MR Pintler vs Exo pack

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to gear up for spot and stalk mule deer hunting in Kansas and Nebraska where I will have to pack my deer out. Will also get used for elk and possible aoudad hunts. Looking at the MR Pintler and the Exo with a 1800/3200/4800 option.

Thanks,

Keith

MR fanboy here with no Exo experience. I am very happy with my pintler but 40 liters fills up fast with gear for more than 1 or 2 nights. If you are looking for a pack that can handle longer trips, you may want to up the volume a bit.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Both are quality packs no doubt. I have both and for me the EXO seems the best for hauling and capacity. I’ve got a mix of the EXO bags so it’s easy to dial in the right size for whatever hunt I’m on.

Agross

WKR
I had a Pintler and liked it. Really liked that style of bag. Just wasn’t comfortable to me for some reason. I switched to an exo, k2, and I’m glad I did. Much more comfortable to me, and feels like it would haul loads better, although I unfortunately haven’t been able to test that out.

Does price matter? I have been running a pintler for 3 seasons now. Honestly does everything I need and haven't thought about upgrading. Packed out multiple deer/elk. I like that EXO is made in Idaho, but it was at lest a couple hundred more last I checked.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
EXO all the way. Their gear can handle your packout without any issue (bone in too). Their build quality is fantastic...and they are a great company to deal with in all aspects.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Pintler user here! Been using it since the '18 season when it was on the original guide light frame. MR CS upgraded me to the improved guide light MT frame when I needed to warranty it last season (one of the stays wore through in a section that is now much more reinforced). The waist band is definitely worth the upgrade!

I also picked up a Metcalf bag this year as I agree with the above comment: the pintler is just a little on the small side for a multitday backpacking bag. I made do by using the load shelf for my food on the way in knowing it wouldn't be coming out with me. But for a day pack it is perfect.

Capability-wise the MR frame can handle more than your body should be willing to carry. I've put myself in some foolish situations and the pack handled no problem. My legs on the other hand...

All that said, if I were in the market for a new pack system I'd want to try either EXO/Stone Glacier/Seek Outside next.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo the standing recommendation of the EXO 4800. Loving this pack and I can see it being the only hunting pack I need. Cinches down to day pack size very well and does not feel excessive at all in that mode.

I sold a MR Metcalf when I bought the EXO. The MR is a decent pack, but the EXO handles heavy loads much better in my opinion. I dig the pack bag features and layout too.

S.Clancy

WKR
If you could try both do that. People are different shapes, my brother, same size as me, loves his MR packs. They feel like trash for me, but I love my Exo. We both had a 120-130 lb load last year 1 tripping his archery elk, we looked equally miserable.

I wish I loved MR, then I could save some $$$. The Metcalf bag is how I would go if you went that route.

I personally have been running EXO since 2016 and love them. Have packed out mule deer and elk with the 4800 and it has done a phenomenal job for me. I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

cjdewese

WKR
I got the exo 4800 during their yearly sale and so far am stoked on the way it feels and packs. Haven't had a deer in it yet, but with what I've had packed in it so far its felt awesome.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
I got the exo 4800 during their yearly sale and so far am stoked on the way it feels and packs. Haven't had a deer in it yet, but with what I've had packed in it so far its felt awesome.
When do they have their sale?