3 baseline yardage marks. Why 3? Because mathematically any 2 points can fall on an arc, while 3 points are used to establish an arc. These marks need to be established on the same day, on the same range, under the same conditions. This is important because variable light conditions create shadows inside of a peep which creates POI shift.

30yd and 70yd mark. It is important to establish your first two marks at a distance at which you can begin to see what minute changes to your sight. 20yds is too close because I can be off a yard in either direction with my arrow setup and still be inside of the X ring on a vegas face. Use a horizontal line, shoot until your grouping trend is centered about the line. Like all things, the better you can shoot, the better your sight tape is going to be. Shit in = Shit out as the saying goes.

3yd mark. Why 3yds? 3yds is inside of the crossover point where your arrow is below your normally established 20yd mark. (Archers Parallax) This mark is used to manipulate your peep height in the software. Think of it as BC number in the rifle world, we use our shot in 3yd measurement, and adjust out peep height measurement in the software until the curve matches.

Notes: Use the same pin for establishing all sight marks. No chronograph is required and frankly shouldn't ever be required. The manipulation of your peep height number in the software alters your estimated velocity and it ends up being completely irrelevant what the software says your estimated speed will be. I won't get into the weeds on this because the software takes into consideration launch angle, shot angle, as well as line of sight angle, all of which ultimately are negated by the peep height adjustment. Chronograph based softwares have no way of taking into consideration an accurate speed degradation based on the amount of helical you put on vanes, or specific vanes in general. What you are essentially about to do is create a custom drag model.

Step 0: Establish your 3 yardage marks on your sticky back. As listed above, get your groups centered about a horizontal line for the first two distances. For your 3yard Mark I suggest using a sheet of printer paper with a hole poked in it from your arrow. Establish your 3yd mark as meticulously as possible. Put a single arrow inside of a single arrow hole, you can do it just work at it. Once these 3 marks are established you will remove your temporary sight tape from the sight for measurement.

Step 1: Build your setup inside of archers advantage. You will need to fill out the information on each tab of all 3 areas of input Arrow configuration, Sight configuration (Select Inch for type of sight covered in step 2), Bow configuration

1719938804962.png
Step 2. Under the sight configuration tab it is important to select "Inch" for the sight type because we will be using our calipers to provide trajectory information for the assembly of the sight tapes

1719939655936.png

Step 3: Go to the "Sight in tab" shown on the left hand side of the screen and this is where your calipers come in handy. You will input the first two yardage distances as range 1 and range 2. You can see that I used 30 and 65.5 in this example. Your first mark will always be established as your 0 mark because the other two measurements will be pulled from this mark. As you can see below the distance on the tape from my 30 to my 65.5 is 1.125" as measured on my temporary tape with calipers. Images shown below. Input the data and click calculate speed. My speed is showing that is off by a margin of 60fps compared to the real world because I use a Fast eddie and the sight tape attaches to the dial knob rather than the vertical travel bar.

1719940174653.png
1719939939074.png

Step 4: Go to the preview marks tab and see what the difference between your calculated 3yd mark would be in the software and what the actual 3yd mark is when you shot it in. As you can see above my shot in 3yd mark is .743" and as you can see below my calculated 3yd mark is .247"

1719940274930.png

Step 5 is a lot of button clicking to get these numbers to match. Because my calculated 3yd mark is less than my real world calculated mark, I need to lie to the software and raise my peep height in the software under the setup tab. This is going to take some trial and error to figure out how much you would raise your peep virtually. For the sake of being more succinct I know that a 6.25" peep height in the software gives me my correct 3yd mark. So we go back the setup tab as previously alluded.

1719940944900.png

Step 6: This is very important, after you have adjusted your peep height in the software you must return to the sight in tab and click calculate speed once again. As you can see below it changed my previously irrelevant speed to an even more irrelevant speed.

1719941058217.png
Step 7: Return to preview marks page and validate that your virtual 3yd mark matches your real world mark.

1719941127622.png

Step 8: Go to the print tab and follow the instructions to print your now perfect sight tapes.

Pretty lengthy post but once you figure this out it becomes very easy and will become essential to shooting accurately at distance.

Attachments

• 1719939014173.png
    1719939014173.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 1719939509595.png
    1719939509595.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting and informative.

How much better is this than just making your own sight tape by marking a blank tape at each distance do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbelz

FNG
Very interesting and informative.

How much better is this than just making your own sight tape by marking a blank tape at each distance do you think?

It is better (in that you don’t have to spend countless hours getting 100+ accurate marks on a sheet of adhesive paper by hand).

Gmatyok

FNG
There are a ton of questions out there on the forum right now around sight tape softwares and methods that are being deployed to establish and create these tapes. The method I use is a method that was given to me years ago while on the tournament trail and is by no means the end all be all method for creating these tapes. It is simply the method that I use and it has proven itself to be my most accurate method of sight tape development. I have simply adjusted this method to work for the most common bow sights on the market as well as sights that have the tape itself attached to the dial. (Fast eddie, HHA, etc) The only sight I have not used this on is a Dialed sight because of the variable sight radius it creates.

This may be broken into several posts due to the amount of information and images needed, so if you show up early try not to post to interrupt the flow until I've put out all the info I can.

Prerequisites

A Fully tuned bow:
An improper tune creates poor trajectory; poor trajectory creates slow sight tapes. Use whatever method you want; I covered my tuning methods with @realunlucky on the Rokcast a few months back.

Archers Advantage subscription: This software is invaluable when you learn to use it at a high level, yes it costs $20 a year but that $20 is worth its weight in gold when your buddies want to argue over trajectory of heavy vs light arrows.....

www.archersadvantageonline.com

Initial Peep height measurement while at full draw. This is done easiest in a Drawboard. Don't obsess over getting this measurement perfect. Just get it within 1/8" to start with a tape measure. If you don't have a draw board then just use your buddy.

Peep to sight radius measurement while at full draw: Again either a draw board or a very trusting friend would make this all possible. Get this measurement within 1/16" using a tape measure.

Calipers: Calipers are going to be your best friend when pulling measurements off of your sight. A tape measure is not going to be accurate enough to create a truly bomb proof sight tape.

Adhesive backed paper or similar and pen: This is going to be used for your sight tape blank., pen will be used for making marks on this for your 3 different yardages.

0-70 Range: In this method you will develop 3 baseline yardage marks. Why 3? Because mathematically any 2 points can fall on an arc, while 3 points are used to establish an arc. These marks need to be established on the same day, on the same range, under the same conditions. This is important because variable light conditions create shadows inside of a peep which creates POI shift.

30yd and 70yd mark. It is important to establish your first two marks at a distance at which you can begin to see what minute changes to your sight. 20yds is too close because I can be off a yard in either direction with my arrow setup and still be inside of the X ring on a vegas face. Use a horizontal line, shoot until your grouping trend is centered about the line. Like all things, the better you can shoot, the better your sight tape is going to be. Shit in = Shit out as the saying goes.

3yd mark. Why 3yds? 3yds is inside of the crossover point where your arrow is below your normally established 20yd mark. (Archers Parallax) This mark is used to manipulate your peep height in the software. Think of it as BC number in the rifle world, we use our shot in 3yd measurement, and adjust out peep height measurement in the software until the curve matches.

Notes: No chronograph is required and frankly shouldn't ever be required. The manipulation of your peep height number in the software alters your estimated velocity and it ends up being completely irrelevant what the software says your estimated speed will be. I won't get into the weeds on this because the software takes into consideration launch angle, shot angle, as well as line of sight angle, all of which ultimately are negated by the peep height adjustment. Chronograph based softwares have no way of taking into consideration an accurate speed degradation based on the amount of helical you put on vanes, or specific vanes in general. What you are essentially about to do is create a custom drag model.

Step 0: Establish your 3 yardage marks on your sticky back. As listed above, get your groups centered about a horizontal line for the first two distances. For your 3yard Mark I suggest using a sheet of printer paper with a hole poked in it from your arrow. Establish your 3yd mark as meticulously as possible. Put a single arrow inside of a single arrow hole, you can do it just work at it. Once these 3 marks are established you will remove your temporary sight tape from the sight for measurement.

Step 1: Build your setup inside of archers advantage. You will need to fill out the information on each tab of all 3 areas of input Arrow configuration, Sight configuration (Select Inch for type of sight covered in step 2), Bow configuration

View attachment 731345
Step 2. Under the sight configuration tab it is important to select "Inch" for the sight type because we will be using our calipers to provide trajectory information for the assembly of the sight tapes

View attachment 731356

Step 3: Go to the "Sight in tab" shown on the left hand side of the screen and this is where your calipers come in handy. You will input the first two yardage distances as range 1 and range 2. You can see that I used 30 and 65.5 in this example. Your first mark will always be established as your 0 mark because the other two measurements will be pulled from this mark. As you can see below the distance on the tape from my 30 to my 65.5 is 1.125" as measured on my temporary tape with calipers. Images shown below. Input the data and click calculate speed. My speed is showing that is off by a margin of 60fps compared to the real world because I use a Fast eddie and the sight tape attaches to the dial knob rather than the vertical travel bar.

View attachment 731358
View attachment 731357

Step 4: Go to the preview marks tab and see what the difference between your calculated 3yd mark would be in the software and what the actual 3yd mark is when you shot it in. As you can see above my shot in 3yd mark is .743" and as you can see below my calculated 3yd mark is .247"

View attachment 731359

Step 5 is a lot of button clicking to get these numbers to match. Because my calculated 3yd mark is less than my real world calculated mark, I need to lie to the software and raise my peep height in the software under the setup tab. This is going to take some trial and error to figure out how much you would raise your peep virtually. For the sake of being more succinct I know that a 6.25" peep height in the software gives me my correct 3yd mark. So we go back the setup tab as previously alluded.

View attachment 731369

Step 6: This is very important, after you have adjusted your peep height in the software you must return to the sight in tab and click calculate speed once again. As you can see below it changed my previously irrelevant speed to an even more irrelevant speed.

View attachment 731371
Step 7: Return to preview marks page and validate that your virtual 3yd mark matches your real world mark.

View attachment 731372

Step 8: Go to the print tab and follow the instructions to print your now perfect sight tapes.

Pretty lengthy post but once you figure this out it becomes very easy and will become essential to shooting accurately at distance.

Thank you for sharing! This is very informative

I'm still sold on 20 for starting my scale.
Reason is, I feel like I can hold and see what I'm aiming at better at 20 than further out and be certain of what my 20 really is. Don't think there's a thing wrong with using 30, but I haven't ever had to play with peep height to make things work. What AA spits out for my FPS with my inputs is within 1-2 fps of what my chrono has said.

I use a level horizontal line of flagging tape, and actually shoot at the edge, or shoot at the edge of a paper target. Can normally stack arrows splitting that line.

I have always just used a 20, and a mark however far I plan on using that setup, usually no further than 80, but my tapes have still been good to 110-120. One thing I think helps a lot is having a sight scale so you aren't using calipers. I think the scales make it more accurate than trying to measure it, but of course not all sights offer those so you don't have a choice. Or just use sights that do, my hunting sights have been SH Tommy's or Hogg Fathers and are scaled.

Setting peep in middle of the sight range I think is a big help too.

Thanks for the write up, gives a place to send people that explains everything really well.

Edited to fix wording, stupid autoscrewup.

Last edited:
OP
D

dkime

WKR
I'm still sold on 20 for starting my said.
Reason is, I feel like I can hold and see what I'm aiming at better at 20 than further out and be certain of what my 20 really is. Don't think there's a thing wrong with using 30, but I haven't ever had to play with peep height to make things work. What AA spits out for my FPS with my inputs is within 1-2 fps of what my chrono has said.

I use a level horizontal line of flagging tape, and actually shoot at the edge, or shoot at the edge of a paper target. Can normally stack arrows splitting that line.

I have always just used a 20, and a mark however far I plan on using that setup, usually no further than 80, but my tapes have still been good to 110-120. One thing I think helps a lot is having a sight scale so you aren't using calipers. I think the scales make it more accurate than trying to measure it, but of course not all sights offer those so you don't have a choice. Or just use sights that do, my hunting sights have been SH Tommy's or Hogg Fathers and are scaled.

Setting peep in middle of the sight range I think is a big help too.

Thanks for the write up, gives a place to send people that explains everything really well.

You don’t count cuz you shoot better than the rest of us lol

while 3 points are probably more accurate.. I used archery advantage, put in all the measurements and sighted in at 20 and 90. I've done it 2x now and it seems good. I'm going to try Precision Cut tomorrow by using DA and 30 60 90 to see if anything changes

OP
D

dkime

WKR
while 3 points are probably more accurate.. I used archery advantage, put in all the measurements and sighted in at 20 and 90. I've done it 2x now and it seems good. I'm going to try Precision Cut tomorrow by using DA and 30 60 90 to see if anything changes
I know this is a bowhunting forum so needless to say lots of guys develop sight tapes each year using their own method and stack bodies. When I would do it this way I would find that my mid-range yardages would often vary by a yard to a half a yard. Doesn't seem like much to the average guy when you realize the delta between 45 and 44.5 is only about an inch. But in my past life that was the difference between winning and losing.

Dan Jasa is who I first learned this from. He's a PSE rep where i grew up as well as having won a pile of national events as a pro and has represented our country for the last 3 years travelling overseas shooting. I always felt if it was good enough for him then its good enough for me.

Easy test for guys on judging sight tape accuracy. Flat string across a bale with a fresh piece of cardboard. Scatter a dozen arrows from as close as you want to as far as you want, inside and outside of the two marks that were used to develop tapes.

Caveats. No whole yardages, no numbers that end in a zero or a 5 to keep it simple. Repeat the test enough times to eliminate shooting ability because again we're talking potentially very minute shifts here.

It's always funny to me how guys tend to be completely OCD about the things we attach to our bows, our accessories have to match, our arrows have to be within 1gr, our peep has to be X diameter to be successful. But when it comes to information like this that can truly be beneficial and actually make a difference in success AND has a measurable result. Folks are happy with less than perfect.

Tony Boyer (GOAT of Benchrest) had 3 things he would say, and I try to live by them
1. I would never tell you to do anything that I knew to be untrue
2. My way of doing things is far from the only way of doing things
3. There's been a lot of asses stomped across the country by doing it this way.

jbelz

FNG
I know this is a bowhunting forum so needless to say lots of guys develop sight tapes each year using their own method and stack bodies. When I would do it this way I would find that my mid-range yardages would often vary by a yard to a half a yard. Doesn't seem like much to the average guy when you realize the delta between 45 and 44.5 is only about an inch. But in my past life that was the difference between winning and losing.

Dan Jasa is who I first learned this from. He's a PSE rep where i grew up as well as having won a pile of national events as a pro and has represented our country for the last 3 years travelling overseas shooting. I always felt if it was good enough for him then its good enough for me.

Easy test for guys on judging sight tape accuracy. Flat string across a bale with a fresh piece of cardboard. Scatter a dozen arrows from as close as you want to as far as you want, inside and outside of the two marks that were used to develop tapes.

Caveats. No whole yardages, no numbers that end in a zero or a 5 to keep it simple. Repeat the test enough times to eliminate shooting ability because again we're talking potentially very minute shifts here.

It's always funny to me how guys tend to be completely OCD about the things we attach to our bows, our accessories have to match, our arrows have to be within 1gr, our peep has to be X diameter to be successful. But when it comes to information like this that can truly be beneficial and actually make a difference in success AND has a measurable result. Folks are happy with less than perfect.

Tony Boyer (GOAT of Benchrest) had 3 things he would say, and I try to live by them
1. I would never tell you to do anything that I knew to be untrue
2. My way of doing things is far from the only way of doing things
3. There's been a lot of asses stomped across the country by doing it this way.
Arrows need to be +/- one grain because that requires somebody else (manufacturer) to take the time & effort to be nearly perfect.

Creating the best possible sight tape requires you (the shooter) to take the time & effort to be nearly perfect.

Humans gonna human.