Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT - install stovejack?

ZDR

WKR
Has anyone modified this shelter with a stovejack and used a small stove in it?
Any safety concerns or other considerations I should know about before doing this?

Just picked one up and it seems very similar to a Kifaru supertarp except the 'vestibule' or annex is not removeable. I'm guessing this is a Patrick Smith design from his time owning MS.

Bighorner

WKR
I put a stove jack in mine and I'm pretty happy with it. I put mine in about the center of the front panel opposite the door about 2/3 the way to the top. Sewing it was a bit of a challenge, but I had never really used a sewing machine. My hang up was getting the machine to feed the slippery tent material at a constant rate. Some places I felt the needle holes were getting really close together which can weaken the material. As far as running the stove it is great for one person. I have not had issues with getting anything too hot, but I dont get the stove glowing hot either. The only thing I would change is cheating the stove jack a little higher up the panel. I got the stove jack from Bear Paw and use 12" cylinder stove.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Thanks! This is quite helpful. My wife is quite good at sewing so hopefully that part will go well.
Any chance you could send pictures via PM or post them here? That would help with knowing what spot you installed yours.
Thanks again!

Bighorner

WKR
I would go a little further up and a little further towards the back.

Attachments

• 20190908_113816.jpg
    20190908_113816.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 238
OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to see.

Thanks!
z

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Just ordered 2 small stove jacks from Bearpaw WD. 2nd one is for a 4m tipi.

I ordered the tapered one from Bear Paw and put it higher and further back a bit.

I encountered the same issue with sewing: tent is slippery and jack is not. I just pinned the crap out of it, then seam sealed it really well.
**if your wife is good at sewing, perhaps she won’t have the same problems I did

Works well - had two guys in it, plus gear and DIY stove for 2 nights and it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
I just saw this thread pop up and thought I would give a quick update. I still have the Mountain Smith, but I ended up retiring in Jan'21 and my retirement gift from my team was a SO Cimarron Lite and stove package.
So, I now have two stove jacks sitting in a box as I dont think I will ever get to putting one on the MS. Probably will get them on the classifieds soon.

Bighorner

WKR
After a couple years, this is still my solo go to shelter if biting bugs and rattle snakes are not bad. For the $, this is a pretty bomber shelter. The stove is better than nothing. It works better in the cimaron as far as even heating, but my MS will be on the ready line until I get too banged up to crawl in and out.

I’ve been running this shelter for 3 years now and love it. I‘m going to install a stove jack in the next couple of weeks, already ordered it and got it in the mail a few days ago. Now I just have to find the time to do it and figure out the best position for placing it. Seems pretty straightforward. I made the mistake of only ordering one the first time and ended up ordering a second one to use as a cover.
I’ll post some pics once i finish.

Poser

WKR
I have one that I bought back in 2013 or so and, believe it or not, Seek Outside installed the stove Jack for me. I haven’t used it in awhile but it’s always on stand by.

That’s awesome. They seem pretty bomb proof. I love it, mines been good to me. They’re super sturdy in heavy rain and wind. It’s my first floorless shelter. I was a little worried at first, but floorless is definitely the way to go for me after spending a couple seasons in it. Any recommendations on what stove to run in it?

*zap*

WKR
I think having a velcro attached stove jack is better than sewing. In case of an issue it would be e-z to switch and for non stove use you could make a vent to velcro in the opening. This is what ti-goat did with the vertex I have.

I use a 12" Lite Outdoors cylinder stove. I have found it to be a good fit. I really think an 18 would be a bigger hindrance than it's worth.
That’s good to know, I was considering going with something bigger because I wanted longer burn time. But if it’s going to be a hinderance in space and cumbersome, I might just go the smaller route.

I think having a velcro attached stove jack is better than sewing. In case of an issue it would be e-z to switch and for non stove use you could make a vent to velcro in the opening. This is what ti-goat did with the vertex I have.
I’ve been considering that as an option, I appreciate the input. Glad I jumped on here.