My first go at stock painting

SDHNTR

WKR
Used Freedom Stencils, Brownells Alumahyde II paint and Duracoat matte clear coat. For a first attempt, I’m happy with the results. This was an all black McM Rem Hunter Edge.

A few things I will do differently next time:

Use more stencils. I bought 2 pages. The 4 page kit would have been better.

The OD Green is not dark enough. I would either use Woodland green too, or instead. At least if I was going for the same look with FDE as the primary color. The barreled action going into this stock is Cerakoted OD Green so I went with the FDE for the primary color. I would also consider adding in some Earth brown.

Heat ALL cans of Alumahyde for at least an hour. On one can I was in a hurry and only gave it a few minutes in front of the heater. It definitely didn’t spray or lay down as smoothly as the heated colors. Warming Alumahyde is a must.

I used Alumahyde for the colors because it’s cheaper per can. Then put a clear coat of Duracoat on top for durability. Worked fine, but I may consider using all Duracoat next time. It drys faster and harder. Both are very easy to work with in aerosol form.

I will no longer pay a pro to have this done. Super easy!

Attachments

• 0FEE48C3-490C-4D59-836E-F630FC2BA36B.jpeg
    0FEE48C3-490C-4D59-836E-F630FC2BA36B.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 216
Looks good. I quit the stencils for sponge jobs.... Easier to me., personally.

IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_2433_(2).JPG
IMG_7362.JPG
IMG_7340.JPG
IMG_0439_zpsjwaya9yn.jpg

IMG_0576_zps7ujci6ui.jpg

Shraggs

WKR
Man that came out great!

I’m getting ready to do same, only I’m going with bright base colors, yellow, red and sky blue with decoration on three tikkas.

I just know I’ll never find a camo gun in a cut cornfield, lol.

I was going to use rust oleum 2x ultra base and finish all in one. Allegedly works well on plastic. Should I be looking at different products?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Man that came out great!

I’m getting ready to do same, only I’m going with bright base colors, yellow, red and sky blue with decoration on three tikkas.

I just know I’ll never find a camo gun in a cut cornfield, lol.

I was going to use rust oleum 2x ultra base and finish all in one. Allegedly works well on plastic. Should I be looking at different products?
I would use a firearm specific product. Aluma-Hyde is not much more expensive than hardware store spray paint, but it is more resistant to gun oils and solvents. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to take my stock off every time I clean a gun.

Used Freedom Stencils, Brownells Alumahyde II paint and Duracoat matte clear coat. For a first attempt, I’m happy with the results. This was an all black McM Rem Hunter Edge.

The OD Green is not dark enough. I would either use Woodland green too, or instead. At least if I was going for the same look with FDE as the primary color. The barreled action going into this stock is Cerakoted OD Green so I went with the FDE for the primary color. I would also consider adding in some Earth brown.

Heat ALL cans of Alumahyde for at least an hour. On one can I was in a hurry and only gave it a few minutes in front of the heater. It definitely didn’t spray or lay down as smoothly as the heated colors. Warming Alumahyde is a must.

I used Alumahyde for the colors because it’s cheaper per can. Then put a clear coat of Duracoat on top for durability. Worked fine, but I may consider using all Duracoat next time. It drys faster and harder. Both are very easy to work with in aerosol form.

I like that!

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved

Turned out awesome!!! I wonder if you tried a sponge pattern on top of the Duracoat & then coated your finished pattern….? You got the room to do it, do you think it would bond & finish out?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Turned out awesome!!! I wonder if you tried a sponge pattern on top of the Duracoat & then coated your finished pattern….? You got the room to do it, do you think it would bond & finish out?
A little steel wool scuff up and I’m sure it would adhere. I had to touch up a couple spots and did that and you can’t even tell. I don’t want the soft lines of a sponge on this look, but at some point in the future I may cut some negative void stencils, mask everything else off and add a few more color splotches.

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
A little steel wool scuff up and I’m sure it would adhere. I had to touch up a couple spots and did that and you can’t even tell. I don’t want the soft lines of a sponge on this look, but at some point in the future I may cut some negative void stencils, mask everything else off and add a few more color splotches.
Love It…. I know it’s stressful, I’ve been there….but you got a battle plan bro…..keep us posted

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Fully cured and all back together. New scope it deserved. New look. Just need to use it more now. This was my very first custom build from several years ago. .260 Rem. Pacnor barrel on a highly modified 700 action. Built it to be a lightweight, compact backpacking/mountain gun. Never been 100% happy with it. But I think I finally am now.

Attachments

• 14A702F2-E1FD-4638-8B86-82E6EEA1E163.jpeg
    14A702F2-E1FD-4638-8B86-82E6EEA1E163.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 59

Babs

FNG
Looks awesome! Ive done a few with rattle cans… theyve held up really well despite getting beat in the mountains!

Attachments

• IMG_5891.png
    IMG_5891.png
    774.4 KB · Views: 31