MR Pop up 18 for Saddle hunting?

Sawbucks

FNG
I am looking to get into saddle hunting. I have a MR pop up 18 that I hope to use for this purpose. Has anyone used this pack for this? Also, what are you using? How do you like it?

MiPublic

FNG
I am looking to get into saddle hunting. I have a MR pop up 18 that I hope to use for this purpose. Has anyone used this pack for this? Also, what are you using? How do you like it?
I think it very well could be the perfect saddle pack for quite a few people. Small enough to not take away from the "minimalist" saddle ideology, but with the shelf enough room to haul sticks, or pack late season gear and if need be, pack out a whole deer.

Good luck finding one though. The 18s have been discontinued since mid 2019 and are hard to come by. I've been looking for 2-ish months and have only found a couple but not in my size.

I even contacted MR to see if they had any laying around that I could purchase and they said no.

In theory a 28 would obviously work, but the 18 just seems like money to me.

JonathanT

FNG
The pop up 28 works well for mobile setups. Holds pretty flat to the tree for a low profile if your saddle hunting. Carry’s gear well also. The material is a little louder than I like for now hunting whitetail but still a great product. Great for packing out game if your need it. I have the 38 also. It’s bigger obviously and it’s a different setup with the lid and stuff pocket our front. Still a great pack but I use it less in a tree than I do the 28. 18 is great as well if you don’t need the space and if you can find one.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 28 and liked it. I upgraded to the 38 last season and I love it. It's the perfect pack for me.... when I'm hunting from the ground. I tried it in the tree and didn't like how loud, bulky, and cumbersome they are.
I bought a cheap Badlands pack that does the tree stand thing so much better. I can't pack a deer out with it, but it just plain works better for hauling things in and out.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

lukemcd44

FNG
I personally just got a kifaru stryker and it is a really great pack, especially for the mobile hunter.

Ramblr

FNG
Anyone interested in the 18 should call the Scheel's in Johnstown, CO. They had one marked down on their display rack when I was in there yesterday.

EGBARTSTJ

FNG
I used an 18 for the last couple years for packing in my stand and sticks for my public land sits and for my saddle from last year and it worked great for both applications! I have a 38 now for my 2-3 day hunts but use the tethrd predator pack with a Molle hydration bladder attached to the front of the predator pack seams like it will be a solid set up.