Mushy venison problem?

Pdzoller

WKR
I just made deer kabobs on my grill. Venison marinated in teriyaki and soy sauce and was cooked to medium rare. It looked excellent. Problem is that it was mush. The consistency was like a baked potato or liver.
We have eaten several packages of steaks and backstrap from the same deer with no issues.

The buck hung for three days whole, under cover at around 38 degrees. He did have some signs of recently losing a fight but overall he looked to be in good health.

Does anyone have some insight as to what causes this?

Swamp Fox

WKR
Depends on the marinade time but more how you froze and thawed it.

Best answer. (Not AI)

OP
Pdzoller

Pdzoller

WKR
Marinated for 30 minutes. I’ve marinated many different kinds of meat the same way with the same ingredients and never had anything close to the same texture. Pulled the meat from the freezer the night before.

ORHunter

WKR
I've had the same experience grilling kabobs for some reason. I thought perhaps it was the way it's cooking smashed up against the vegetables or something.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert at this but over the years have found rare meat to be mushy. Cooked a little more and it tends to firm up. Finding that "just right" cooking level can be a trick. My only visual observation has been to note when the juices coming out of the meat are pinkish. At that point it isn't rare but not over cooked.

I quit on rare meat after I took a parasitology class.

Marshfly

WKR
I'm not an expert at this but over the years have found rare meat to be mushy. Cooked a little more and it tends to firm up. Finding that "just right" cooking level can be a trick. My only visual observation has been to note when the juices coming out of the meat are pinkish. At that point it isn't rare but not over cooked.

I quit on rare meat after I took a parasitology class.
I find this with some back straps also. The line between too rare and overcooked is slim.

I first noticed this when I accidentally cooked a roast that didn’t have enough time to thaw all the way through. The heat takes a while to get the center warmed up but then cooks really fast after about 60°. It was just a weird consistency throughout and the center was that crumbly texture you’re talking about. Kebabs are a little different but I’d imagine if they were really cold and insulated by some tightly packed veggies it could do the same.

Now I let everything thaw for way longer and sit out for at least an hour before throwing on the grill.

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend a reverse sear to anyone having these challenges. I put my steaks or whatever I am making in my convection oven at 275 for anywhere from 20-35 minutes depending on thickness, then hit it in the pan for a sear. It is perfect nearly every time. I don't even mess with my grill anymore and sous vide is more trouble for maybe the same result some times..I would put money that this method cooks a good kabob too

Attachments

• 20240502_183556.jpg
    20240502_183556.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240514_193228.jpg
    20240514_193228.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 9