Muzzle Break and Thor issues

Had a couple of issues this week. I can shoot 25 and 50 yards in my yard. Nice groups with both Thor (0.501) and ELDX's with both Blackhorn 209 and Triple 7 with my Accura MRX 50 open sights. Used up about 3/4 of one of my bottle of Blackhorn getting everything set.

Went to the range and the Thor's shot awful at 100 yards with both 100 and 120 grains/v of Blackhorn. The ELDX's shot erratically. Used up the rest of my bottle and into the last bottle of Blackhorn I have.

Thoroughly cleaned the gun. Set up at 25 and 50 yards. Switched to Triple 7 as I only have about 1/2 bottle of Blackhorn left, ugggg.

Per ElDiablilto I was hoping to use Thors for my elk hunt. So with the clean gun went to load a Thor and it wouldn't go in 1/2 inch had to hammer it out. Next one shot fine, then another one got stuck. This is the 4th or 5th one from the last 2 packages. Gave up on them. Do not have a sizing jig.

Went to the ELDX's. I have a Muzzle Loaders muzzle break and took 3 shots which were okay at 25 yards then decided to take off the break. Groups tightened up. These are pics of the plastic base with muzzle break on and off. Hmmm looks like the break is causing issues. Send the pics and had a good discussion with Coulton at Muzzle Loader, they have never seen this. So shot at 25 and 50 yards without the break and groups were very consistent.

Now back to the range to see if my 100 yard groups are okay with the ELDx's.

Picture2.jpgELDX.jpg

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 12
Certainly looks like the brake may be a problem. Is that a radial or tactical?

You sure there isn’t something else going on in the system? There shouldn’t be any reason that the bullets are shooting great at 25 and terrible at 100. Sounds like you’re not using a scope for load dev? Could it be that it’s the open sights (and your eyes) that are the issue at 100?

As for the Thors being tight. I have occasionally noticed slight inconsistency in their sizing. A thousandth or two can make a mono very tough or impossible to load. This can also really make a difference with just a little fouling in the bore.

OP
T
Tactical brake, like on my rifles. No scope just my old eyes and open sights. I was super surprised as we left work at lunch figuring it would be a short verify that 100 yards was minute of elk., so we started off at 100 yards. Bad assumption! I'm using the williams sight and really like it. I was surprised how nice it looked at 100 yards, 200 is another story. I actually feel pretty good about the range day. My buddy was shooting an Optima and the Federal FDX's with a scope and I was getting better groups...lol. I do shoot alot more than he does.

The Muzzle Loaders.Com guys said the brake was over bored and they have not seen any interference. I think the plastic base is catching on the brake. The MZ guys think it might be the heat, but they use BH209? Not sure what is going on with the Thor. Maybe the 0.501 is a bit 2 tight????? The sizing pack 0.501 was perfect. Most of the packs I've used were a bit tighter than the sizing pack.

The first pack of Thor's I shot were very good at 25 and 50. The second and third pack had the tight ones. Both the ELDX's and Thor at 25 same hole, then 50 opened up to 1 to 2 inch then the ELDX's were about 4 or 5 inches at 100 yards. The Thor were 5 to 6 inches at 100 yards. They both seemed like they were key holing at 100 yards, not a nice clean hole. When I took off the break the ELDX's at 25 were same hole, the 50 yard were 1/2 inch. Tried the Thor but it got stuck and I gave up on them!

I'm bummed on the Thor's. With the BH209 no issues with a dirty barrel. With the Triple 7 I can shoot 3 shots before it gets hard to load the ELDX's. I shot 2 with the Thor's that fit and the 2nd one was pretty snug but seated okay. Then I gave it a quick clean.

I have plenty of Triple 7, so as long as I get some time for the range I'm going to re-sight in with no break. Good thing the bullets are alot cheaper than my 300 win mag to shoot!!!!!!! That is if I'm not using BH209.

ENCORE

WKR
You shouldn't be using sabots or skirts while using a tactical brake. A radial is fine, but not a tactical brake.
If you're bullets are keyholing, increase the charge. They're most likely not obturating sufficiently.

OP
T
Thanks, I'll try increasing the load from 100 to 120 g/v and see what happens.

Per all the info this brake was not suppose to catch the ELDX base. But from the ones I've found they sure look like they are! I'm dropping the brake.

I’ve had good luck with 300 grain Thors in my Mr-x with the anarchy outdoors brake and Blackhorn 209

ENCORE

WKR
Thanks, I'll try increasing the load from 100 to 120 g/v and see what happens.

Per all the info this brake was not suppose to catch the ELDX base. But from the ones I've found they sure look like they are! I'm dropping the brake.
You might want to try bullet to bore using Fury bullets. Most all the RUM and UF owners shoot the 320gr with excellent results with accuracy and on game. Brakes won't affect bullet to bore and you can continue to reap the benefits of your brake.

ENCORE

WKR
Fury's are copper jacket over lead. Excellent bullets. I've harvested a number of whitetail with them and they've all been DRT.

The Universal Fit 320gr bullet is what most of the guys with the 50 cal RUM and UF rifles use.
I've tested many of the Furys for Dennis, many of which never became available to the public.

Thanks I'll look at them. How do they compare to the Thor?
As far as terminal performance, the Furys (although I like them) are a different world from a controlled expansion mono like a Thor. The Furies are a soft expansive cup and core bullet.