Mule Deer Tactics

RRJ

FNG
I will be applying for an X zone in extreme Northern California for 2020. So far from my research and what I remember from driving through the area it is more open country than I have been hunting. I am told there are some better quality deer in the “sage flats”. Looking for suggestions on hunting this type of terrain. Hopefully some glassing. I have really only hunted thick timber and granite in the national forest near my home.

amassi

WKR
Same shyt, same shovel.
- find relatively roadless area
- find some food, water, shelter
- gain elevation and glass for deer
- stay away from areas with sheep, campgrounds and cattle.
The bucks in the x zones will be tight to cover during rifle season. They also aren't in their summer range any longer so scouting wont help much. In other words, pre season scouting is best used finding areas deer will be in October not where they are in august.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

shane102

FNG
Not familiar with that area to give specifics. But generally speaking mule deer migrate. They move in out of elevations during different times of year. Generally the high elevations will not hold lots of deer but the mature bucks will be at those higher elevations (above timberline or on the edge). learn the ins and outs of the high country. Also you said there are quality deer in the sage flats. If so then scout out the high points for glassing the flats. Low land desert type bucks can get huge. good luck

OP
R

RRJ

FNG
Thank you for the info. Anything helps. I will be fishing Central Oregon for a week in the spring so I plan to spend a day or two on the way home checking access. Already marking vantage points on my map to check out.

amassi

WKR
Thank you for the info. Anything helps. I will be fishing Central Oregon for a week in the spring so I plan to spend a day or two on the way home checking access. Already marking vantage points on my map to check out.
After you draw If you need any help drop me a pm. Only northern x zone I'm not familiar with is x4

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

shane102

FNG
RRJ, you plan on fishing lakes or streams boat or no boat. What area do u want to fish and what type of fish. I am very familiar with central oregon lakes.

OP
R

RRJ

FNG
A group of 4 of us fish Crescent, Paulina, and East Lakes every spring for about 10 years now. Boats for sure.

I would second what amassi said. Depending on which "extreme northern X zone" it is there are good deer in most of those units which are usually a combination of migratory and resident deer. Mature bucks up there will be 2-300lbs with about 26"ears. Be able to shoot far (at least 400yds) and use tripoded glass a lot. I wouldn't discount scouting in the summer, some of the resident bucks will not move far from their summer ground to pre-rut areas around October. If nothing else it is good to familiarize yourself with the best roads, vantage points and water sources so you are not wasting time during the season. Game cams on water sources that are being used can also help to cover ground and find deer that may otherwise go un-detected. Do not go into any of the X-zone hunts expecting to kill a 170" deer off the side of the road just because it took 5-10+ years worth of points to get, it may happen but more than likely It will be a tough hunt... so scout hard, hunt hard, and have fun.

Ryguy

FNG
Last year I helped a buddy with his tag and we hunted at almost 11k ft. Saw a bachelor group of about 10 bucks with a couple studs. Day before opening day. Could relocate that group opening morning. Buddy went back 2 weeks later (11k ft) and killed a nice 4x3. They’ll stick around and hide in any kind of cover. Get up high and glass with a tripod. He able to shoot 500 yards bc cover is so spaced out it’s hard to close the distance. If you want “any” deer the sage flats have lots of young forks and those are the deer pounded opening weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

RRJ

FNG
Wasn’t trying to hide which zone I’m applying for just wanted to keep it about general tactics for that area. X2 is where I plan to hunt. I have 9 points and this year works out for me. Thanks again.