Muzzleloader New + Thor Bullets

huntsd

WKR
I will be buying a muzzleloader this year for the 2023 season. Never owned or shot one before. I live in the great state of CA where we have to run lead free. Looks like Thor is my only option? I plan on hunting CA and CO with the gun (maybe NV if lucky) for deer. So that means open sight only.

I only want to develop 1 load for the gun which has to be lead free (not an out of state lead load as well). Looks like Thor only makes 50 cal bullets? SO I guess I will go with a 50 cal muzzle loader. if I am wrong I would prefer to run .45. I am leaning towards the CVA accura mr-x.

Does anyone have a receipt for the CVA accura with thor bullets?

Any other suggestions? thanks!

Bluehawk

FNG
+1 on the Barnes. I shoot 250 gr TMZ. Very accurate and I've dropped two dear in their tracks with one shot. Haven't shot an elk yet.

If you want to only develop one load and plan to hunt CO you’d have to go with a full-bore bullet (no sabots in CO).

Thors are great, but, yes, at the moment only offered in .50. Another non-lead option is the Federal Copper BOR Lock if you can find any.

wgrkman

FNG
Just FYI, in Colorado 50 cal is required for elk. I know the OP says deer but just figured it could sway your choice

thors work well in my cva. I don't recall if there is an ignition restriction in colorado, but either T7 + a musket cap or blackhorn + 209 primer should work well depending on what's required.

50 cal is by far the most prevalent and most supported muzzleloader caliber, for long-term support it's your best bet by far.

powerbelts are typically considered a conical, and are commonly used in colorado. That said, I personally do not like powerbelts.

triglet40

FNG
cva optima with 290 grain barnes bullets is very accurate combination. using 2 white hot pellets.

taskswap

WKR
I haven't hunted the season yet, but I shoot muzzleloader here in CO for fun (and I shoot hunt-legal setups just in case I ever want to.) I have a 50 cal CVA Accura V2 that I'm really happy with. (An extra breech plug is a definite plus to have at the range BTW.)

I've shot basically every bullet made, searching for the best option. I will say PowerBelts are VERY easy to load compared to other options, although I don't get nearly the accuracy from them as other options. But I can see why folks love them.

I had a hard time loving the Thor bullets. I got their Sizing Pack as recommended and can't remember what colors I landed on but I think it was 0.500 being way too lose and .501 being frustrating to load. Maybe it was because my rifle is fairly new and the Thor bullets are harder than a traditional lead bullet? I'm not sure. I did have good luck with Hornady BoreDriver but that's just clad, it wouldn't work for you.

What I would definitely recommend is trying a number of different bullet options. If a normal rifle "prefers" some ammo over others, my experience has been muzzleloaders are like that but times 10.

If you can find them, give Federal B.O.R Lok's a go. I've read a ton of negative reviews on them but my experience was pretty good, and they're available lead-free. YMMV...

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been finding the BOR Loks at Walmart recently. I also have a gun between Thor sizes. .499 is definitely too small but .500 can be a real bear. Apparently my gun is .4995? If I coat the .500 in bore butter it helps a bit. They shoot great once I get it loaded. CVA optima V2

I’ve been finding the BOR Loks at Walmart recently. I also have a gun between Thor sizes. .499 is definitely too small but .500 can be a real bear. Apparently my gun is .4995? If I coat the .500 in bore butter it helps a bit. They shoot great once I get it loaded. CVA optima V2

Fury makes a .4995 bullet specifically for CVA, see the link above. Then you can find a CA legal bullet and load. Just keep a notebook for your load development.
I, personally, run two guns. One specifically for Idaho and one for everywhere else. I just keep my load data on the reloading bench and make up my hunting loads before I head out.

I have an Mrx in .50 cal. I shoot sub moa, with a 10fps SD using:

250gr. THOR hammer
80gr. (meticulously weighed) Pyrodex Select RD
CCI 209M primer

I'm currently testing Bh209 loads now but haven't found anything as good as above... yet