Mule deer reading

TX_Diver

WKR
Amazon has copies of Valerius Geist's mule deer country for as low as like $6 shipped if you don't mind used. I haven't made it very far into that one yet but at that price it seemed like I may as well add it to the list.

OP
mikeafeagin22

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I finished @robby denning book about 2 weeks ago and really liked it. Working on Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" right now also and have Geist's book at home on the shelf to flip through too.

Robby's book was a great all encompassing book about different strategies, etc. Dwight's book has some really in depth chapters on planning a stalk, how he moves, etc. Neither has answered every single question I have about deer hunting, but it'd probably take a few volumes to cover all that stuff!

I also ordered a copy of "The Edge" but it's been slow to ship. I ordered from themuledeerhunter.com about 1 week ago and the order just changed to "processing" today. We'll see if the book shows up. It was significantly cheaper than everywhere else though so fingers crossed.

Following this thread for more suggestions.
I ordered my copy of The Edge off their website as well. Took a little bit but I got it. Damn good book!

CorbLand

WKR
I finished @robby denning book about 2 weeks ago and really liked it. Working on Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" right now also and have Geist's book at home on the shelf to flip through too.

Robby's book was a great all encompassing book about different strategies, etc. Dwight's book has some really in depth chapters on planning a stalk, how he moves, etc. Neither has answered every single question I have about deer hunting, but it'd probably take a few volumes to cover all that stuff!

I also ordered a copy of "The Edge" but it's been slow to ship. I ordered from themuledeerhunter.com about 1 week ago and the order just changed to "processing" today. We'll see if the book shows up. It was significantly cheaper than everywhere else though so fingers crossed.

If you can cancel that order for "The Edge" I have one that I would lend out.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Hey thanks for buying the book and posting.

Let us all know what you think about David/Mike’s “The Edge” I thought it was great:

Outwest

WKR
2nd vote for this. Some of his personal philosophies get a little out there once in a while but the vast majority of the book it’s great info for finding and hunting big bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another vote for blood in the tracks and I agree with some far out there stuff but overall a great read. I know you wanted a hard copy but I picked it up on the kindle app for around $10 if I remember.

TaperPin

WKR
When I started chasing mule deer, I was recommended “hunting open country mule deer” by Dwight Schuh. It remains one of my favorite mule deer books. I walk away with borderline irresponsible confidence after reading this book 😂
That’s a classic! 🙂

TaperPin

WKR
I’m having a hard timing remembering the book, or magazine series, or video, but a couple of decades ago it was an eye opener to read about different deer personalities. Just like people, or dogs, or cats, there are generalizations about what quirks allow some deer to survive into old age while others don’t. If I can remember it, it’s worth rereading.