My 2015 Alberta Moose

Manosteel

WKR
Back in late august/early september I headed out sheep hunting with a buddy. We saw sheep from a few miles away but getting stuck and mechanical issues kept them safe for now. A crazy 17+ km hike out to get back to civilization and cell reception and we limped out 22 hrs later.

My buddy was out, so I switched gears and went back out after moose solo instead. Solo moose hunting is great until the pack out! Got this guy after a few days alone while I was making a 4 mile loop in an area with lots of rolling hills. Spotted him from a mile away and closed the distance fast as it was 45 min before sunset. Sealed the deal and got to him just as sun going down and it started lightly raining/slet-snowing.

When it started snowing briefly, I got worried about the pack out, but a quick call to my brutha from another mother had him out and on his way to me in two hours and he was nice enough to bring a buddy. I quickly dressed and quatered one side of the moose. Then I packed out one front quater (with the bone in) with all my gear (110+ lbs)back to the trail head where I met my saviors. 3 hrs later we finished the job and packed out deboned meat weighting (with a little bit of gear in pack) 100+ : 125+ & 140+ lbs of meat.

Got home at 3 am and slept for 2 hours and came back out for one final load of head and cape with my 10 year old. He took the following pics on his phone

Last edited:
OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
The new kifaru duplex frame is Awesome period. I have now packed out another moose (my brothers) and my elk since this hunt which happened in early September. I routinely pack out extremely heavy loads every hunting season and this frame is it for that type of work! To put it simply this pack allows you to haul out a couple of big azz loads and go to work in the morning, yes your muscles are sore but you aren't debilitated the next day.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job ! I have an upcoming moose hunt in Northern Alberta, will be using a Stone Glacier though. Did you pack out the whole cape ? Just the head and antlers on those things are heavy !

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Nice job ! I have an upcoming moose hunt in Northern Alberta, will be using a Stone Glacier though. Did you pack out the whole cape ? Just the head and antlers on those things are heavy !

I Packed out the head and anterles, and a good portion of the hide as I have friends who work with hide and always ask me to bring some out if possible. With this moose, right off the bat I knew I would don euro mount.