My 2022 Hunting Workout Program

I researched 7-8 different workout programs specific for hunting, backpacking, and backcountry skiing to come up with the attached program. Contributors I need to thanks are MtnTough, Mtn Tactical Institute, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Black Ovis, and Exo Mtn Gear. I am hunting first rifle season in Colorado, so going to start this August 1, finish on October 7, and then do some moderately-heavy pack (45-ish lbs) hiking nearby on the remaining days.

10-week program, 3 days/week
Monday: Legs (strength) & Core
Wednesday: Legs (stamina, HIIT)
Friday: Upper Body (strength) & Core

Feel free to use this if you want!

Attachments

• WB Hunting Workout_2022.pdf
    178.1 KB · Views: 104

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to give this a whirl. I've been needing to change some stuff up. I'll have to kind of make do on some things. Did the first workout this morning. I do like the stretching/mobility stuff as that is something that has been lacking in my routine. My question is, are you doing the stretches before warming up or after working out? Also, the lack of upper body work could be done on tuesday/thursday? Maybe a day of upper body and a day or pure longevity cardio?

OP
W
I do all the stretching after the workout. I’m almost 40, which I know isn’t all THAT old, but been seeing the last few years that stretching is soooo important. All the muscle mass and cardio health in the world isn’t going to help if you’re really stiff every morning and joints are achy!

I have upper body slotted on Fridays, and the legs/stamina day is every Wednesday. The Wednesday legs workout also doubles as an active recovery day for flushing out some lactic acid from Monday’s leg weights day.

I’m really looking forward to the every other Wednesday workout with a huge set of outdoor stairs nearby my house!

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 39 myself. The jumping lunges are a huge no for my knees. I'll change a few things up like I said, but I think it is a good basis. On the upper body stuff, I was talking about incorporating more specialized muscle groups that you don't isolate in the bench/pushup workout. Triceps, biceps, etc. I did the stretching before and after this morning. It takes time, but ends up feeling much better.

OP
W
I'm 39 myself. The jumping lunges are a huge no for my knees. I'll change a few things up like I said, but I think it is a good basis. On the upper body stuff, I was talking about incorporating more specialized muscle groups that you don't isolate in the bench/pushup workout. Triceps, biceps, etc. I did the stretching before and after this morning. It takes time, but ends up feeling much better.
Right on, glad someone is doing this with me! Yeah, I’m sure I’ll change some things as I go through this too. I got most of the stretches from a Nike workout with Joe Holder, and from a Mountain Tactical backcountry skiing workout. I did intentionally try to keep the upper body all compound exercises, but of course you can do what you’d like! 👍