My Dad, a "Gentleman Hunter", wants to go West!

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
What up gangstas. Let me preface this conundrum by saying I am on this forum because I enjoy backpack hunting in the west, even while living in PA. I know, I know, an easterner, a flat lander, infiltrating and polluting Western hunting, crowding access and increasing pressure. For these past and future crimes, I am truly sorry...

Any who, my father, an even more vile American, a mid-western flat later from Illinois, told me this year HE would like to go Elk hunting! HE has not been out west in at least 15 years and he would like my brother and brother in law, both whom have never hunted, to join us. The kicker is, he told me he would like to use an outfitter! Holding my vomit in my mouth, because it is my father, I said yes. So there in lies my question, if you were me, being a public land, mostly archery purist, how would you handle such a situation? And my inevitable follow up question, do you have an outfitter you would recommend/TRUST in ideally, CO, but would consider ID, WY, MT?

Thank you men, your blessings are appreciated.

Bulldog

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's your budget?
Have you talked to the guys that never hunted about costs? Might be some sticker shock

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

No help here in the recommended outfitter. @Indian Summer might know more than me. I believe he used to guide.

Go enjoy the ride with family! Pick up a rifle if that’s what it takes. I am making a point of hunting with my grandpa while I still can. Some days that means we get up late and hike little. It’s still totally worth it.

OP
Bulldog2nine

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget?
Have you talked to the guys that never hunted about costs? Might be some sticker shock

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I told him they vary, ALOT. However, he said its his retirement gift to himself, my brother, brother-in-law and me. Definitely makes it more interesting and easier to swallow. You think Remi is available? lol

def90

WKR
Well, my cousin and 4 or 5 other guys from Wisconsin came out to Colorado this past season for elk and they went through an outfitter near Maybell. They all got an elk, one cow and the rest bulls, so I guess if you all end up getting one as well the $$ spent might be more palatable.

OP
Bulldog2nine

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
Well, my cousin and 4 or 5 other guys from Wisconsin came out to Colorado this past season for elk and they went through an outfitter near Maybell. They all got an elk, one cow and the rest bulls, so I guess if you all end up getting one as well the $$ spent might be more palatable.
Do you happen to know what outfitter they went through?

Michael54

WKR
Sounds like you need to change your outlook on the trip before you go. It's a hunt with your dad and it sounds like he has thought about doing with you for awhile so regardless of the how its being done, appreciate who its with. Then you gotta pin down the state you want to hunt factoring in tag accessibility (Out West is a very big area) Then research the outfitters and cement it. On the bright side a lot of the stuff you are used to lugging through the backcountry you wont have to bother even packing 😁. I've heard from multiple friends here in western pa that they have had nothing but awesome experiences with yellowstone outfitters but the hunting in that area is getting harder from what i'm hearing.

OP
Bulldog2nine

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you need to change your outlook on the trip before you go. It's a hunt with your dad and it sounds like he has thought about doing with you for awhile so regardless of the how its being done, appreciate who its with. Then you gotta pin down the state you want to hunt factoring in tag accessibility (Out West is a very big area) Then research the outfitters and cement it. On the bright side a lot of the stuff you are used to lugging through the backcountry you wont have to bother even packing 😁. I've heard from multiple friends here in western pa that they have had nothing but awesome experiences with yellowstone outfitters but the hunting in that area is getting harder from what i'm hearing.
Appreciate the input! I'll take a look at them. Yes, I am coming around to changing my outlook slowly but surely :)

KineKilla

WKR
An outfitted hunt with family is an awesome trip. Especially if someone else is picking up a majority of the expense.

You get a different experience and overall feel during a hunt like that but it's still awesome. Just different.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I would go and enjoy it. One thing I have learned it’s just as much fun killing stuff on private land and not killing your self as it is on public land 10 miles back in and packing out a whole bull at once and suffering at night freezing and starving. Hunting is fun regardless if it’s private or public

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I say don’t even hesitate. You can’t “buy” enough good times and memories with with your dad & family, so whatever it cost will seem unimportant after the trip. I’m sure you know that already, and it’s a win-win decision.

OP
Bulldog2nine

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Boys, I’m sure it’ll be a great hunt with family. More that likely it’ll have to be OTC/Gen states unless we buy private. I don’t think my humble points in CO or WY will get us any further ahead. The most stressful part of this will be vetting an outfitter. I truly am sincere when I say I trust you fellas recommendations. Let me know if you have a suggestion, I really would appreciate it. Thank you to those that have offered a name already.

Cheers boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Budget is the determining factor in where you go and what you do. Compass West is good and have hunts in CO and NM. KB Outdoors has some good options and is a good outfit. Allout in CO is good. In Montana, Big Racks of Montana, Montana Hunting Co, Northern Rockies.

The price break will be between private and public. Figure $4000-5000 for public and $6500 and up for private. Bigger bull potential will drive up the price.

All are good hunts, just different. Private will be more comfortable in general, public will be more old school wall tents.

I'd love to hunt elk with my dad again.

Jeremy

Chad Madsen at Yellowstone Outfitters cell phone is 307-248-3638. Super nice guy. Big bulls up there.

For a great hunt with some other really nice people call Crooked Sky Outfitters at 307-202-1888. They will be less expensive than Yellowstone but still great hunting.

If it matters to you there are grizzlies where Yellowstone Outfitters hunts but none down where Crooked Sky is. I’ve never been to Chad’s camps but Crooked Sky has a really nice pack in camp that sits right on a lake. Both are in Wyoming.

Any questions shoot me a message. Good luck!

Last edited:

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I would give serious consideration to the age of your father and the possible elevation limitations that the years bring. Hunting elk at 5,000' - 7,000' is vastly different than hunting at 10,000'. I was a backpack hunter for many years in the high altitude areas (mostly in Colorado), and now limit myself. Altitude and aged flatlanders can sometime produce sad results. It might help to identify areas in your search for outfitters.
Some of the areas of Montana might be worth a look. Good luck in your search.