Muley Broadhead Choice

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I was unable to find much about broadheads for Mule deer with a search. The last thread found was from 2012. Surely things have changed since then. What is your choice for chasing mule deer. I am using Iron Wills for elk but thought maybe a mechanical head might be good for a bigger cutting surface but maybe I am wrong. Never used any mechanical head in the past. Seems like there is a thread every week in the elk forum regarding broadheads so hopefully I didn't miss something.

I have my setup dialed to shoot Iron Will heads with my field points out to at least 70 and will be using a 100g head.

Trial153

WKR
The last two mulendeer I killed were with a slick trick mag and Soild.
This year in will use either a Oz cut ultra 4 or a raptor trick depending on how windy the day is.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Used Rage hypodermic on a mule deer in Colorado (doe) and had zero issue (she wasn't much bigger if any than the whitetail I hunt in eastern KS/Missouri). I hunt western KS for muleys and will use Rage if I bowhunt for them this year. I don't think there's a big enough difference in biological makeup to justify fixed blades only. People still shoot elk with mechanicals fwiw. I like that the rage very much shoots like field points. People have had issues with them, sure, and maybe there's a better mechanical broadhead out there but to answer your question I don't think it matters. If you like fixed blade and that's what you have, shoot them. But I guarantee you a mechanical is way cheaper than your iron wills!

mbrady3

FNG
Thanks for the input guys, 1st time muley hunter here wondering the same thing. I use Rage's on the whitetails in WI, but didn't know with body size and possible shot distance being longer if they will still be effective

Jasper17

FNG
I use Grim Reaper mechanical broad heads for javelina. elk and deer and have been really happy with them and the performance. They fly like field points for me out to 70 yds. All of the packages I have purchased come with a practice one that looks the same as the real one but doesn't open up. Good luck

jmav58

WKR
Shot my muley 2 years ago at 59 with a Rage +P and got a pass through. 70# Elite Impulse with a 515 grain arrow. SEVR seems like a good option for mechanical broadheads

JohnnyB

WKR
I bought a ten pack of Slick Tricks (standard size 100 gn) and had great success in getting them to fly with my field points and also taking a great mule deer buck. I wish they would have the ten pack on sale for 39.99 again!

Rich M

WKR
Why not stick with what you already have and know works? No reason to switch if your iron wills work out to 70 yards, just use those.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer fixed blade heads, I used the muzzy trocars a few years ago and the ferrule's kept breaking. I switched to the Trophy taker shuttle t locks and they are solid, haven't had any issues so far

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I carry both fixed and mechanical for various shots. Fixed are QAD Exodus 125s, and mechanical choice historically has been discontinued Rocket Steelheads 125s. Might be trying out a Grim Reaper or Sevr for a wide cut/windy day head.

Ryno478

FNG
I’ve had good experience with the fixed blade Muzzy’s. They do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Why not stick with what you already have and know works? No reason to switch if your iron wills work out to 70 yards, just use those.

The only reason i thought about changing was to get a wider cut and hopefully a quicker kill/better blood. Since I am not as concerned with penetration as I am with elk I was considering a bigger broadhead.

Thanks for the replies everyone.