Muzzy trocar for elk

Oh hunter

WKR
Just wanted some input on them usually shoot 100gr rage 2 blade for deer and
Bear but heard was guessing fixed blade might be alittle better for elk

Thanks

I killed a bull with a 100gn Trocar. Nothing wrong with them. The blade retention system is kind of a pain IMO but a good head. I shoot mechanicals as well but I'm a relatively new elk hunter and have yet to kill a bull with a mechanical. Tons of guys have though. Search around and you will find endless fixed vs mechanical debate. Nothing wrong with a good mechanical nowadays either. So many factors at play. Pros and cons to each. Listen to some good discussion on Gritty Bowmen podcast. Go with whatever you practice and have confidence in!

I killed a nice heavy 6pt bull in 2011 with a mx3 at 52 yards, he didnt go but 50 and tipped over dead on sight less than 10 seconds. DBL lung and hit the top heart veins. Trocar is similar to mx3 just a tad shorter.
I personally dont like the looks of the short stubby heads as I prefer a longer more swept back blade design as they allow for more penetration and have a higher degree of cutting surface. (overall blade length). To me, a longer swept back design has less resistance to penetration with the lower blade angle. Higher blade angles have more resistance, especially at the ribs and other bones. just my .02.

Any head will work as long as you do your part and pop the lungs low enough to allow for a good blood trail and bleed out.
Hit em high - slow to die, Hit em Low - watch it flow!

Kindo

WKR
I would be a little hesitant. I purchased 3 or 4 packs for practice and hunting for a trip last year, and ended up returning all of them after practicing with them for a week. They did fly amazingly well, but I was very disappointed in their durability. I had a few pass-through shots on my layered foam target where they dug in the ground and some blades cracked or completely shattered. It was the strangest thing as I just have heavy topsoil with no rocks etc in my yard. Their customer service was great as they had good communication and had me send in my damaged heads for complete replacement. They said they were going to look into the lot number and see if it was a metallurgy issue but I never heard back. I went back to my G5 Montecs and continue to be happy after doing some more arrow tuning for proper flight etc. I'm sure the Trocars are great for whitetails but I'd be nervous on larger, thicker game.

Twindaddy

FNG
I think that the trocar will work fine on an elk. I have not taken an elk with them, but I have seen what it does to a whitetail. The last one I hit busted through ribs and was a pass through and stuck 6 inches into ground on the other side. The deer went 40 yards and left a trail a blind guy could follow. They also fly true at long distances.

I killed a muley and a bull with trocars this year. Both complete pass throughs and quick kills. I even shot at several grouse on the ground and hit rocks with minimal damage to the blades. Not as tough as the montecs bug a good broad head with a larger cut.