My girlfriend got bit by a raccoon this evening…

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
My best friend‘s family has an 800 acre farm. They have trapped over 400 raccoons in the past five years. Takes a whole lot of consistent work to make a dent in the population.

I will say that it is common now to have 20 to 25 turkeys on camera at one time

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Since I have some down time I decided to do a little trap maintenance.
Went and picked up some 3/16” round stock and cut it to length, then drove it up into the round over edges of the door.
Done deal. Door won’t bend now

IMG_3467.jpeg

Beendare

WKR
Coons easily break out of the live traps. The locking bar can slip if they push hard enough and they can. The trap I used was modified by adding a secondary lock to keep that from happening. Now they don’t get out.
Yep, Ive had them reach around, slip the latch and push out while I was standing there…a bit surprised I might add, smart buggers

DuckDogDr

WKR
Last summer was riding around the farm and saw one running across the pasture at lunch time.. as soon as it saw me (about 75 yards between us)… it stopped and bowed up, started growling, dancing around like a pissed off cat….. may or may not have been rabid but problem was taken care of

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Very happy for the successful ending, very sad the thread is ending. Much better than reading about which truck sucks the least.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Just a short update:

The cell camera is showing minimal raccoon activity during the night, with only one or two wandering by.

Looks like the ‘relocation process’ had positive results.

Will continue to monitor, maybe try to capture a couple more

IMG_3480.jpeg

Kenn

WKR
When I’ve caught a raccoon/skunk/opossum in a live trap I put the trap in a large garbage bag and fill it with exhaust from the lawnmower. A few minutes does the trick and THEN I relocate it.

Edit - with the skunk I put the trap in the bag with just the open door exposed before catching anything. Once I got it I just put the mower next to it and smoked it without getting sprayed.

Last edited: