MR Marshall/Metcalf questions

krojemann

WKR
I just recieved a '15 MR Marshall. The amount of straps/buckles were a bit overwhelming. I have some questions for those familiar with this pack.

uploadfromtaptalk1459914532936.jpg

The picture above shows 8 buckles (4 on each side, 2 high, 2 low). Are these just different options for the load lifters? The upper buckles used for when you want the load lifters, the lower buckles for when you don't? And the different buckles offer different angles of the load lifter straps? (Sorry if I'm way off here)

uploadfromtaptalk1459914658726.jpg

Next, does anyone know what these straps and buckles are for in the picture above? At first I thought the lid possibly, but not certain because the lid buckles make more sense where I have them.

Last, the product description states the lid removes into a hip day pack (fanny pack, I assume). Does anyone have an idea how the straps configure a fanny pack that can be mounted around your waist?

Thanks in advance.

The first buckle in your hand goes to the top of nice frame or when you want to use the load lifters can be buckled there on top of the load lifter, . The second picture the 2 buckles wrap over the top of bag enclosure and buckle to the nice frame at the bottom of the load lifters ( top of frame in middle) You will have 1 extra buckle on each side of frame that you wont use on the nice frame at the upper outer edge. This buckle is an extra for a different bag.

lift up your lid and the 2 in your hand will buckle in middle top of frame , there are 4 buckles in that area real close together

The load lifter sets are just a duplicate of the ones lower down at an elevated position. With that said the ones that face the harness side get clipped to the strap in your hand in the first picture. The other set the straps in your second picture go to so you can pull the top outer face of the bag into the frame.

I think I'm following. The top set of buckles are a duplicate of the bottom, I assume, incase the load lifter panel isn't present on the frame?

So just looking looking at the top 4 buckles only, the set at the very top is used with strap in my second picture to compress the top of the bag. The below those are used for the shoulder straps/load lifters? Sound right? Thanks

Here how i run mine. The two at the top of the lift kit, that face the shoulder straps - they hook to your shoulder straps. The two buckles in your second photo attach the the back two buckles of the lift kit and suck the back up and towards the frame. Those other 4 buckles stay tucked under the bag material. I used them to attach extra accessory straps to if I am packing horns to something awkward. Otherwise they arent really needed.

Ok. Good to know I'm on the right track, thanks.

Anyone have any idea how to make the lid/fanny pack work? Thanks again.

Here how i run mine. The two at the top of the lift kit, that face the shoulder straps - they hook to your shoulder straps. The two buckles in your second photo attach the the back two buckles of the lift kit and suck the back up and towards the frame. Those other 4 buckles stay tucked under the bag material. I used them to attach extra accessory straps to if I am packing horns to something awkward. Otherwise they arent really needed.

This. I've spent a couple days playing with all the buckles and strap options and this is what I found works best for me.

To turn the lid into a fanny pack, use the accessory straps that were stowed in one of the lid pockets from the factory. There should be two straps in there. Just clip them on the buckles of the lid and cinch it tight and your ready to go.

This. I've spent a couple days playing with all the buckles and strap options and this is what I found works best for me.

To turn the lid into a fanny pack, use the accessory straps that were stowed in one of the lid pockets from the factory. There should be two straps in there. Just clip them on the buckles of the lid and cinch it tight and your ready to go.

I just tossed the lid to the side while playing with the main pack, I need to go back and look at it, I didn't realize it may have straps in it.

I just tossed the lid to the side while playing with the main pack, I need to go back and look at it, I didn't realize it may have straps in it.
I agree, my lid didn't have any straps in it. No wonder I'm confused...

What everyone said is correct. On another note. You will love all those buckle options when you are cinching down a load. It is so nice to have a anchor point right where you need it when your doing a pack out.

I quickly found out MR customer service is top notch too. After a simple call about the accessory straps (or lack of), the nice folks at MR are shipping 2 out at at no charge. I'm really digging this pack, looking forward to packing some weight with it.

This is what I do as well. Transfers the weight to my hips.

Back