Multi tools holy crap so many how do you pick?

I carry the skeletool or freestyle from leatherman. The skeletool is nice with the clip I clip trough a loop on my pack somewhere so its handy when i need it. But the free style is just as handy and half the costs. Both have the tools I use the more in the field (pliers and solid knife) and none of the stuff I don't. Just a good compromise for me. The freestyle can be had for $25 or less and pretty good bargain IMO.

I used the gerber ones years ago and broke a couple of them. I found a leatherman skeletool cx out deer hunting last year and been using it. I really like it and would recommend it.

Between skiing, hunting, snowmobiling and climbing my Leatherman Wave seems to be one of the few items that's always in my pack regardless of what I'm doing. It's not light by any measure but still quite handy

The Made in the USA Gerber multitools are the only way to go. I've been rocking a MP600 for almost a decade without anything breaking. That being said, the Leatherman plier jaw feels beefier than my Gerber.

i have two leatherman tools. one is clearly stamped "portland OR" the other is silent in origin.

both tools.the knives get super sharp. really really sharp. but the older portland tool is heftier. i put the unmarked one in my truck.

my MIL just gave me an old swiss army knife..now that blade takes a super keen edge as well. scary sharp!!

There is a good test and side-by-side comparisson on outdoorgearlab.com

I've had a Leatherman WAVE for almost 15 years now and it is really nice, but I find that it has more tools than I need for hunting. So I've been looking at some more limited tools to save on weight but haven't decided yet.

I have had several gerbers. They treated me well. The last one I bought has a crappy Philips head that is not really a Philips head. I would check that tool before I bought another gerber.

The one Gerber I had I broke tip off of one side of the needle nose pliers. Basically got told "tough luck"

I broke a blade on a Leatherman prying apart some boulders (long story) and was simply told to send it in and had a new one back in a couple weeks.

I know which route I'll go in the future.

Leatherman is the standard. All others are just trying to get ahead of the original...a Swiss Army knife has nostalgia but lacks the needle nosed pliers that have helped horses to packs to humans regularly on my trails...

I wish Leathermen made the skeleton design that also had a saw, its the only thing keeping me from swapping out my wave to save a few ounces.

Hey gotta tell you guys a short experience. In South Africa where I work there are plentiful thorn trees. Some are almost predatory.

I wear Gordens boots, they are made in South Africa for the bush. They have actual recycled tire tread for the soles kinda odd, but they protect your feet from the thorns really well. Even though I get punctures frequently in the truck tires.

Anyway, I was sneaking in on a white rhino with a client doing a green dart hunt when I had a big acacia thorn spear straight into the ball of my foot through the sole of these Gordens thorn proof boots! There is no shortage of tender painful regions on a human body. However the ball of your foot being punctured is just slightly less the a poke in the eye and a cracked tooth.

The thorn was flush with the sole or deeper, and embedded into my foot. I was pinned into my boot. It was not coming off and I was not going to walk on it. So I had my client use my leatherman pliers which I carry with me to grab the base of the thorn and pull it out. It took a bit of digging as it was broken off flush with the sole.

That multi tool really saved or at a minimum allowed this hunt to carry on to be successful. It was still quite difficult to go forth, but would have been brutal to continue with that 3" thorn through the ball of my foot!

I like the multi tools for some peculiar reason now.

Hey gotta tell you guys a short experience. In South Africa where I work there are plentiful thorn trees. Some are almost predatory.

I wear Gordens boots, they are made in South Africa for the bush. They have actual recycled tire tread for the soles kinda odd, but they protect your feet from the thorns really well. Even though I get punctures frequently in the truck tires.

Anyway, I was sneaking in on a white rhino with a client doing a green dart hunt when I had a big acacia thorn spear straight into the ball of my foot through the sole of these Gordens thorn proof boots! There is no shortage of tender painful regions on a human body. However the ball of your foot being punctured is just slightly less the a poke in the eye and a cracked tooth.

The thorn was flush with the sole or deeper, and embedded into my foot. I was pinned into my boot. It was not coming off and I was not going to walk on it. So I had my client use my leatherman pliers which I carry with me to grab the base of the thorn and pull it out. It took a bit of digging as it was broken off flush with the sole.

That multi tool really saved or at a minimum allowed this hunt to carry on to be successful. It was still quite difficult to go forth, but would have been brutal to continue with that 3" thorn through the ball of my foot!

I like the multi tools for some peculiar reason now.

Awesome! I believe that is the first ever "while I was out stalking a white rhino" story I've ever heard.

Back