Mudder boots for waterfowl hunting?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I haven’t but if they work there are few times I would have paid anything for them being ass deep in mud thinking that’s where I’m going to die haha
The video looks pretty impressive. But I’d rather hear from a RS member

Rich M

WKR
We have had a pair of mudders for several decades. They are well-made and the material has lasted well - they still look like new, purple. LoL!

One of my dad's favorite items to carry around and try to get folks to use. He asks me every trip and wants me to use them. It's a rolling joke now.

My main reason for not using them is that we typically do not hunt in real nasty mud, 8-10-12 inches of mud tops - that's not what you want mudders for. All we really need is a paddle as a walking stick.

The mudders work well in deep mud but do take some effort. Basically you get into this continuous rolling-style of walking, heel to toe - kinda like using an eliptical machine. Not bad for just setting decoys but tiring if you are trying to run down a cripple or have to go get one that fell dead 150 yards out.

The effort in using them is about the same as walking in FL sloppy mud about 10 inches deep/thick. To me that's normal. We have a few areas we hunt down here that are waist deep. That's the kind of mud I use them in - or better yet, use the boat to set the decoys and let buddy's dog fetch the birds.

They are square and have corners, will grab at thick submerged weeds & tallgrasses. You either power thru or lift your feet up higher to step over the weeds.

They are a good product - well made - will last a long time. Just have limitations.

The video with the guys walking on the mud is the real deal. Not all mud is that supportive, some is gooeyer and the mudders will sink down some, easier than being waist deep in it for sure.

Mudders vs those wooden "mud-shoes" - mudders will win in deep mud.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
We have had a pair of mudders for several decades. They are well-made and the material has lasted well - they still look like new, purple. LoL!

One of my dad's favorite items to carry around and try to get folks to use. He asks me every trip and wants me to use them. It's a rolling joke now.

My main reason for not using them is that we typically do not hunt in real nasty mud, 8-10-12 inches of mud tops - that's not what you want mudders for. All we really need is a paddle as a walking stick.

The mudders work well in deep mud but do take some effort. Basically you get into this continuous rolling-style of walking, heel to toe - kinda like using an eliptical machine. Not bad for just setting decoys but tiring if you are trying to run down a cripple or have to go get one that fell dead 150 yards out.

The effort in using them is about the same as walking in FL sloppy mud about 10 inches deep/thick. To me that's normal. We have a few areas we hunt down here that are waist deep. That's the kind of mud I use them in - or better yet, use the boat to set the decoys and let buddy's dog fetch the birds.

They are square and have corners, will grab at thick submerged weeds & tallgrasses. You either power thru or lift your feet up higher to step over the weeds.

They are a good product - well made - will last a long time. Just have limitations.

The video with the guys walking on the mud is the real deal. Not all mud is that supportive, some is gooeyer and the mudders will sink down some, easier than being waist deep in it for sure.

Mudders vs those wooden "mud-shoes" - mudders will win in deep mud.
Thanks! Yes the SC pluff mud depth can vary from a foot or less to knee deep or higher, and without much warning for the changes. I think they are worth a try for next season.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted the LC for 7 seasons, I know how awful it really is. Crowded, lack of ducks, crowded, no ducks, etc etc.
No such problems for me. Lots of ducks and no one around at all. The only bad part was my shooting!

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been eying those mudders last couple seasons, I may have to try them, there is a spot no one gets too due to nasty mud, I mean call a helicopter mud!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been eying those mudders last couple seasons, I may have to try them, there is a spot no one gets too due to nasty mud, I mean call a helicopter mud!
If they were just a little less spendy, I’d buy a few pairs.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner has had a pair for years and they work as advertised. We hunt a few tidal areas with DEEP mud, suck the waders off your legs, don't stop moving or you'll get stuck, thigh deep mud. The mudders help you navigate it, if not quickly then at least safely.

They take some getting used to, and they're not exactly fun to walk in, but they work.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
definitely tempting, was thinking of making my own mud pattens? Problem would be if anything failed your going to be there a while!

We just use a boat and dog...I live in SC and I don't mess with pluff mud...looks like these will give just enough confidence to get in over your waders. Problem with pludf mud is you don't know where the bottom is till you stop.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
We just use a boat and dog...I live in SC and I don't mess with pluff mud...looks like these will give just enough confidence to get in over your waders. Problem with pludf mud is you don't know where the bottom is till you stop.
Thanks to all with the feedback!

I hunt on the same property each time, and unfortunately those I hunt with are now without a dog, and sometimes I'm in a separate location on the property without a dog. In the locations we hunt on the property it's pretty much impossible to avoid the pluff mud. We do use a canoe - to get across the irrigation canals, and to pull when the water gets so shallow that we have to walk through the mud. We are pretty familiar with the water depths, but you are right that a surprise deep bottom can happen with the pluff mud - but we already have that problem. I've never gotten in past my waist, and we always use chest waders and a paddle as both a walking stick (and to test depth in advance of stepping forward). I'm thinking these are an additional tool to the above, but not a replacement for them.

@Rich M - have you seen your dad use the Mudders when getting into and out of a boat or canoe? I could see that being a hassle, and maybe cause to remove and put them back on.

One of our recent "upgrades" is to take ~2'x2' pieces of plywood to stand on when we are set up, and maybe these Mudders would eliminate or reduce the need for those.