My Fisrt Triathlon

Vandal 44

WKR
I finished my first Triathlon today and was it cold. We started at 9:00am and the temp was 48 degrees and kind of windy, the water was warmer than the outside temp. I finished in 1 hour 38 minutes not to bad for being in the Clydesdale division. It was only a sprint triathlon so 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike and a 3 miles run. My feet where numb for 2 1/2 miles, I wanted to finish in 1 hour and 30 min so I was a little off the time I wanted to finish in.

My next Triathlon will be in 41 days and this one will be an Olympic Tri. 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and a 6 mile run. By the time elk season comes around I should be in shape to go chase them around the woods.

There's no way my shins would support me running on pavement/asphalt for anything more than a mile or two... I could bike all day but agree with the others I would be the guy out there swimming in circles... water is NOT my forte'! Great job man thats awesome!

Mike

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great job Vandal! I did my first sprint Tri this spring too, and feel like it gave me a huge leg up on preseason training for backpack and hunting season. I don't think you will be disappointed. Let us know how your next races go....

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
TJ, this Tri was in Rathdrum, ID just a few miles up from Coeur D' Alene, ID

I agree with everyone the swimming is not fun, There is some anxiety before and during the swimm. Once your done with the swimm it feels like a big wieght has been lifted off your shoulders and chest. Its easy to get off course, that happened to me. There was a girls in a canoe that came along side me to tell me I was going in the wrong direction.

My next two races will be at Lake Chelan, WA. and Coeur D' Alene, ID

Thanks for the support Gerry

slvrslngr

WKR
Congrats on your first and good luck with the next! I love the idea of tri's but despise swimming, though I love the water, odd huh? I'll stick to running and mountain biking, sunday I'm doing my first bike race in about 15 years. Hopefully my 40 year old knees hold up to 50kms on the singlespeed!

G Posik

WKR
Congrats on the triathlon. They can become addictive. I use to do them when I was in my 20's. I started like you with the sprint distance, then moved to the half Iroman. It takes alot of your time for the 1/2 and full Ironman. They are really fun and you will find out a lot about your self. Not 20 years later I often think about doing the sprints again.......

Glenn

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
G Posik, I know what you mean about time consumption, I travel a lot for work so there is not a lot of time. I was going try and do the a half Iroman but that would take up more time than I am willing to commit. At 43 years old and a few knee surgeries I don't think my body could handle the pounding anyway.

Best way to make up time is improve yourself in the transition area and spend more time....in...the...saddle.
Hilton Head qualifier long ago, now I just bike

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congats! That is a long swim for a sprint! Most are a 1/4 or 500M...good job. Rick is right....work on those transition times.

Clydesdale division Dude;) The next one you do and you will do another, its a drug, it will be warmer. Forgo the shirt - bike in your swim suit/trunks - leave your shoes in the pedals (practice this) put them on as you are going down the road. Your running shoes should have the plunger device like a bolo tie, just make sure the laces are not too long. Just saved you a minute + and increased your place by 10. Congrats big guy step up to the podium:D:D

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
Rick thanks for the advice. I have two more Triatholons this year both are the Olympic distances, I should place higher. I have been working on my swim. My next two events there is not a Clydesdale division so I will be in the age group between 40 and 45 I am going to go for a time of 2 hours and 45 minutes but that 1.2 mile swim will kill me. I will let y'all know how I do.

Bighorse

WKR
I got second place at the national championships in the Clydesdale division in 2001. That was an Olympic distance race. I've been able to do olympic distance races in less than 2 hrs in the past. My swimming is very strong though. I will be doing a 5k open water swim in the Pacific Ocean around Sitka Alaksa in about 6 weeks.

In relation to to hunting. The tri is a great avenue to test your mental game and push your physical limits. Working through exaustion is a great exercise.

Good luck! Your fast on your way to the elk mountains.