My 2024 Sheep Hunts

OP
aoudad

aoudad

FNG
Defiantly some conflicting info. This is straight off the non resident declaration form...
b6450976d220ea198ac085b2dc10ef9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
You’re looking at a prohibited firearm…….
See restricted firearms

I just re read the Dec form. That's prohibited. Restricted is the 18.5 inches. Thank you for bringing this up. Makes my choice a no brainer. Appreciate it. Sorry for the confusion

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Took the WY rifle out to 860 yards today. Not that I’d shoot that far at a sheep or deer but this rifle shoots good! Getting 2847 fps 18” bbl.

So the GW rifle being 18”…… from what I’ve read I cannot take it into Canada as it’s a restricted firearm (under 18.5”) and you can’t hunt with a restricted firearm. So I have a proof 22” bbl 6.5 I’ll be taking across the border for stone sheep.
This is some alarming news as I’m heading to NWT this August for a Dall hunt and my 6.5 PRC has an 18” barrel. Does the Muzzle Brake count? Including the brake I’m over 18.5!
Also, any concern with an XLR Atom folding chassis?

OP
aoudad

aoudad

FNG
This is some alarming news as I’m heading to NWT this August for a Dall hunt and my 6.5 PRC has an 18” barrel. Does the Muzzle Brake count? Including the brake I’m over 18.5!
Also, any concern with an XLR Atom folding chassis?
The way I read it the MB does not count. Don’t know about the stock.
Just read the forms. Gunwerks swore it was ok, but I can read English and it’s pretty clear what’s allowed and not allowed.

ljalberta

WKR
FYI, it’s been a moment since I looked into the dumb laws that govern barrel length here, and it may have changed, but it used to be that the 18.5” rule applied to semi auto rifles. The 18” rule applied to bolt action after it left the factory. As it relates to a bolt action, you could shorten a barrel down to 18”, or have even a shorter barrel as long as it came from the factory that way. Muzzle devices are excluded. Folders have rules governing minimum length as well.

You will want to double check as this may not longer be the case.

Bado20

FNG
The way I read it the MB does not count. Don’t know about the stock.
Just read the forms. Gunwerks swore it was ok, but I can read English and it’s pretty clear what’s allowed and not allowed.
I'm a canadian LEO, your 18 inch barrel is fine, the 18.5 inch barrel length limit only applies to semi-auto centerfire firearms. The 26 inch overall length is the only length restriction that applies to manual action professionally manufactured firearms. Gunwerks is right.

The "barrel is altered" line in the information sheet only applies to non-professionals cutting down a factory barrel themselves, e.g. a sawed off shotgun. If the barrel is professionally installed then the overall length is the only length restriction that applies.

Our gun laws are ridiculous but you won't have any issues with your rifle, it is non-restricted.

OP
aoudad

aoudad

FNG
I'm a canadian LEO, your 18 inch barrel is fine, the 18.5 inch barrel length limit only applies to semi-auto centerfire firearms. The 26 inch overall length is the only length restriction that applies to manual action professionally manufactured firearms. Gunwerks is right.

The "barrel is altered" line in the information sheet only applies to non-professionals cutting down a factory barrel themselves, e.g. a sawed off shotgun. If the barrel is professionally installed then the overall length is the only length restriction that applies.

Our gun laws are ridiculous but you won't have any issues with your rifle, it is non-restricted.
But it doesn’t say it only applies to semi auto.
I have my 22” bbl Proof rifle shooting great out to 600yds I should be safe with it! Thanks

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider

Thx for this!

medvedyt

WKR
there is no limit for the barrel lenght for a rifle or shotgun that is not semi-auto in Canada and not done by joe blow basement but coming from the factory like that. the OAL of 26 inches is the one counting. you can find 8.5,10, 10 and 14 inches barrel lenght for the remington 870 and the rem tac14 is over 26 and non restricted in Canada.
gunwerks is right,
im a LEO as well but not in firearms domain but never take legal advice on internet ... but it is not very hard to find and make sure you have the firearms act with you in case you re dealing with a CBSA officer that had no clue.

on the non resident form there is a phone you can use if you have question. but
i might add the RCMP is the governance agency/body enforcing the act and their actions or interpretations does not reflect all the time what the law says (firearms act) but more the interpretation with the crown of what fits them or their agenda of the moment ...

Last edited:

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, I'm not well known here, but I have had a stone sheep hunt booked for this year and also burned all my draw luck on the WY sheep super tag........ After killing my desert sheep in UT last year, I can not wait for September. My outfitter from last year hooked me up on both of my outfitters this year otherwise I wouldn't have had any clue where to start. Being from TX, I plan to drive to WY and also northern BC ( I aint leaving my sheep in BC)...... Im down over 40lbs from 2 years ago, and down 8lbs from my UT sheep hunt...... trying to get another 15lbs cut that will get me right at 200 and where I want to be. Ive been down the lightweight forum and have pretty much all the gear I need for both hunts, minus a good camera and a few small things...... I'll keep this thread going and post pics along the way. Good luck to all those that drew a tag this year!
Summer is almost here and about to get a couple new rifles broke in
Whoa! Good Luck!

OP
aoudad

aoudad

FNG
3 weeks and ill be in WY! Gonna go to Yellowstone and Gunwerks before I meet my outfitter.
Rifle is shooting great out to 600 yards and ive been putting on a lot of miles. Have all my gear just waiting on the 27th to head north!

3 weeks and ill be in WY! Gonna go to Yellowstone and Gunwerks before I meet my outfitter.
Rifle is shooting great out to 600 yards and ive been putting on a lot of miles. Have all my gear just waiting on the 27th to head north!
Go crush some sheep man! Very excited for you. Best of luck!