MSR has problems (imho)

grainhog

FNG
The MSR Advance Pro 2 is my favorite tent. Not just my favorite 4 season, not just my favorite single wall, not just my favorite 2p. My favorite tent. I use it for everything from summer scouting to multinight skimo missions. Guess it works in my favor that I don't care about condensation at all.

When I bought the current generation two years ago, MSRP was $550, which stung. It's now $800. In fewer than two years, it's list price increased by $250, or over 45%. Forgive my ignorance of the latest breaking rokslide economical analyses, but I don't believe this can be attributed in substantive proportion to supply chain and inflation. I guess they just couldn't keep the things in stock, and figured, why not see how high we can go? Maybe it's 'simple supply and demand', but maybe it's also greedy outdoor conglomerate price gouging.

I wrote a 1 star review of the tent on their website yesterday entitled 'Awesome tent, absurd price' accusing them of price gouging, and they removed it. Maybe I just have my panties in a bunch.

If their customer service hadn't sucked badly on the past two warranty claims I filed on faulty Reactor stoves (one of which failed me on day 1 of a real deal 4-day opening week storm hunt at 9k' in the interior west last year--a failure for which, despite his valiant efforts, their genius employee was not able to find me at fault), maybe I wouldn't have written this novel of a post. But it all just kinda pisses me off.

But I'm just a hardo who needs rad tents so I'll just pay up and shut up after this.

ljalberta

WKR
Also a fan of MSR, but less so these days. I have a Hubba and a Hubba Hubba from 2016ish and 2018ish. I purchased an updated Hubba last year but had to return it based on how bad the poles were (rough cuts and badly splintering). Also the prices were significantly greater.

I still enjoy my current tents, but there’s better options for the price out there these days.

Well, Joe Biden said the economy is doing great and prices are down. If you’re not seeing that then the companies are price gouging and gosh darn it they better stop. So, check back in a couple days after they’ve gotten the memo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not many things are going down in price these days, no matter what that idiot white house spokesperson says. Sign of the times I guess.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Karz

FNG
Seems like a lot of companies now days keep increasing prices and lowering craftsmanship and customer service

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel your pain. I used to purchase Nosler ammunition (loaded) directly from their website w/ a small military discount. When the price of ammo really started climbing, their website prices stayed the same, but most everything was out of stock.

I had a bad feeling that when they finally did start restocking someone from their finance division said "hey our ammo is selling for double the price of our msrp, we should double our prices"

They obviously listened as their ammo is now double, maybe a little more, than it was two years ago. Inflation, supply issues- me thinks not. Let's make $, lots and lots of $.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
The MSR Advance Pro 2 is my favorite tent. Not just my favorite 4 season, not just my favorite single wall, not just my favorite 2p. My favorite tent. I use it for everything from summer scouting to multinight skimo missions. Guess it works in my favor that I don't care about condensation at all.

When I bought the current generation two years ago, MSRP was $550, which stung. It's now $800. In fewer than two years, it's list price increased by $250, or over 45%. Forgive my ignorance of the latest breaking rokslide economical analyses, but I don't believe this can be attributed in substantive proportion to supply chain and inflation. I guess they just couldn't keep the things in stock, and figured, why not see how high we can go? Maybe it's 'simple supply and demand', but maybe it's also greedy outdoor conglomerate price gouging.

I wrote a 1 star review of the tent on their website yesterday entitled 'Awesome tent, absurd price' accusing them of price gouging, and they removed it. Maybe I just have my panties in a bunch.

If their customer service hadn't sucked badly on the past two warranty claims I filed on faulty Reactor stoves (one of which failed me on day 1 of a real deal 4-day opening week storm hunt at 9k' in the interior west last year--a failure for which, despite his valiant efforts, their genius employee was not able to find me at fault), maybe I wouldn't have written this novel of a post. But it all just kinda pisses me off.

But I'm just a hardo who needs rad tents so I'll just pay up and shut up after this.
Also they only warranty their products for 3 years…

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s bad all around. There’s a business that I’ve spent thousands of dollars with over the past few years. They stuck me with a 20% restock fee when I wanted to exchange an item.

I sent a strongly worded letter.

Beendare

WKR
I don’t know the particulars at MSR but in my businesses, many material prices have doubled from prior to Covid. We used to build with an Indonesian hardwood- Ipe for decking, no more its more than tripled in price.

Don’t be fooled by politicians that blame corporations.
1) Taxing corps is a pass through expense to customers- us Driving up costs.
2) Increased gov regulation contributes to increased pricing
3) The current politicos driving up fuel cost to make renewables look better is a huge add on.

Think about any product and the amount of times its handled or shipped, like Tent fabric, thread, zippers, etc. It comes from petroleum byproducts under increased regulation, all of the raw materials are handled and shipped multiple times during manufacture-fuel times what, 4x, 5x, 10x?

If MSR is gouging- products are priced out of the market….they will soon change…or go under.