Muzzleloader Hunting Rule Evolution

RunNGunSC

FNG
I’m in the market for a great hunting muzzleloader, but am worried the hunting rules will just keep evolving. Take NM for example. They require open sights and prohibit smokeless powder for all hunts, but for deer they also prohibit inline ignition. I was looking at a paramount pro, but at that price I really need to be able to use it in multiple states for many years. Does everyone think the rules will keep changing?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It sure seems like any changes to restrictions these days get lesser rather than tighter, so as long as you meet the current regs you'll probably be fine.

huntsd

WKR
I’m in the market for a great hunting muzzleloader, but am worried the hunting rules will just keep evolving. Take NM for example. They require open sights and prohibit smokeless powder for all hunts, but for deer they also prohibit inline ignition. I was looking at a paramount pro, but at that price I really need to be able to use it in multiple states for many years. Does everyone think the rules will keep changing?
I am not sure if this applies to all deer hunts or just restricted? Anyone have insight

OP
R

RunNGunSC

FNG
Thanks for the clarification, do any of you think further restrictions are likely in the next few years? my main goal is to open up other hunting opportunities.

Game and fish agencies have come to the realization that advances in technology are having impacts on the herds…

Only took them a few dozen years.

Seems like more of the Western states are finally addressing the accelerated technological advances with modern day in-lines. NM banned scopes and most likely Utah will follow next year. That'll significantly neutralize some of the long range effectiveness of the Paramount and similar. Seriously consider which states you will be muzzy hunting before you dropping $1,500 on a LR boomstick without high mag optics.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
Why not buy a side lock, or even a flint lock ? Get a caliber that is big enough to be legal for any state, 50 cal I believe is excepted in every state. I really don't see the attraction of scoping a " muzzle loader". We are getting so far away from what a muzzle loader ( was). Kinda like boys wanting to be girls and demanding the rest of us " obey". No, that's not what was intended. And they really are a blast to shoot and hunt with, I have a knight I bought also ( to see what this inline stuff is about) and it's not the same, not even close. If you know what I mean. Kinda like boys and girls.

I think you're confused. You can use inline ignition with all the hunts except restricted muzzleloader. I happen to have a restricted tag for the second time, partly why I'm up to date

Attachments

• IMG_2950.png
    IMG_2950.png
    624.1 KB · Views: 8

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzleloader, bow or crossbow only: Any sporting arm in which the charge and projectile(s) are loaded through the muzzle. Only blackpowder, Pyrodex or equivalent blackpowder substitute may be used. Use of smokeless powder is prohibited. Only iron sights are allowed on muzzle-loading rifles when used during a muzzleloader hunt. Scopes, red dots and all other optical sights are prohibited. Hunters may also use any bow or crossbow. Arrows and bolts must have broadheads (fixed or mechanical) with cutting edges. Sights on bows and crossbows may not project light. No drugs may be used on arrows or bolts, and they cannot be driven by explosives, gunpowder or compressed air.