MT Bighorn

dotman

WKR
Has anyone done the otc unlimited tag hunt? Have been considering taking on this challenge while i wait to draw in CO. Probably use a bang stick over the bow due to the quotas.

B

bearguide

i hear you can get a good ram that way, but you have to do a lot of pre season spotting to be ready for opening day because they are usually all shot the first day

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Thats what i was wondering because they show the avg days hunting and it usually is close to a week but that number i'm thinking is deceiving. Seems like some years the quota isn't met also.

I have hunted the Unlimited areas many times. If you have the time to scout and like Grizzly bears I would give it a shot. We always scouted for the seven days before the season and then would hunt the first three to five days. Every year we found sheep and my friend killed a really nice ram in there a couple of years ago. Don't expect to be the only hunter in there and remember these sheep live in the trees!

aggieland

WKR
I have also midly considered doing this type of hunt. It would be one hell of an adventure, especially coming up from Texas to try and scout then kill a ram as fast as possible. I would still try to use my bow, so that would probably make it on the verge of impossible. I still apply to MT every year and hope to draw a tag before I die.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin and I are planing on trying it this year. Should be a lot of fun and hey atleast your sheep hunting!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I have also midly considered doing this type of hunt. It would be one hell of an adventure, especially coming up from Texas to try and scout then kill a ram as fast as possible. I would still try to use my bow, so that would probably make it on the verge of impossible. I still apply to MT every year and hope to draw a tag before I die.

With the quota it almost has to be a solo hunt.

The way the quota system works is once the quota is filled the season will close 48 hours later. A example is if five guys with sheep tags were together in a unit with a two ram quota and they found five legal rams they could legally shoot all five. Once The Montana FWP was notified the would close the season 48 hours later. So remember you can keep hunting until the season is closed no matter how many rams have been taken.