Mule deer September hunt

Css1113

FNG
Drew a tag for nm Early Archery mule deer, looking for tips and suggestions! First archery hunt and I’m excited just want to be pointed in the right direction

Last edited by a moderator:

wnelson14

WKR
Probably should start by looking at the site rules.
Welcome aboard.

Drew a tag for nm Early Archery mule deer, looking for tips and suggestions! First archery hunt and I’m excited just want to be pointed in the right direction

I don't hunt archery, but I do muzzleload hunt, and can offer this:

1) Scout 2-3x longer than you expect to hunt - and get out there now, while they're much easier to find in their reddish coats. Unless they have a big migration, in August and September they'll usually be pretty close to where you found them earlier in the summer, depending on unit.
2) E-scout like crazy to find likely food plots and glassing sites.
3) When you're on the ground scouting, it would probably be a good idea for you to get some stalks in on any bucks you can find. Set yourself goals for distance and the number of times you can do it during pre-season scouting. Experience is that thing you get right after you actually need it, so get as much of it as you can before you can actually shoot.

Is it that you've never done an archery hunt, or are you new to mule deer in general?

OP
C

Css1113

FNG
I have

1) Scout 2-3x longer than you expect to hunt - and get out there now, while they're much easier to find in their reddish coats. Unless they have a big migration, in August and September they'll usually be pretty close to where you found them earlier in the summer, depending on unit.
3) When you're on the ground scouting, it would probably be a good idea for you to get some stalks in on any bucks you can find. Set yourself goals for distance and the number of times you can do it during pre-season scouting. Experience is that thing you get right after you actually need it, so get as much of it as you can before you can actually shoot.

Is it that you've never done an archery hunt, or are you new to mule deer in

Is it that you've never done an archery hunt, or are you new to mule deer in general?
This will be my first time for both! I’ve hunted mostly elk.

There's a ton of good info in the Mule Deer forum here, and you're not the first to need some orientation on Muleys. Lots of guys here are happy to share what they know, and the more specific your questions are, the better the answers tend to be.

Here are a couple of places I'd recommend you start:

Info needed! Help me learn (several links to other, additional threads in this one)

And a more recent one: How far does stealth REALLY matter?

Congrats on your tag, and good luck!

Dex818

FNG
E scout like crazy and if you can get out go scout the area. My wife now calls me a map nerd due to my onx addiction. I always have a back up plan for the back up plan and so on due to way point loaded maps. Good luck on your hunt and have fun.

I have

This will be my first time for both! I’ve hunted mostly elk.
Patience is your friend. If they aren’t bedded in a killable spot don’t waste your energy. Keep an eye on them and wait for a stock with a possible outcome. It took us a lot to not just run at every buck you see as you would a bull. Blowing every deer you see out only means you have to go elsewhere to find more deer.

BBob

WKR
High altitude above timberline. Don't try to go stalk them when they first bed early am. Wait until the sun comes around mid morning to see if the buck gets exposed to the sun. If so he'll likely pick up and move to shade. Wait till he finds that spot that's sheltered for the rest of the day and then make your move.

OP
C

Css1113

FNG
High altitude above timberline. Don't try to go stalk them when they first bed early am. Wait until the sun comes around mid morning to see if the buck gets exposed to the sun. If so he'll likely pick up and move to shade. Wait till he finds that spot that's sheltered for the rest of the day and then make your move.
Awesome! Thank you

‘Ike’

FNG
Early Sept, depending where you are they may or may not be in Velvet…Once they go Hard Horn they can become a lil more unpredictable. That and they may drop off into a lil heavier cover…Come on Wyoming!!! 😁🏹

Great info right here!!!