Moving to Oregon from CA

WRO

WKR
I left Oregon about 5 years ago, best move I made. That being said I still hunt Oregon nearly every year, easy and cheap land owner/outfitter tags.

That being said it’s not much different than California, and I sure as hell would not move to any major metro in the valley, they all suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m beginning to seriously consider relocating from Western Colorado to Southern Oregon to begin living a more slow paced (homestead) kind of life with my family. The primary draw to Oregon is my pay would increase (RN) and the cost of ~20 acre lots with or without homes is actually affordable relative to all but the absolute worst land in CO. The majority of sources I have found validate the plausibility of this plan (fertile land, temperate climate, relatively relaxed homesteading laws).

However, I want to make sure I’m not unduly writing off the flocks of people wanting to leave Oregon because it’s becoming too leftist. For the most part I’m inclined to believe what happens in Portland (200+ miles away) won’t really matter that much to me, the same way what happens in Denver doesn’t matter in Grand Junction. Is Oregon “doomed” even for someone who lives out in the sticks minding their own business and living a minimalistic lifestyle?
I live 80 miles from Portland. Most of my life I have lived like an ostrich head in the sand politically. The small town I live in has slowly gone more and more left. It has slowly drove me to despise this beautiful state. As far as real estate goes I find it hard to believe that there are nice 20 acre plots that sufficiently cheaper in Oregon compared to Colorado. I would highly recommend making a week vacation visit the area you are looking at try to meet some locals and see if the actual landscape aligns with the pictures you are seeing. Also remember our winters are wet. Even down south there is quite a bit of rain.