Mule Deer behavior with regards to forest fires (California)

I usually hunt 7k to 9k elevations. The mountain range that I hunt just got shut down due to a forest fire (Line Fire in San Bernardino, County, California). There are lower elevations available to hunt, but nothing higher than 4500 ft. Anyone know about mule deer behavior during a big fire? Do they leave their elevations and head lower, or will they stick generally to their elevation?

They are higher - the entire forest is closed to hunting and not slated to be open until November 30- so D-14 tag will be worthless - my advice is pick up a unit that still has available tags still .
You would think they would let you hunt 30 miles away but nope!

OP
BillBeachwood
They are higher - the entire forest is closed to hunting and not slated to be open until November 30- so D-14 tag will be worthless - my advice is pick up a unit that still has available tags still .
You would think they would let you hunt 30 miles away but nope!
Yeah, it's nuts. I picked up a D11 tag today. Not a great zone, but, hey, as long as I'm out there, I'm happy.

I already had my second tag so I’ll just hop around during rifle with a bow … or if anyone needs help - I got the glass

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Just about to scout my favorite hunting locale in SW Idaho today. Unfortunately, much of it appears to have been burned. I've read that deer tend to return to burned out areas rather quickly, and that the new clearings created often result in more browse for both deer and elk. Hopefully this is the case - it seems that way in some other areas in southern Idaho that were burned in the past.

this fire is about 44k acres- I bet it gets over 50k before they decide to actually put it out . It’s a scam for federal funding ….

cjdewese

WKR
It looks like some areas in the unit are still open. It may be worth your time to drive around the perimeter of the zone/closure and see if there may be some pockets that hold deer.

May be a good time to find some backup areas in your unit, in case it happens again. I had to do the same when they shut down the forest A few years back. Now I have several BLM areas that I am familiar with that I feel I can get it done if my regular area shuts down again.