My goat packing experiment

GoatPackr

WKR
The meat goats might be just fine if you are a picnic packer. But if you are looking for off trail athletes that can go for long days with heavy loads through blow downs then you are most often going to do better with the skinny long legged dairy breeds. Boars typically have short legs and big bellys.
Some people do well with them but they put a lot of miles on them to keep them lean.
A small % of meat goat can help to add some width to the shoulders of a dairy breed.

Kris

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up my goats Saturday. Now the training and growing. In 3 years I’ll hopefully be selling my backpacks

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
It depends. If you buy from a quality breeder figure about 5-600. They can pack 30-40% of their body weight. I expect my wethers to carry 50-70 lbs

GoatPackr

WKR
Loading goats to heavy often can lead to them breaking down early.
It's typically recommended to load to 25% of body weight.
You can get away with more for a short distance and good terrain.
An ideal size goat is 180 -225 lbs body weight

Conditioning is most important.
You can't pull them out of the field for hunting season and just go. They need constant use.

Kris

Conditioning is most important.
You can't pull them out of the field for hunting season and just go. They need constant use.

Kris
^^^^^^^^Best advice on this forum

Frequent Conditioning = physical exercise and mental training

You get what you put into any type of pack animal. The physical aspect become more and more critical with the smaller the size animal you go with.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
^^^^^^^^Best advice on this forum

Frequent Conditioning = physical exercise and mental training

You get what you put into any type of pack animal. The physical aspect become more and more critical with the smaller the size animal you go with.
Totally agree!

I like going on runs with my goats and then sprinkle in weighted pack training.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
My 3 year olds have been doing some packing with lighter loads and have been doing great.
Yesterday was the first time they got to help pack something out rather than just packing camp in. 20231013_132512.jpg20231014_084406.jpg
They still got lighter loads, but it was nice to have someone else pack out the the loose meat and the front quarters. It was also cool to see that when they're full grown, and I bring along goat #4, we could get an elk out in 1 trip with me taking a hind quarter in my pack. I'm getting close...

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
My 3 year olds have been doing some packing with lighter loads and have been doing great.
Yesterday was the first time they got to help pack something out rather than just packing camp in. View attachment 614094View attachment 614095
They still got lighter loads, but it was nice to have someone else pack out the the loose meat and the front quarters. It was also cool to see that when they're full grown, and I bring along goat #4, we could get an elk out in 1 trip with me taking a hind quarter in my pack. I'm getting close...
How much weight did each one pack?

chav0_12

FNG
So curious what you guys think. How many goats would one guy need to pack camp and an elk out a few miles deep? My brother in law and I have been talking about getting llamas or goats or something.

GoatPackr

WKR
So curious what you guys think. How many goats would one guy need to pack camp and an elk out a few miles deep? My brother in law and I have been talking about getting llamas or goats or something.
I've been told that it takes 6 goats to pack a bull elk.
Camp will depend on how big of a Camp you have.
 Kris

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I've been told that it takes 6 goats to pack a bull elk.
Camp will depend on how big of a Camp you have.
 Kris
That seems accurate. Maybe fewer if you shoot a smaller elk or are willing to do some of the heavy lifting. My mature cow was 190 lbs bone in with hide on the hinds (I carried those) if you debone and piece it all out for goats I bet you're around 155 lbs. That would be doable with 3 full grown, well conditioned goats.

However, bull would Be significantly heavier, plus camp as was stated.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
I wanted to update this thread since I finally got to pack meat with my goats. This was a rut hunt here in eastern Washington that I drew. I was expecting some snow but it ended up being in the 40s and super mild. Great for backcountry hunting, not so great for deer movement. On the morning of the second day I glassed up a decent buck (for this area) that I wanted to go after. I packed up my ridge camp and dropped down to the creek and set up camp knowing I was probably going to be coming back in the dark.

We crossed the creek and started our 1800 foot climb up the other side to get to where I had last seen the buck. Well when we got up there he was 100 yards from where I left him pushing does around. I got into 280 yards and as I was setting up for my shot the goats came up from below me and the buck spotted them. It ended up working in my favor because he sat there and watched them eat while I got steady. I shot the buck and he took a nasty dive off a cliff breaking some tines.

He died in some thick brush which ended up making it super difficult quartering him out by myself. But I did it and loaded the goats up. We got him back to camp just after dark.
The next morning I boned out all the meat and loaded up camp. Most goats were around 30 pounds and one was at 38. We had a 3 mile 2000 foot climb to make. I ended up having to take some meat off the heavy one and putting it in my pack the last half mile as he was slowing down a lot. I should have done more conditioning but we moved in August and I had to build these guys a whole new barn. Anyway we made it after about 2.5 hours. Gave them some hay and headed home.
Lessons:
1. I will never tarp up again, coats are the way to go. So much easier.
2. Tie them up while you are working on your animal, they will get curious and you might have to go retrieve them.
3. This was the deepest water crossing they have done, if you can get one across the rest will come. If you are doing this lead your best goat across.
4. Using 4 goats for a solo mule deer hunt was perfect. Not too much work and able to carry more than enough.

I can’t wait for summer hiking season and getting to do more hunting with them next year.
IMG_3047.jpegIMG_3045.jpegIMG_3051.jpeg
IMG_3075.jpeg