Mule Deer Meat Flavor

I have converted many people who say they don't like venison. I agree aging has it's place, It is a proven technique and does break down the fibers, so on older animals, it will definitely increase tenderness, but I have cut deer after 1 day clear up to 2 weeks. All have been excellent! I always leave the quarters as complete as possible and still allow for good cooling. I'll sacrifice the weight of carrying bones out too if I'm able to, just to make the cutting process easier and cleaner. I end up with a lot more % of trim when I find the need to bone a deer out, while in the field. I still consider aging secondary to cleaning and processing techniques. I've been told I'm too picky, but think the time and energy spent is well worth it. I always skin a thin layer of meat off of all exposed areas when I start cutting meat, basically re-skinning it (This is one of the most important parts IMO). I then separate all muscles groups and remove all connecting tissue, bone and fat. When I am done I have only clean, lean meat, ready for steak or burger. With out exception, I have never had anyone, not like the game meat I've prepared. In fact most people request it when they are over. I think cleanliness and proper cutting to be the biggest factor in good game meat. I've had the opportunity to tag a couple whitetail over the years and personally don't think they are any better than mule deer. Obviously an animals diet can and will affect the quality and flavor of the meat, but have killed deer from desert to timber, August to December and all have been great table fare, as long as they are handled correctly from the field to freezer.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have converted many people who say they don't like venison. I agree aging has it's place, It is a proven technique and does break down the fibers, so on older animals, it will definitely increase tenderness, but I have cut deer after 1 day clear up to 2 weeks. All have been excellent! I always leave the quarters as complete as possible and still allow for good cooling. I'll sacrifice the weight of carrying bones out too if I'm able to, just to make the cutting process easier and cleaner. I end up with a lot more % of trim when I find the need to bone a deer out, while in the field. I still consider aging secondary to cleaning and processing techniques. I've been told I'm too picky, but think the time and energy spent is well worth it. I always skin a thin layer of meat off of all exposed areas when I start cutting meat, basically re-skinning it (This is one of the most important parts IMO). I then separate all muscles groups and remove all connecting tissue, bone and fat. When I am done I have only clean, lean meat, ready for steak or burger. With out exception, I have never had anyone, not like the game meat I've prepared. In fact most people request it when they are over. I think cleanliness and proper cutting to be the biggest factor in good game meat. I've had the opportunity to tag a couple whitetail over the years and personally don't think they are any better than mule deer. Obviously an animals diet can and will affect the quality and flavor of the meat, but have killed deer from desert to timber, August to December and all have been great table fare, as long as they are handled correctly from the field to freezer.

This echos my experiences closely (esp. the deliberate/picky cutting). Usually there is still a membrane over the quarters so I peel/cut that off which limits how much meat I need to "skin" off but yeah at the cut surfaces where the quarters were removed I slice off a layer.

Mike7

WKR
From my limited personal experience, whitetails don't taste better than mule deer. My friend hung a whitetail (not sure if cool enough like Robby mentions) and it tasted too gamey for me. I agree with Pods8 and Gohunting from the few of each species that I have eaten of my own or friends. Mule deer butchered as mentioned above and as soon as I got home from the nearby field (from boned out meat with the gutless method) have not been gamey at all (I made burger out of most of them, so they may have not been very tender without hanging though?).

When I was in the military, I met some Hawaian locals out pig hunting. They do all of their meat processing of wild game (pigs, goats, etc.) (I don't think commercial meat processors can take wild game there?). Anyway they did something like Dotman mentions...at least a couple of days with the entire gutted & skinned animal soaking in an salty ice bath in an ice chest prior to butchering or cooking in the ground.

wapitibob

WKR
When I was a kid we hada Deer that stunk so bad when cooking we tossed it out. Since that time I separate every muscle, fillet off any outer casing or silver skin, and most of the gamey flavor is gone. I do the same thing for Antelope and Elk. Deer will still taste like Deer, a tad gamey but not bad. Antelope is the least gamey and Elk has just a hint.

I don't hang and age my meat but have found that the faster that you can cool the meat down the better. Growing up we lived on deer and elk keeping it clean and cool I think that is most important. Another thing is if your animal is full adrenalin maybe from a spook or poor shot just increases the gamey taste. Just my 2 cents.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Man! Thanks for the info, I am going to have to try that. If nothing else, I will atleast try it on a quarter just to make sure I do not mess up a whole animal my first time. Here in Az, I might have some problems keeping the temperature that cold for that long of a time period. Do you think If I just purchased another fridge, I should be able to get the same results? I am going to check out John's website, and I appreciate the info.

That's a good question. I did that exact thing for a few years with an old fridge and it worked. A little messy with the massive amount of blood loss the first week, but it did work. The meat molded a bit more as there's little circulation in a fridge, but like I said, you cut that layer off anyway.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Try marinating in Coke. It takes the gamey taste out....and who doesn't love Coke? I do this and I like the meat better.

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
What I have found is that all the gameness is in the fat, sinew, and sheath. I literally remove each muscle from it's sheath. In doing so, I don't have any gamey flavor at all. Only thing is that the meat is so lean, I need to cook it wrapped in bacon, or use some other from of fat, otherwise it ends up on the dry side. I also never cook past medium rare.

This. Have to remove all fat, silver skin, etc. Or it will be gamey.

I have eaten deer from sage country that most people think is very gamey, but I am meticulous about removing all of the silver skin and fat even for the meat I will grind. I think that is the key. I have aged them for up to 10 days but didnt notice enough of a difference to make it worth my time or the meat that I lost from aging.

twall13

WKR
My most recent buck has been fantastic with no gamey flavor at all. I'm not sure if it was a combination of what I did or one particular thing but I plan on processing all my deer the same way in the future. First, I deboned this one and got it hanging within an hour of when it was shot. Next, I let it age. I had cool enough temperatures that it was hanging for 4 days before I got it home. Once home I took out some shelves in my fridge and, even though it wasn't hanging, I let the meat sit in the fridge at about 35* for about 2 weeks before processing it. When I did process it, I took a looong time and cut out all of the tendons, silvery stuff, etc. Whatever the cause, this buck has been great eating! I hope my processing it this way was the cause for the great flavor and tenderness and not just the diet/location of the deer.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My most recent buck has been fantastic with no gamey flavor at all. I'm not sure if it was a combination of what I did or one particular thing but I plan on processing all my deer the same way in the future. First, I deboned this one and got it hanging within an hour of when it was shot. Next, I let it age. I had cool enough temperatures that it was hanging for 4 days before I got it home. Once home I took out some shelves in my fridge and, even though it wasn't hanging, I let the meat sit in the fridge at about 35* for about 2 weeks before processing it. When I did process it, I took a looong time and cut out all of the tendons, silvery stuff, etc. Whatever the cause, this buck has been great eating! I hope my processing it this way was the cause for the great flavor and tenderness and not just the diet/location of the deer.

Everything you did is why that buck tasted good. Even though I age 21-28 days, even 14 is good and looks like you hit that. Even aging silver skin and gristle won't help it, so your meticulous butchering does help.

Some bucks are good, some bucks are bad, but all are improved by aging and great meat care.

chindits

WKR
They don't compare to elk or moose in my book, but I don't age anything. The sooner I can process the better. I don't have the time or money to hang meat. Never really had an issue though since I only east elk steak plain with just salt and pepper. Everything else is usually cooked in stews, burgers, marinade, etc.... so I just can't say gamey meat is an issue. I might have to reassess that plan with bear or pronghorn....

2ski

WKR
Mule deer just have a more gamy flavor than whitetail. As stated, there are ways to minimize that, but it is a gamier deer.

Like sharptails and pheasants.

Mule deer just have a more gamy flavor than whitetail. As stated, there are ways to minimize that, but it is a gamier deer.

Like sharptails and pheasants.

I've got to disagree, the way I process my meat (stated earlier in the thread) eliminates the gamy flavor. Here is what I said:

"What I have found is that all the gameness is in the fat, sinew, and sheath. I literally remove each muscle from it's sheath. In doing so, I don't have any gamey flavor at all. Only thing is that the meat is so lean, I need to cook it wrapped in bacon, or use some other from of fat, otherwise it ends up on the dry side. I also never cook past medium rare. "

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've got to disagree, the way I process my meat (stated earlier in the thread) eliminates the gamy flavor. Here is what I said:

"What I have found is that all the gameness is in the fat, sinew, and sheath. I literally remove each muscle from it's sheath. In doing so, I don't have any gamey flavor at all. Only thing is that the meat is so lean, I need to cook it wrapped in bacon, or use some other from of fat, otherwise it ends up on the dry side. I also never cook past medium rare. "

I agree

Mule deer have a different flavor but if handled right, I don't think of it as "gamey". All the gamey ones I've had are because of no aging and not trimming like bubblehide

I think the biggest difference between mule deer and white tails (excluding Coues) is that white tailed deer are primarily in the lower lands, river bottom... and subsequently feeding on crops. Feed being an exceptionally important factor in what an animal taste like; just look at beef and the fact that what is considered better beef, happens to be finished on grass or grain. The finishing simply cleans out the gamey flavor.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think the biggest difference between mule deer and white tails (excluding Coues) is that white tailed deer are primarily in the lower lands, river bottom... and subsequently feeding on crops. Feed being an exceptionally important factor in what an animal taste like; just look at beef and the fact that what is considered better beef, happens to be finished on grass or grain. The finishing simply cleans out the gamey flavor.

Hey, that makes sense. Maybe that is why high-country bucks taste good- less sage and woody browse up high?