MT Mule deer must haves?

sprink

FNG
My kids and I will be hunting mule deer in MT for the first time this fall. I’ve got the basics like el 10x42 binos, 553 spotter, good pack, good boots and accurate rifles. I was thinking of getting another spotter like a 883 or something but don’t know it’s needed. So my real question is that are there some must have or even nice to have items I should be bringing along? If it matters my kids are 12 and 15 and looking at going somewhere around region 7.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
The gear you listed that you already have is more than sufficient. Eastern Montana weather can be very extreme with below zero temps and very high winds. I killed my deer here in October last year with snow on the ground and a couple degrees below zero that morning. So pack clothes accordingly.
The terrain that region 7 has is great for young kids but don’t expect to see many mature bucks (if that is your goal), but it is good place to get a kid their first buck. There is also some pretty extreme mule deer doe restrictions this season as deer numbers are down in regions 6&7.

OP
S

sprink

FNG
Thanks for the reply. We definitely aren’t looking for trophy deer just something bigger than the spike and fork and horn black tail that we typically see in western WA.

jimh406

WKR
Much of MT and Region 7 doesn’t have very good cell coverage. You might consider an inReach or similar.

Also, bring chains and keep in mind that if the weather rolls in, it might be a while before it calms down. Also, it can be quite a distance between fuel stations/towns.

TaperPin

WKR
An easy to use cow call is a must have and kids will learn a great deal from having it. This model is very compact and easy to learn - I keep it on the binocular strap where it can be used almost without thinking.

We had a deer get spooked and ran right at the saddle we were on going full speed - my wife was ready to shoot, but a bouncing deer is a no go. Blowing the cow call moderately loud got it’s attention and it stopped an easy 75 yard shot away - in the excitement my wife didn’t pick up a cartridge from the magazine and and at the firing pin fall the deer continued our way, passing 3 yards from us. Lol

Usually a deer will be walking out of sight or over a saddle and blowing just barely loud enough to hear will freeze it in it’s tracks and after it starts walking again will usually work a second time if the calls aren’t too loud. Cow elk sounds don’t raise as much attention as whistling or talking at them.

The fun part happens when you come across deer or elk and the kids can stop the animal without scaring it. It’s still fun for adults to do. Lol. Spike elk all by themselves are the most fun. Just barely let them hear the call - it might take a few minutes for them to go back to what they were doing, then blow it softly again. Repeat this and each time he gets more excited, until sometimes they will run right at you.5E8314FC-B7C0-4441-B84C-80E112A4150B.jpeg

Last edited:

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Are you camping? If so what’s your setup like? I agree an inreach is always nice to have and could be a lifesaver

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Very warm clothing as stated. The wind can be brutal and pretty much null longer shots. I would suggest lots of back up plans too don’t expect to be the only one around.

OP
S

sprink

FNG
I’ll definitely make sure we pack for cold weather. We won’t be camping but instead staying at a small hunting cabin I was able to book the time we’re there

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
There are still some good mulies in 7. You have to be patient and not take the first one. Anything less than a four point should be allowed to walk. Scout broken country AM and late PM. Be aware that rain can be a detriment given clay roads that can turn to gumbo instantly. Anything above 200 provides good BMA. Below you have to know the country and be damned careful. Poor weather can turn a hunting trip into a camping trip all too fast. MTG

asimpso94

FNG
A few buddies and I hunted region 7 a few years back. We camped, but, I was sure glad I brought hydration packets, dude wipes, and a good puffy jacket that I could pack down to nothing inside my backpack

270Hunter

FNG
From my experience the roads can get pretty bad in Eastern MT, so everything needed to get yourself out of a pinch is a must in my rig. Chains, shovels, Pulaski, traction boards, stuff like that! Should be a great time with your sons, good luck to you all!!

Mountneer

FNG
Those comments on wet roads are no joke......

A D9 cat on speed dial, if it rains. Nothing else (besides big wind, or time, or frozen roads) will work to extract you from that gumbo on BLM.

It wasn't quite clear from the post (you sound like you've got plenty of gear for yourself), but I'd make sure both of your kids has a pair of cheap binos of their own. Boredom will be your enemy in keeping them engaged and enjoying the hunt, so having their own glass will help with that. It's also a good way to teach them in tandem, walking them from landmark to landmark in the glass, etc.

OP
S

sprink

FNG
definitely both kids have their own gear. I was kinda contemplating getting another spotter and tripod so they could help glass further out but wasn’t sure if money would be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
definitely both kids have their own gear. I was kinda contemplating getting another spotter and tripod so they could help glass further out but wasn’t sure if money would be better spent elsewhere.

Something you might consider would be a high-power pair of binos - 15x or 18x, etc. When I first get eyes on a location I'll use my 8s to do a quick scan of the area, then pull out the 15s on a tripod and do very, very methodical glassing, quite often only pulling out a spotter to check on something I want more detail on than I can get with the 15s I found it with. I find that I can last a lot longer with the high-powered binos than I can with one eye squinting into a spotter, and got a lot more successful in general once I added the 15s. Regardless though, having that third type of glass on hand, while your kids already both have 8s or something, might be the variety you're looking for in keeping them occupied and rotating out between those and your spotter.

WCB

WKR
Tarp shelter to get out of wind or weather in general if wanting to take a nap or it starts to snow or rain. It is nice to find a cut or ledge set up the tarp and tuck in for a couple hours.

An inexpensive spotter and tripod wouldn't be a bad idea so not only can they help glass further but look at the same thing you are....Probably a better suggestion would be a high power pair of binos and a trip0d like RockAndSage mentioned. easier for them to use and more effective and general glassing.