MTNGear Mountain Bipod Review

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@Ryan Avery and I have seen many questions about the MTNGear bipods. Ryan was able to get one shipped to me for review. I got it a few days ago and have just started using it. The model I'm using is their Mountain Bipod, listed at 5 ounces. I first think it may be a great option for someone looking for an extremely lightweight bipod with a good range of adjustment. I'll continue using it through the spring and summer and possibly on some hunts this fall. Let me know what you would like to know about it.

20230308_181654.jpg

mt100gr.

WKR
Been looking at this bipod for a while. Looking forward to this review.

Initial questions are: how tight does it lock up in the folded position? Rattle? (Both under the barrel and/or back along the stock)

And, how tight does the mount fit the rail on the rifle? Slide on snug and click in positively?

I ordered one and am awaiting arrival! I’m hoping it will mount to my existing rails on my various rifles! (been using a hatch) Did you get one of their rails to mount it?

Hope it’s as good as I think it is!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Been looking at this bipod for a while. Looking forward to this review.

Initial questions are: how tight does it lock up in the folded position? Rattle? (Both under the barrel and/or back along the stock)

And, how tight does the mount fit the rail on the rifle? Slide on snug and click in positively?
There is some play in the legs in all positions. I'll check to see if they rattle or not. The rail mount is nice and snug.

I ordered one and am awaiting arrival! I’m hoping it will mount to my existing rails on my various rifles! (been using a hatch) Did you get one of their rails to mount it?

Hope it’s as good as I think it is!
I didn't get one of their rails. It seems like it will mount securely to most rails.

Very curious how stable it is, do the legs rotate or can you get a good pre load?
I have only used it on the bench so far, which is probably the worst test. The legs did rotate on recoil if I wasn't square behind the rifle. I wish there wasn't any panning function at all.

I don't see there being any issue getting a decent preload on it if shooting on natural surfaces like dirt, grass, or even rocks, as long as they're not really smooth.

I didn't get one of their rails. I tried it on a couple of different rails I had on rifles and they all worked well.

svivian

WKR
There is some play in the legs in all positions. I'll check to see if they rattle or not. The rail mount is nice and snug.

I didn't get one of their rails. It seems like it will mount securely to most rails.

I have only used it on the bench so far, which is probably the worst test. The legs did rotate on recoil if I wasn't square behind the rifle. I wish there wasn't any panning function at all.

I don't see there being any issue getting a decent preload on it if shooting on natural surfaces like dirt, grass, or even rocks, as long as they're not really smooth.

I didn't get one of their rails. I tried it on a couple of different rails I had on rifles and they all worked well.
Hey Justin forgive the question if this has been answered already somewhere else but have you also used the Hatch bipod? Im very curious how these two compare. thanks

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Justin forgive the question if this has been answered already somewhere else but have you also used the Hatch bipod? Im very curious how these two compare. thanks
I haven't used one enough to draw a comparison. I've only used one on one occasion a while back, and it was only a shot or two. They seem like a good idea overall and more similar to the MDT Ckye pod than the bipod in this review.

svivian

WKR
I haven't used one enough to draw a comparison. I've only used one on one occasion a while back, and it was only a shot or two. They seem like a good idea overall and more similar to the MDT Ckye pod than the bipod in this review.
I would be willing to send my spare for comparison purposes if you are interested.

I just sent back a mtn gear backcountry bipod because when it came the foot peg was not glued on and would pop on and off, and then one side of the bipod leg would rotate and pop on and off entirely while trying to adjust.

After reaching out to them They recommended I just super glue them myself but gave me the option to send it back for a replacement, so I am waiting for the replacement to arrive.

In general it looks like a sweet product, SUPER LIGHT!! And their customer service has been quick and easy to work with so I’m gonna give them a second chance and hope the replacement they send out doesn’t have any issues.

There is quite a bit of play and rattle while mounted, but nothing a simple rubber band doesn’t fix while packing if you plan to keep it attached all the time.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just sent back a mtn gear backcountry bipod because when it came the foot peg was not glued on and would pop on and off, and then one side of the bipod leg would rotate and pop on and off entirely while trying to adjust.

After reaching out to them They recommended I just super glue them myself but gave me the option to send it back for a replacement, so I am waiting for the replacement to arrive.

In general it looks like a sweet product, SUPER LIGHT!! And their customer service has been quick and easy to work with so I’m gonna give them a second chance and hope the replacement they send out doesn’t have any issues.

There is quite a bit of play and rattle while mounted, but nothing a simple rubber band doesn’t fix while packing if you plan to keep it attached all the time.
Thanks for the report. Let us know how the replacement works out.

zacko

FNG
Iv being using mine for 6 months now and am pleased, it does rattle on the rifle but I think it's mainly because it's not spring loaded.

It cants and pivots extremely well when attached and is almost impossible to move when not attached to the rifle so it's nice and firm no flopping around and nothing to loosen or tighten for cant its very intuitive to adjust the legs while behind the rifle.

The machining tolerances seem very snug so it left me puzzled about the rattle. it's awesome in the field you can get a good load on it and the foot design has gripped on all terrains iv used it on so far .

I'll also note it goes on and off the rifle in a matter of seconds and I don't actually carry it on the rifle so the rattle has not worried me one bit all and all very light and versatile option.

Zac

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I don't like is the leg adjustment. The twist lock on the legs is in the opposite direction from all the others I've used, so I constantly try to twist them the wrong way.

It would be amazing if someone could build a bipod like this with pull-out legs.

zacko

FNG
One thing I don't like is the leg adjustment. The twist lock on the legs is in the opposite direction from all the others I've used, so I constantly try to twist them the wrong way.

It would be amazing if someone could build a bipod like this with pull-out legs.
Their is the other nz made bipod the Backlanz which has notched spring loaded legs its abit heavier and the biggest design flaw to me is to pivot the bipod you have to put forward load on it and when you load it on a stationary target it pivots to easy so looses left to right stability somewhat . As a rule so far I haven't had to extend the legs on the mtn yet iv managed to get my height out of the legs spreading apart . Il admit when I do go to use the legs I almost turn the wrong way first everytime.