Muzzleloader shot but barely

Jld475

FNG
I am brand new to muzzleloading and have a brand new CVA Wolf V2 .50 caliber muzzleloader. I am shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, Hornady Great Plains 385 grain bullets, and Winchester 777 209 primers.

I shot 6 times yesterday and cleaned thoroughly between each shot. 2 shots were a delayed fire, and during 2 shots the bullet barely made it out of the barrel. In fact, 1 didn’t make it to the target 13 yards away and the other bounced off. I also noticed a weird flash during the bad shots and the barrel was incredibly dirty after each shot. There seemed to be a lot of unburned powder left in the barrel.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Westhunt

FNG
Make sure you are pushing the bullet down all the way, don't be afraid to pack it down tight. You could also have a loose breech plug and the gases are escaping there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

houser52

FNG
I am brand new to muzzleloading and have a brand new CVA Wolf V2 .50 caliber muzzleloader. I am shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, Hornady Great Plains 385 grain bullets, and Winchester 777 209 primers.

I shot 6 times yesterday and cleaned thoroughly between each shot. 2 shots were a delayed fire, and during 2 shots the bullet barely made it out of the barrel. In fact, 1 didn’t make it to the target 13 yards away and the other bounced off. I also noticed a weird flash during the bad shots and the barrel was incredibly dirty after each shot. There seemed to be a lot of unburned powder left in the barrel.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.
I also shot a new Wolf 50 cal. yesterday. I was using 100 gr of loose Triple 7 powder, Winchester 209 primers, 240 gr. XTP and crush rib sabots.
I swabbed the bore, wet patch- dry patch, after each shot.
During shooting I didn’t have any problem at all with firing and velocity was very consistent with an average of 6 shots at 1785 fps.

As was mentioned earlier, your problem could be your powder.

TaperPin

WKR
Mark your ram rod so there’s no doubt when things are all the way in and when it needs extra help. Try fresh propellant and/or caps/primers. Check the hole for obstructions, especially after a weird shot.

I'm a very novice muzzleloader but my process has been to pull a bore snake through between shots. Cleans well enough and stays dry.

Wrench

WKR
My wolf will shoot 8x without cleaning using 80gr 777 3f and a 495gr bullet. A lubed wad is the secret sauce.

You can shoot those 385's with loose powder and a musket cap and NEVER have a problem. I see more issues with pellets than loose by a long way.

Eleven

FNG
Yep, there is a problem. Clearly you aren’t getting full ignition of the powder. If you were and it were a breach issue you would have been hit with gases. So, its either the power is no good for some reason or the primers are no good for some reason. I’d look at the powder first since you are getting some ignition.

CorbLand

WKR
Check the flash hole in your breach plug to make sure it is clean and clear of obstructions.

Try a different powder.

OP
J

Jld475

FNG
Y’all are great! I appreciate everyone’s help. I shot about 6 times today and had no issues. The only thing I did differently was pack the bullet in a little harder. I noticed that if I pushed a little harder after it stopped initially, it actually packed down a tad more.

I cleaned between each shot. 2 swabs with a wet patch and 2 with a dry patch. I plan to switch to loose powder soon.

CorbLand

WKR
Y’all are great! I appreciate everyone’s help. I shot about 6 times today and had no issues. The only thing I did differently was pack the bullet in a little harder. I noticed that if I pushed a little harder after it stopped initially, it actually packed down a tad more.

I cleaned between each shot. 2 swabs with a wet patch and 2 with a dry patch. I plan to switch to loose powder soon.
That will do it. Like someone suggested, mark your rod to where it should be. Makes it way easier to ensure that you are doing things the same way each time.

You may be crushing the pellets if you are seating the bullet too firmly now. And that can cause erratic velocities.

I’d ditch the Pyrodex pellets like others have said. The 1990s called - they want their powder back….